The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

Really enjoy [...] Shohreh Aghdashloo's work in this show.
:love:

That.

Also, I'm so excited. I didn't know that season 2 had begun. Now I'm going to make something special out of this and I will keep savouring the wait a few more weeks. :D

24: Legacy. Thought I'd give it a chance but it's even worse stupidity than Designated Survivor bullshit shoved into mindless 'merican brains. Couldn't even finish the episode.

Watched the first episodes of Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, Santa Clarita Diet, and Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency. Lemony Snicket was surreal and appropriately weird (in a safe, seen-it-all-before, Tim Buron kinda way) yet suprisingly boring all the same. Still some merit to it though. Now Santa Clarita Diet was so bad I could barely finish the first episode. Completely stealthed its way past my funny bone. Dirk Gently faired a lot better. Proper weird show that certainly piqued my interest. Elijah Wood is great in this.

I very much enjoyed Dirk Gently. I know it's not like the books, but that doesn't make it bad and I think it stands on it's own legs rather well. :)

Black Sails (season 2). Ah... a good pirates' series, at last.

Fulfilling my expectations so far (3rd episode), upon what season 1 meant to me. It's more of the same, and I like that.

Once I'm finished, maybe I'll watch The Expanse (season 2) or 24 season 2, since I recently rewatched the first season for the millionth time.
Goddamn, Nina! I still can't believe it!!

Still with Black Sails season 2.

Wow, I didn't see that coming. I mean, all the things that happened in London just before Flint went to Nassau. Well, in the first season you don't have a clue about it, but in this one I started seeing weird things regarding Thomas, and I started suspecting.

Binge-watched the first season of The Expanse yesterday. That was some really cool hard sci-fi the likes of which I haven't seen since New Battlestar Galactica. Also minus that show's ever present God nonsense to fill in the holes in the plot ... so far at least.

About 5 or 6 episodes into Luke Cage - good Lord, it's bloody slow-moving. Very reminiscent of Jessica Jones where a plotline is stretched out to breaking point just to eke it out into 13 episodes when fewer than 10 would be really be required.

I also watched The OA with my wife and found it initially quite intriguing before it rapidly and inadvertently became hysterically funny in later episodes! Still, not too bad.

I've only managed to watch a handful of episodes of The Expanse so far but it is surprisingly true to the books of which I've read all but the most recent volume. Pretty well done as well, considering the budget isn't likely to be too big.

I quite enjoyed all of Dirk Gently in the end, odd though it was and completely off the wall in comparison to the books (or so I'm told).

Black Sails, season 2, chapter 9.

Fuck! :-O
Has any of you watched this series? What are your opinions on season 3?

I watched 3 seasons so far, and I think it's brilliant, a must watch. When I watched the first season, I wasn't immediately convinced - 'oh, one of those again' - but from there on out it just kept getting better and better, which is a rare thing in a series. Really great stuff, and highly recommended. It's maybe most comparable to Deadwood of Pirates, in that it has a (pretty solid btw) base in reality and very strong characters. But with far more spectacle and density than Deadwood (that is not necessarily a better thing, just different).

Season 3 which I watched last month, is the best season by some distance.

I also liked Dirk Gently, and tried the OA but after a few episodes I got a bad feeling about where it was going and dropped it.

While having the flu last week, I watched the Good Wife by the way, and though personally I think there are a few weaknesses in the cast (including the lead role), there are also some great actors in there to make up for that, and overall the show is pretty enjoyable.

I also watched season 4/5? of Homeland, the one playing in Berlin, and thought it was actually pretty good, though it also made me feel like it would be a good final episode and left me without wanting to see another season. It's a lot like a good Tom Clancy novel.

Last edited:
Anyone watching Legion? Really interesting take on X-Men universe, very different abstract style and I'm enjoying it more than the usual formulaic Marvel or X-men movies. The time setting, somewhat rooted in reality and the jumping around between present, skewed reality present and muddled past of the main character is done well imo.

Another show I'm enjoying a lot is Taboo, though I think I could watch anything with Tom Hardy. He's a fantastic actor imo. One of my favorites with him is actually Locke.

I think FX has to be my favorite channel at the moment.

I liked the OA. I didn't know what to expect and I wasn't disappointed. I loved Phyllis in it, kept me interested when I started to sort of fade out from the story. (Phyllis from the Office, she great!)

In the end, I really enjoyed it...although I'm still not quite sure what it was. LOL (Don't worry, it has a solid ending and not one of those that just leaves you hanging and wondering what will happen)

Haven't seen Legion, but OA sort of left me like that...but also with an odd sense of closure that I'm STILL trying to understand! LOL

American Gods starts on april 30. Can't wait, really loved the book. And also, Good Omens TV show is supposed to be on too! Gotta love this new golden age of television :D

Just watched the first episode of The OA. I liked it so much!

By the way, I also consider a spoiler saying
that the ending is confusing. I don't want to know in advance that at the end of the series everything will be clear or not. That kind of ruins the experience, to me, but thanks anyway for the comments. :)

As noted before, I found The OA absolutely hilarious towards the end. I think the hilarity was probably unintentional.

Very Lindelof-esque nonsense, I thought, though quite well done. My wife and her best friend wanted to know what it all meant. I pointed out that it didn't really have to mean anything - it is very easy to throw various sorts of quasi-mystical nonsense into a show and not have any sort of a explanation. It's how many of the SF ones work these days, in fact.

I think they are supposedly producing a second series of it? Don't know if I'll bother with it or not.

American Gods sounds interesting as the book is very good indeed.

Back