The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

I also ended up completely binging it. There is a thread in the story they have to be careful not to over rely on lest they make the whole story arch and whatever happens a complete puppet show but other than that it is really good. It stands on its own and that the show is based on a game barely matters.
Lol I think it’s been setup to head that way for sure. But yea I agree lol. There are other things to explore for now though.

Yen's beginnings are referenced in the book The Last Wish, which I read after playing The Wild Hunt which AFAIR did not mention this. And having seen more episodes, much of the TV series is from that book.

That is really encouraging to see. I haven't started it yet (no time), but now I'm really looking forward to it. I've read all the books (even the short stories) but have yet to play through all the games. :p

Regards,
SB

Subscribed to Netflix for the first time today. Have an instant really fucking annoying gripe with their service. The Netflix site and app autoplays a preview video of the movie/show and there's no way to disable it. That kind of behavior just makes me want to cancel the service immediately. I do not want some video and audio playing automatically on my TV simply browsing content.

These kind of decisions made by executives simply because it probably increase viewer response to a show is just disgusting, I hate that kind of company behavior.

I don’t know what apps you use but it isn’t happening on my devices anymore. So I’m not sure it isn’t a setting ... ? Or maybe it’s just that the audio is off by default now.

Quality of the app and service are way above any others I’ve tried.

I don’t know what apps you use but it isn’t happening on my devices anymore. So I’m not sure it isn’t a setting ... ?
I'm using the Netflix app on my Shield. There's basically zero settings available.

Just wait until you get to episode 4.

Total surprise to me of having two timelines going on! Many things just clicking and falling into place. Now I definitely want to rewatch the series when I'm done. This was more of a surprise than
WestWorld

Yes, they did a piss-poor job of explaining the different
character's timelines
. A couple of friends dipped in and out because it was confusing. It's really easy to miss a crucial line of dialogue like..

When Yennefer is riding in the carriage in episode four, she casually drops she's been court mage for three decades

It's an interesting story told badly. I hope it gets a second season but and I hope they rethink their approach to telling stories because it feels like they bought the books, tore out all the pages, shuffled them and just shot those stories in that order end-to-end.

I can see why quite a few critics, not familiar with the source material, utterly panned it (58% critic score on Rotten Tomatoes).

2nd season secured. I agree that it took a while to figure out timeline crossing; missing something can be painful and there is a lot of fast forwarding and jumping. The dialog moves fast. My wife likes the show; provided I keep telling her what’s going on.

2nd season secured. I agree that it took a while to figure out timeline crossing; missing something can be painful and there is a lot of
fast forwarding and jumping.

There are so many ways they could have implied a
different time, like different clothes/styles, hair or facial scars
. They really didn't think this through.

There are so many ways they could have implied
a different time, like different clothes/styles, hair or facial scars.
They really didn't think this through.

They did. It was intentional to not have it fully established as that for exactly the same reason Westworld didn't. It's part of their hook and twist.

I'm using the Netflix app on my Shield. There's basically zero settings available.

It all depends on the device you use and what the content is you're navigating through, the more capable devices have the auto-preview when the content has trailers associated with it. Not all content has that, so there's nothing for Netflix to show. I wish they had it default to off and only trigger when you hit an "info/trailer" button .

I wish they had it default to off and only trigger when you hit an "info/trailer" button .
Yes, that's a normal interaction in media browsers. From what I've read, they refuse to acknowledge that many people don't like it and will not be changing it.

It's even more stupid that it doesn't seem to remember that you're watched those trailers many times already. At least in the browser I can turn off the audio and it remembers that.

By the same notion, I wish Amazon would stop injecting their own trailers before the item you're watching. At least you can fast forward it, but it's still a hassle.

They did. It was intentional to not have it fully established as that for exactly the same reason Westworld didn't. It's part of their hook and twist.

I don't get this at all - the intention not your comment. Why take such great source material and twist it so it's less accessible and, in places, downright confusing? It's no wonder the reception has not been great. :runaway:

Who sits down and reads a great story and says to themselves? "You know want this needs? To make less sense. Let's do it."

So far with 1.5 episodes of Watchmen, it seems way overrated.
I think it was the second or third episode of The Watchmen that hooked me. It’s an excellent mini-series (it was supposedly written for one season). Give it a little more time.

Yes, that's a normal interaction in media browsers.

Not just media browsers but web browsers in general. I'm really REALLY starting to hate HTML5. At least before with Flash video it was easy to just disable Flash so that videos and video snippets didn't autoplay on websites.

Now with HTML5 there's seeming no way to stop them. I even have that experimental setting in Chrome set to not autoplay videos and they STILL FREAKING AUTOPLAY. It's annoying as all heck.

That's a huge pet peeve of mine when video on a webpage just starts autoplaying with no option to not have them do that. It's especially bad on any sort of news site. Hell you can't even stop them by scrolling down the page because they freaking follow you. AAAUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHH.

Regards,
SB

Back