The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

Question : Episode 4 of the Witcher
is the girl getting married the same girl that's in the forest

No. That is Princess Pavetta, not Princess Ciri.

The Girl in the Woods (Ciri) is the Daughter of the Girl Getting Married (Pavetta).

The mother of the daughter getting married (Pavetta) and the grandmother of the girl in the woods (Ciri) is the Queen (Calanthe) who died in the first episode.

I finished Watchmen last night and I quite enjoyed it but the way some folks were raving about it, I was expecting something spectacular. At least they nailed the non-linear story telling which made perfect sense in Watchmen, unlike The Witcher which I'm still scratching my head over that decision, then to do it so badly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I do agree that the Witcher narrative time travel could have used some framing or signposting but it was pretty obvious to me what was happening after like a minute or so. And I do understand the decision, there are parts that have not been visible to all characters that make more sense to tell at the moment they find out, it’s just that even that isn’t framed.

Overall, I did like The Witcher. But I think the middle episodes were weak.
I haven't read the books.
The episode I disliked most of all were when Ciri went with that Doppler. The Doppler was supposed to know everything about the persons he imitates, yet he made it super obvious that he didn't want to answer any of her questions. IMO it had been better if he had tricked her but then failed when she asked for a magic trick.
It just felt bad and immediately made me think of why I stopped watching the Legend of the Seeker.

I also found the battle with the mages boring. And it seemed like they held the soldiers at bay initially but they didn't even attempt to counter the magic. And they didn't even seem to have guards at night when the first fireball was thrown.

The series has potential though. Other series I think have had a weak start but grown strong were Black Sails and Expanse.

Yeah I do agree that the Witcher narrative time travel could have used some framing or signposting but it was pretty obvious to me what was happening after like a minute or so. And I do understand the decision, there are parts that have not been visible to all characters that make more sense to tell at the moment they find out, it’s just that even that isn’t framed.
And it would have been so easy to do this with different outfits/clothes, hair or in Geralt's case - some facial scars he picked up over time. :no:

I'm somewhere in middle of season 4 episode 6 of The Expanse and it's moving so damn slow to be annoying. At least the production quality remains the same, just a shame about the pacing.

I'm somewhere in middle of season 4 episode 6 of The Expanse and it's moving so damn slow to be annoying. At least the production quality remains the same, just a shame about the pacing.
Season 4 is a slower season. But it's setting itself up nicely for Season 5. Which is going to be insane.

I didn't mind the pacing of Season 4, but I enjoy slow burner TV shows and movies. Agreed on the production quality, didn't seem to be lacking at all.

Wife and I watched ep1 of The Witcher last night. Definitely looking forward to the rest of the season. I think Henry Cavill nails Geralt completely, the voice and dry tone were perfect.

We're halfway through BBC's His Dark Materials which gets right everything the Golden Compass got wrong or tried to compress.

I remember when TV used to be a poor cousin to cinema but as a medium it gives more complex stories the time they need. And while modern TV production techniques may trail movies, it's can be more than good enough. That said, I do wish TV shows were edited as ruthlessly as movies. I've not seen a single great TV show that didn't have a good amount of filler.

Last edited by a moderator:
In regards to his dark materials I have to say I'm impressed by the production and effects. The animals are crazy good and wouldn't look out of place in a film.
Yup. Often the quality of the raw effects is good but the animation is lacking, but HDM does the daemons justice.

I've not seen a single great TV show that didn't have a good amount of filler.

Japan anime and live action "drama" is one of the worst... So many fillers

IIRC Gintama or saiki kusuo psynan even jokes about that in one of their episodes

Expanse season 4 was good, but I feel like if pacing was more like season 2 or 3 the entire storyline over 10 episodes would only take 6 episodes and we'd be on our way into the next phase.

I didn't finish watching the first episode of The Witcher, that stuff is too deja vu and cliche for the old me. I already watched (or played this) hundred of times.

I did watch the first 3 episode of The watchmen, but again I feel no desire to continue watching it. The movie was all about big stakes like cold war, world war, end of the world, meaning of life, meaning of love etc. but here they tried to modernize it in an idealized 2019 society and failed. The big stakes in 2019 should still be what they were 20 years ago at least in my opinion.

I think I have being spoiled by The Boys. I just can't wait for the second season and I just really hope they won't pull a Heroes Season 2.

Back