The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by London-boy, Jul 29, 2015.

1. wco81

Legend

Been rewatching Bron seasons 2 and 3, before watching season 4.

2. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

I've been watching Dark. Near the tail end of season 2. Its good, but I much prefer Steins;Gate series when it comes to shows about time travel, alternate timelines, and worlds. SG has far less plot holes and doesnt go entirely incestuous with family brush (it's no tree).

Going to start Warrior Nun next.

orangpelupa and digitalwanderer like this.
  3. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I watched Westworld season 3. I'm not sure if I liked it or not or whether the direction the story went is good.
    Watched the first episode today. Have to say I'm intrigued. The title is terrible but I'm definitely going to try the whole season.

BRiT likes this.
  4. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

I much preferred the earlier seasons. I still can't decide if season 3 was good or bad. It was different from 1 and 2. I would have been happy with another season or two just like the first two before it jumped to the Season 3 plot (now set as hypothetical season 4 or 5). Not sure how their Season 4 will resolve or continue, if it will continue on from the same point or jump ahead.

orangpelupa likes this.
  5. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

i liked westworld season 3 but i am a sucker for sci-fi and even though westworld started with the western trope, it always had to branch out of the park
    or it had to end before the hosts could get out

6. WhiningKhan

Newcomer

I had the feeling that WW was not really going anywhere on first two seasons, I don't mind the change of course at all. But I don't see any need for further seasons.

Just finished the last episode of Watchmen. Good stuff.

7. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Uhm, are the first four episodes of the second season of Doom Patrol out or is that just for select viewers? :|

8. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

TL;DR: AT&T fucked it up like everything they touch.

It's out on DC:Universe in the USA. Outside the US, I think it's available as part of Crave or even Netflix. Despite it being owned by AT&T, it is not on their HBO Max platform. Max doesn't mean what you think it means, because of AT&T. This is purely AT&T being AT&T by not having a clue as to what consumers find worth in. Despite them owning the content, they're rotating their titles in and out of the service. They also don't have their app available on the Amazon Fire and Roku Platforms. Way to disinterest the majority of streamers by not having your own materials available at all or not available on the mainstream platforms.

With that said, it is available via magical means...

digitalwanderer likes this.
  9. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

Warrior Nun gets better. The first two episodes have way too much exposition, poor writing. It's clearly not a complex story but an interesting premise with Ava as the differentiator. Some great fighting scenes with with warrior nuns.

London-boy and BRiT like this.
  10. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

Whoa just finished the control. Makes me remember person of interest hahaha.

11. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

I agree. I could do without some of the voice overs, but that seems toned down a bit in the third episode. I haven't seen beyond that, yet.

If anyone is going to give this a watch, I think they should watch at least the first 3 episodes. The first didn't get into anything substantial, the second showed some more aspects, but it wasn't until the third where it seems to settle into more of the story.

orangpelupa, digitalwanderer and Malo like this.
  12. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Finished Warrior Nun, and the totally not-ending makes me want to recommend everyone not to watch it until a second season arrives.

Of course that might lower the chance that there will in fact be a second season ...

A1xLLcqAgt0qc2RyMz0y and BRiT like this.
  13. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Yeah, it ended with everything up in the air, but the latter episodes are so much better than the first couple episodes.

14. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

The episodes quality also inconsistent. IIRC episode 6 is the worst. It's as if the first half was just an afterthought to bridge between episode 5 and 2nd half of episode 6.

Btw the ending reminds me of the Korean zombie Netflix series. Felt really abrupt... Chopped off... In case of that zombie series, the 1st and 2nd season was supposed to be one season.

A1xLLcqAgt0qc2RyMz0y and BRiT like this.
  15. Svensk Viking

Regular

Watched Netflix' Ju-On Origins and it was ok, the story wasn't my cup of tea. It did benefit by just being 25-30 mins per episode though, it made it a decent go-to series in the absence of anything else.

The Valhalla Murders. Also an ok series but nothing special IMO, main reason I watched it was simply to practice my Icelandic.

I also watched Shaka Zulu, had watched it a long time ago but had forgotten more than I thought, and found that one to still be good.

#1855 Svensk Viking, Jul 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    BRiT likes this.
  16. DSoup

DSoup meh

We watched Space Force early in the week and really enjoyed it. It's a good mix of comedy and politics with an injection of how things really work in the private defence sector.

For somebody who has orbited these career paths for a long time, it hits the spot but I can see how a lot of the black humour wouldn't hit home for folks who have not worked in these sectors. It feels that they wrote it for a very niche audience compared to say The Office which works broader because
    vastly more people who worked in an office and can relate to those situations.

17. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

Watched the first two episodes of when they see us. Pretty good so far but the color grading is absolutely horrible.

Colors with Dolby vision are so washed out, to the point I thought something was wrong. I checked on my SDR phone and it looked slightly better but still poor overall.

18. Tkumpathenurpahl

Tkumpathenurpahl Oil my grapes.
    Veteran Newcomer

Nicely done

DSoup likes this.
  19. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Stellar.

eloyc, Tkumpathenurpahl and BRiT like this.
  20. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Brave New World, never read the novel and had no idea other than dystopian world. I was surprised how much sex scenes they actually included in telling the story. I figured it would have been scaled back because its NBC studios. I can see some tuning out because if that. Overall it's an interesting story being told with good production quality.

Malo likes this.