The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

So how is there little to no talk about The Grand Tour series in here?
Maybe we're just happy they are back being idiots again, though the format is not perfect. For instance, that American redneck racing driver schtick can go.

Just to expand: it seems the cream of the crop of the crew and producers from the BBC show ended up at W. Chump and Sons so the photography, editing, direction, sound and mixing is all top-notch. It is just so pretty and well-done, and when you have the chemistry of the guys, well, for a fan like me it is fantastic.

I also am interested in the new segment (if it is one or it if it was just a one-off) where one of them goes off and does something they don't want to do. Next: Jeremy road tests a superbike! ... with a chainsaw

I thought the whole special forces stuff was a bit daft
too scripted
Maybe it was intentionally daft because it was social commentary re: Westworld and gaming etc.

But they have done stuff akin to that in Top Gear too (landrover vs a tank, lotus exige vs an attack helicopter, a Ford hatchback as a troop landing vehicle)

I thought the whole special forces stuff was a bit daft
too scripted

Too scripted? Seriously?

Top Gear has been pretty much completely (badly) scripted for years. Can't believe Clarkson & Co have so many fans when they've produced nothing but badly-written rubbish for years.

(Note: I've not watched the new show, unsurprisingly)

Seems
Too scripted? Seriously?

Top Gear has been pretty much completely (badly) scripted for years. Can't believe Clarkson & Co have so many fans when they've produced nothing but badly-written rubbish for years.

(Note: I've not watched the new show, unsurprisingly)
Seems like all the fans disagree with you on the "badly-written rubbish" part. For myself, I enjoy the interplay between the guys and their characters. I enjoy the style of the show, the filming, music, editing etc. It's pure entertainment for me.

I have somewhat mixed feelings about the Grand Tour...

It looks like the trio is feeling the huge pressure of having to deliver a show that has the viewership of Top Gear, yet it is different (partially for legal reasons). I also get the impression that they really have no control over them, not even from their long time producer, so there's noone to call out any bad moves.

So, some of the elements are just not working, not funny, or even downright lame; like the "kill the celebrity guests" part, the "fight with the audience", or the new track and racing driver.
Other elements may have a good starting idea, but then they push it too far and the jokes eventually cease to work, like that anti-terrorist segment. I had some big laughs but in the end I just wanted it to end...
I also don't like the overdone make-up in the studio parts, and the jokes about the local issues in Johannesburg were way too cynical and tasteless for me.

But whenever it's just the three stooges together, talking or driving around, the spirit is still there and the show is as good as Top Gear was. The photography is amazing, even though I'm not watching it in 4K - apparently it looks wonderful, but even the 1080p version is very nice.

I realize that it's a bit too early to judge, but as I don't really see how they could change the problematic elements in the middle of the season, with most of the material already shot or at least written, I fear that many of the issues will continue throughout the entire first season. However, the good parts easily overtake the others, so I will continue watching; and I hope they'll be able to do some mild course corrections for the second season. They certainly have the talent and the means, and as the ratings seem to be quite good so far, it looks like Amazon will continue with the show.

DC on the CW 4 night crossover starts tonight in a few minutes with Supergirl! :D

Tommy McClain

The actual "cross-over" event was slim to none in the SuperGirl episode. That's not necessarily a bad thing either. Hopefully it'll kick in more tomorrow on The Flash. I don't watch Arrow, but have it set to record on Wednesday to pick up that piece of the cross-over story.

OH!!!! "People of Earth" with Wyatt Cynac!! :D

I noticed last week that a show had Cynac in it, and it was a comedy about alien abductees? I HAD to do check it out.

Binged all 5 episodes that night staying up late, well not too late since the episodes are only 20 minutes but it suckered me in great!

Newest episode just came out, can't wait to watch it. I won't talk about it because spoilers would spoil it, just give it a try please!

The actual "cross-over" event was slim to none in the SuperGirl episode. That's not necessarily a bad thing either. Hopefully it'll kick in more tomorrow on The Flash. I don't watch Arrow, but have it set to record on Wednesday to pick up that piece of the cross-over story.

Yeah, I expected the lack of crossover in tonight's episode. We'll see the aliens in tomorrow's Flash episode. Definitely agree about Arrow, never really liked it enough to watch it outside the Flash crossover episodes, but do like Supergirl & Legends.

Tommy McClain

Btw I found a guy on YouTube that I like watching. He post videos regarding upcoming movies & TV shows based on DC, Marvel, Star Wars, Westworld, Game of Thrones & Walking Dead. His channel is

http://www.youtube.com/emergencyawesome

I basically only watch his DC & Star Wars videos, but sometimes his Marvel stuff.

"Let's high five & I'll see you guys tonight." :)

Tommy McClain

Westworld, before the season finale

The biggest issue that I had with this show was that after a promising start, it seemed to have abandoned it's most interesting subject - the emergence of intelligence and self-awareness in AI created by humans. The last two episodes have finally returned to the topic with two memorable conversations. I wasn't entirely satisfied with the first exchange in episode 8, as I thought that it was way too explicit - basically having two characters going through it without any subtlety. Episode 9 did the same, but somehow it was more powerful and more interesting.

Westworld is also clearly a product of the post-Lost generation of TV shows, where online interactions of the viewers is meant to be a major element of the experience. The writers give out plenty of hints for fan theories and discussion - and then they go out of their way to make people feel clever for guessing right. Much of what has happened so far seem to have been found out by the online community, although I can't decide if this is a good or bad thing.

