The old and unwieldy GTA4 thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I have both machines and I'm pretty sure I'll get the PS3 version (unless it's somehow significantly crappier than the X360 version). My reason for this might be silly, but in the past four months or so I've _tried_ to play on the X360 and the bastard's just so FREAKING LOUD! I mean the humming and whirring and whatnot distracts me so much I'd have to turn up the volume so loud that I couldn't play it at night or the neighbors would have a fit.

At 8 feet away from my tv needs around level !35! to cover 360's noise:LOL:

I'm, sure even MS knows that they are not going to make that 25mil back from downloadable content. What they hope to gain is to weaken the image of GTA as a Playstation game and take away sales from the PS3. It's a move to damage a competetors sales.
But Microsoft never spent $25 million on the content. They offered a $25m LOAN.

I'm not sure whether to be pleased or dissapointed with that. I'm glad its definatly coming to PC (which I had my doubts about) but 4 months later is a hell of a wait for this game.

Hopefully it will at least mean some decent upgrades for the PC version.

Less than before and who knows maybe the next one would be released at the same time on all platforms.

...the PS3 version (unless it's somehow significantly crappier than the X360 version).

I don't expect it to be significantly crappier - it wouldn't be "politically correct" towards Sony, and they got help from Sony with the game. However, we've been hearing months in advance from the developers about DMC4 and Burnout and COD4 how the two versions are identical, and very little now from Rockstar.

As for graphical quality of the previous games: they weren't "screenshot good", but they were extremely impressive in terms of world size and streaming. I hope to be surprised this time around too :)

Well, with all the great exclusive games for 360 this year don't you think they've done that plus give 360 owners content that PS3 owners miss out on?

I can't believe that having optional extra content is being spun as a negative. Some of you people clearly take the Great Console War so seriously you seem to have lost touch with reality. Whether or not it's something you personally want, surely you can accept the fact that it is better to the choice of having it than not to, right?

It's not a negative..but its not going to sway alot of people. The only reason I mentioned COD4 because its huge right now and if it wasn't availiable on the ps3 I think it would of sway alot of gamers in their decision. I will be getting it on the ps3 because of wifi and my 360 is broken(one red light out of warranty)...I will get it fixed but not in any rush.

What they hope to gain is to weaken the image of GTA as a Playstation game and take away sales from the PS3. It's a move to damage a competetors sales.
So is every exclusivity agreement. What's your point?

Attacking Heavenly sword seems strange. As far as we know that game did better than just break even. So it wasn't like they were throwing money away just for bragging rights.
Do you really think the huge part of the budget devoted to the cutscenes made an equally huge impact on sales? It was one of the only good PS3 exclusives out at the time. Take away all that costly stuff and HS probably manages 80-90% of the sales.

So in the end Sony was throwing away money for bragging rights, IMO. Even with GTA, we'll never really know if MS is "throwing money away" or not because we won't know how many consoles it sells in the long term with this, or what the picture would look like without the agreement.

The point is the majority of people who bought and played GTA3 game did not even finish the single player game. I've talked to many people who never even unlocked all of the areas in SA.

Not finishing the main game does not diminish the appeal of dlc. Dlc is a way to breath more life into a game that may be sitting on your shelf. I'll use Oblivion as an example. I initially never finished the main quest. Yet, I bought Knights of the Nine when it was available for download. Played that for a while but didn't finish it either. The game went back on the shelf. Eventually I downloaded Shivering Isles and finished that one. Then later I went back and finished Knights of the Nine. After that I finally finished the main quest. The point is that dlc revitalized an old game. Given the estimate of GTA4 being 100 hours, I most likely will not complete the main quest. I'll still get the dlc when it comes out though. Just because I've grown tired of the main quest, doesn't mean I won't be interested in more side missions!

I don't expect it to be significantly crappier - it wouldn't be "politically correct" towards Sony, and they got help from Sony with the game. However, we've been hearing months in advance from the developers about DMC4 and Burnout and COD4 how the two versions are identical, and very little now from Rockstar.

As for graphical quality of the previous games: they weren't "screenshot good", but they were extremely impressive in terms of world size and streaming. I hope to be surprised this time around too :)
we have heard from R* that both versions will be identical. we have also heard several previews saying they are as well.

