The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

First episode of Star Trek Lower Decks.

I was expecting to hate it, went into full rage at the first poster showing a ship without any lower decks :runaway:

But the trailer showed a lot of promise IMO.
The ship is weird but actually kinda cool like a bunch of the Wolf-359 oddities, I actually dig it after seeing it from other angles (& I think they refined the design).

First episode is very frenetic & I enjoyed it.
JJ-verse movies, Discovery & Picard go 'look we understand this Stor Trak stuff, here is some Fay-zors and Train-spork-ters'

These guys are falling over themselves to show they know & understand ToS & TNG.

Aside from the obvious script & front-of screen references Ep1 is full of little TNG references in places you'll have to watch it repeatedly/frame-step through to spot.
It actually feels like its set in TNG era and thats exciting.
cJP1IJe.gif

The crew are diverse & likeable.
People may not dig the Rick & Morty style animation & jokey script but I'm OK with it.

Agreed! I went in thinking I'd hate it, my son actually interrupted me halfway through and asked why I was watching that garbage and explained how it's getting shredded on the net as awful and all I could say to him was, "But I kind of like it, it's funny."

I've lived in this universe when the original was still on the air and I've followed it pretty faithfully. I know every inside reference and background gag, and find the concept itself rather hilarious as I never could quite picture the future as being quite that perfect if people were still their normal arsehole selves a bit.

Looking forward to the next one. I'm not hooked yet, but I'm definitely following. :)

Last edited:
Agreed! I went in thinking I'd hate it, my son actually interrupted me halfway through and asked why I was watching that garbage and explained how it's getting shredded on the net as awful and all I could say to him was, "But I kind of like it, it's funny. I've lived in this universe when the original was still on the air and I've followed it pretty faithfully. I know every inside reference and background gag, and find the concept itself rather hilarious as I never could quite picture the future as being quite that perfect if people were still their normal arsehole selves a bit.

Looking forward to the next one. I'm not hooked yet, but I'm definitely following. :)
You told your son that full explanation or it was missing a closing quote?

Finished watching a totally cheesey filled Amazon Prime Original called Jean Claude Van Johnson. Its so over the top but exactly what it has to be. Humor could be better, but it was a nice change of pace.

Netflix has just released a historic gaming documentary series called High Score [Wikipedia] - I've not had a chance to look at it yet, the synopsis is:

High Score features interviews and segments around the creation and development of video games in the 1980s and 1990s. These are intermixed with animated segments rendered in a pixel art-style similar to video games of this period.

High_Score_title_card.jpg

It wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. I wish they did less jumping around between different stories within the same episode. I think they did that to cover things in a linear fashion and give it a sense of competition, but it may have been less coherent because of it. I did skip one episode of the six that dealt with Role Players since the synopsis didn't seem interesting or that it had anything to tie into electronic gaming.

Just finished Homeland, was a great last season. Really tense and fulfilling finale. I'll really miss the series but we got a full 8 seasons of excellent stories and characters so I can't complain.

Also Netflix is a joke. The only shows they're ever going to keep renewing is anything that doesn't cost much to produce due to the lack of any per-show increased revenue. Altered Carbon was just cancelled.

I did skip one episode of the six that dealt with Role Players since the synopsis didn't seem interesting or that it had anything to tie into electronic gaming.

Huh? Lack of interest could be an excuse but there is a real and existing chain of context from D&D through Ultima / Phantasie / Bard's Tale etc to Oblivion/WoW/etc and any recent MMORPGs...

That's disappointing.

Not surprising though. Season two wasn't exactly great. Really soggy love story trown in for whatever reason and lots of SJW bullshit.

Which is also why I don't like high score that much. It's alright, it's obviously aimed at the more casual gamer I guess but does every episode really need 5 minutes of SJW bullshit?

"I was born in the wrong body", "How must he have felt being one of the few black guys in silicon valley?", "I'm black and gay and made the pixels in Madden black".

I don't care you're gay. I don't care you're black. Stop trying to make it into a thing.

Not surprising though. Season two wasn't exactly great. Really soggy love story trown in for whatever reason and lots of SJW bullshit.

Which is also why I don't like high score that much. It's alright, it's obviously aimed at the more casual gamer I guess but does every episode really need 5 minutes of SJW bullshit?

"I was born in the wrong body", "How must he have felt being one of the few black guys in silicon valley?", "I'm black and gay and made the pixels in Madden black".

I don't care you're gay. I don't care you're black. Stop trying to make it into a thing.
What on earth are you on about?

Also, representation is not about 'trying to make gay/black/anything a "thing"'. Representation is important, and that's the end of it.

Altered Carbon Season 2 was utter trash compared to Season 1 which was actually brilliant. Budget was way lower and the story was comical at best.
Same for the last season of The Expanse (which has some of the worst acting ever).
Thankfully The Boys Season 2 is coming out next week.

Yeah season 2 was quite bad, probably had a lot to do with the cancellation.

yeah since season 2 was so bad it's not a big loss. we have the books still

What on earth are you on about?

Also, representation is not about 'trying to make gay/black/anything a "thing"'. Representation is important, and that's the end of it.

Except they are. Why does it have to be mentioned every time somebody is gay or black or whatever? Does it matter? I don't hear anybody say I'm a white heterosexual.

I don't care if you are black or white or gay or not. If we want everybody to be treated the same everybody should be treated the same. And that includes not putting gay or black or whatever people in there just because they are gay or black or whatever.

Ehm, you have to understand that you are having an interview with an elderly woman who was actually the boy playing in the tournament. And there is barely more attention given to it than that.

And yes, the other guy was in fact a trailblazer in that respect. Even then it isn’t given that much attention. The guy’s garage reminded me very strongly of Rick & Morty ... didn’t watch beyond that though.

Watching Lucifer, I am somehow hoping it is the final episode. It certainly is playing out like it is. The show isn’t great, but I keep watching it. This season has a lot of payoffs though.

Except they are. Why does it have to be mentioned every time somebody is gay or black or whatever? Does it matter? I don't hear anybody say I'm a white heterosexual.

I don't care if you are black or white or gay or not. If we want everybody to be treated the same everybody should be treated the same. And that includes not putting gay or black or whatever people in there just because they are gay or black or whatever.
As a gay male, I agree. Representation is needed, I don't think anyone's denying that, but I've only watched a few shows that do it right. I don't expect being gay turned out into a big deal, I just want it to be normal, that's it. For instance, I liked the old gay couple in The Expanse or the way gay/bi characters where addressed in Black Sails.

For those who haven't seen it yet, the youtube premium series Cobra Kai is now available on Netflix. Both seasons are available. It is set in the Karate Kid universe, 34 years after the 1984 All Valley Karate Tournament.

Back