However, there is an element in the story which was presented in a way that I believe no-one can guess the eventual outcome.
It is, of course, about Dolores and the apparently multiple timelines of her adventures; at least we've been unable to put the pieces of the puzzle together. The only thing that seems certain is that there are indeed a lot of flashbacks, because of the reveal that she's been talking with Arnold instead of Bernard in the first few episodes.

Because of this, Westwolrd seems to become one of the first real examples or television beyond Lost; one that may be able to become an online phenomenon and still be able to actually surprise its viewers. So, obviously, the finale has a lot to live up to. There is this final piece of a great puzzle that seems to have been hidden so well that all bets are off, so everyone is at the edge of their seats - both the people who's been passive viewers and all the people theorizing about the show online. It's gonna be really exciting to see if HBO can pull this off; but even if they fail to whatever extent, the show itself is still good enough to stand on its own, because of the writing, the actors, the cinematography and all.

So, I'm really excited about next week's episode :D

Yeah, I expected the lack of crossover in tonight's episode. We'll see the aliens in tomorrow's Flash episode. Definitely agree about Arrow, never really liked it enough to watch it outside the Flash crossover episodes, but do like Supergirl & Legends.

Tonight is the second episode in the crossover event series and I must say it's the best Flash, Arrow, or Legends show I have ever seen even if technically it's an episode of The Flash. I hope tomorrow night's episode of Arrow isn't a let-down and hope the excitement and fun carries through to Legend's episode.

Btw I found a guy on YouTube that I like watching. He post videos regarding upcoming movies & TV shows based on DC, Marvel, Star Wars, Westworld, Game of Thrones & Walking Dead. His channel is

http://www.youtube.com/emergencyawesome

I basically only watch his DC & Star Wars videos, but sometimes his Marvel stuff.

"Let's high five & I'll see you guys tonight." :)

Tommy McClain
my only problem with him is he mixes up his guesses, assumptions with the facts.
it's hard to know which is which sometimes, because he doesn't actually say.

We started watching Westworld and are liking it so far. If you do get a chance though, the original Swedish version of Real Humans is worth watching too. It's good and at the same time often subtly funny, and socially awkward, in a way that I guess is closest to Orphan Black.

my only problem with him is he mixes up his guesses, assumptions with the facts.
it's hard to know which is which sometimes, because he doesn't actually say.

I can understand that, but I just treat it as pure entertainment & don't get hung up on the facts or lack thereof. It's fun watch for about 5-10 minutes.

Missed Flash last night due to prior commitment. Hopefully I can catch up tonight.

Tommy McClain

Westworld season one finale

For some reason, I've sort of forgotten about my previous post's contents and so it was a nice surprise to see that I was actually right. The show is indeed what I've expected it to be - although I still have to digest the last episode for a while before I can tell how well it succeeded. But its ambitions were certainly to go beyond what Lost has done :)

So, yeah, all the fan theories based on the hints were just one side of the story, and thus the writers have still managed to come up with unexpected things (mehh, I'm sure there's someone on reddit who has managed to guess it all - but noone noticed :) ) which were deeply satisfying, and have also given a new meaning to a LOT of the stuff we've seen so far. They had their cake and ate it too :) so Westworld may really be the next step in television after Lost; at least in the mainstream, hugely popular segment. I'm not such a huge TV show junkie, so I have probably missed a lot of other series that may have managed to deliver such surprising and satisfying resolutions. My best example is how others have failed, like Sherlock's answer to its season 2 ending (although it had at least a good amount of self-irony).

It may easily take a complete re-watching of all the episodes for me to get a proper understanding of all the storylines and themes, so I'd rather not get into that now. A lot of things that first seemed to make little sense may get a deeper meaning, for example
At first, it seemed that Dolores had a lot of discussions with Bernard under that church. Then, after the last few episodes, it seemed that she was talking to Arnold instead. But now, it looks like she was alone all the time - talking to herself, but imagining that part of her mind (the bicameral mind) to be someone else. This is almost certainly intentional, and one possible answer may be that some discussions were with Arnold and some were with her own self - and there may be a point where it all changed. What this means is that we have seen the early process of Dolores becoming self-aware without knowing it, which would be some really clever writing IMHO.

However, the downside of this may be that the show was ultimately unable to tell its story in a single sitting, because it tried too hard to surprise and shock, and held back to[ much until the final episode. If this is the case, then it has only managed to take a half of a step beyond Lost in the end; it was still too focused on online interactivity, on engaging the viewers to guess and eventually misguide and shock them. As I've said, I probably have to re-watch the whole series to see if it was only focused on its sleight of hand - or if the actual story was there to see all the way and it was just us viewers who didn't get it.

Nevertheless, it was a great ride and a memorable experience. Lots of unanswered questions and interesting developments, so I can't wait for season 2, 2018 is just soo far away ;)

I've heard so much about Westworld, I really need to see it. To be honest, when someone first explained it was about 'robot cowboys' (in their words), I was a bit scpetical, but having heard a little more it sounds really intriguing.

What are everyone's thoughts on Community? At first I thought it was just a typical sitcom, but I've really been getting into it lately, although I'm a little late on it. As soon as I realised it was by Dan Harmon, I started to notice how intelligent it was, especially how it identifies common TV tropes and plays on them ironically. It goes a bit downhill around season 4, but in general it's amazing IMO.

Back