So is every exclusivity agreement. What's your point?

Do you really think the huge part of the budget devoted to the cutscenes made an equally huge impact on sales? It was one of the only good PS3 exclusives out at the time. Take away all that costly stuff and HS probably manages 80-90% of the sales.

So in the end Sony was throwing away money for bragging rights, IMO. Even with GTA, we'll never really know if MS is "throwing money away" or not because we won't know how many consoles it sells in the long term with this, or what the picture would look like without the agreement.

Or they were throwing money after it so they would have a great product. Should they have motion captured the amazing dog that can stand on 2 legs instead?

As i see it they used the best resources on hand to create this game. And Heavenly Sword is still an amazing game thanks to this. Sony has every right to Brag.

Or they were throwing money after it so they would have a great product. Should they have motion captured the amazing dog that can stand on 2 legs instead?

As i see it they used the best resources on hand to create this game. And Heavenly Sword is still an amazing game thanks to this. Sony has every right to Brag.
More importantly IMO they were using it as a landmark test-case for high-end production. They've pioneered using cinema actors and direction with capture technology to elevate game cinematics from the half-baked efforts we're used to, and that experience will help improve the whole experience. They did similar with Motorstorm. It had to be spent out somewhere if games were ever to integrate Hollywood style cutscenes. Obviously you'd love a huge blockbuster seller to get returns on your investment, but the experience itself is worth a good deal of investment and will likely have returns across other products. Truth is they'd get 80-90% of sales with less quality cutscenes. Likewise with less quality graphics, or cutting back a bit on the sound. And that's the same for all titles. Guild Wars gets great sales with totally rubbish scripting and cutscenes. So why ever bother? Because they're aiming for a better experience. The artists involved want to create something their proud of, rather than just create a product at most economical expenditure <> ROI they can.

I pre-ordered this today. For all the Aussies out there, JB Hifi have a deal where you get 500 MS points plus a GT4 licence plate if you pre-order. The added bonus here is JB normally have games for the cheapest price when they launch. One interesting note is they've sold out of the LE on both 360 and PS3 - not bad for such an expensive bit of equipment.

The bad news is it's out on the 29th here.. that's two weeks after the US version IIRC :( If it's region free I might just order from Play-Asia and cancel my pre-order.

One other thing... I'm going overseas for a few weeks and I just realised it'll be over the week the game is due out here. Does that mean I lose my pre-order bonus stuff in the event I pick it up a week late? Anyone had any experience with this?

I pre-ordered this today. For all the Aussies out there, JB Hifi have a deal where you get 500 MS points plus a GT4 licence plate if you pre-order. The added bonus here is JB normally have games for the cheapest price when they launch. One interesting note is they've sold out of the LE on both 360 and PS3 - not bad for such an expensive bit of equipment.

The bad news is it's out on the 29th here.. that's two weeks after the US version IIRC :( If it's region free I might just order from Play-Asia and cancel my pre-order.

One other thing... I'm going overseas for a few weeks and I just realised it'll be over the week the game is due out here. Does that mean I lose my pre-order bonus stuff in the event I pick it up a week late? Anyone had any experience with this?

April 29th is also the North American release date.

I expect both versions of the game to be nearly identical, selling huge quantities on both systems. The download content on the 360 will probably sell fairly well with the hardcore GTA fans, and I'm sure it will be priced pretty high. They probably won't get too much from the more casual GTA fans, like myself.

I heard some guy on gametrailers saying the game would be more likely to move consoles for Sony, because there would be more Sony fans waiting for GTA4 to come out. Not sure if I agree with that as it's not exclusive and people have known for a long time that it would be available for both. Could be true as it was always a big series on the playstation.

Wouldn't 2:1 be less than some other multiplatform games like COD4 and AC?

Wouldn't it be less than the installed base in NA?

Wouldn't 2:1 be less than some other multiplatform games like COD4 and AC?

I think the NA numbers were a bit more than 2:1 for Cod4 360 vs ps3, but less than 2:1 for AC. In any event as has often been mentioned before, attach rates (for individual titles) always drop as the install base goes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back