The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

I watched a trailer of The Crown, a show which I've never watched... And I saw my beloved Gillian Anderson playing the role of Margaret Thatcher. I felt embarrassed. It was the voice, it was like an SNL parody. :( And I'm so, so, so sorry, because I know that Gillian is such a great actress. I mean, great. I'm watching The X Files and yes, I know she couldn't have won a Nobel prize in acting for it (so to speak :LOL:), but she's good.

I watched a trailer of The Crown, a show which I've never watched... And I saw my beloved Gillian Anderson playing the role of Margaret Thatcher. I felt embarrassed. It was the voice, it was like an SNL parody. :( And I'm so, so, so sorry, because I know that Gillian is such a great actress. I mean, great. I'm watching The X Files and yes, I know she couldn't have won a Nobel prize in acting for it (so to speak :LOL:), but she's good.
If you'r into Gillian, I'm sure you haven't miss the excellent series "the fall" ?

So YouTubeTV has HBO and Cinemax provided for free over the US Holiday weekend.

I started watching Lovecraft Country. Wow. What a first episode.

I think Raised by Wolves is also available so it'll be next or mixed between LC.

I also have Avenue 5 on the watch if time permits list, but that may have to wait until later.

I'm already watching His Dark Materials through the BBC means.

I didn't find any new to me series on Cinemax that I wasn't already watching via other means, such as Warrior.

So YouTubeTV has HBO and Cinemax provided for free over the US Holiday weekend.

I started watching Lovecraft Country. Wow. What a first episode.

I think Raised by Wolves is also available so it'll be next or mixed between LC.

I also have Avenue 5 on the watch if time permits list, but that may have to wait until later.

I'm already watching His Dark Materials through the BBC means.

I didn't find any new to me series on Cinemax that I wasn't already watching via other means, such as Warrior.
The Undoing on HBO
really thrilling

Lovecraft Country starts really well and has some other intriguing episodes but some of them were, well, irritating, frankly. The overarching story was all over the place. The overall focus on racial prejudice was interesting at times but tedious at others. A couple of good ideas stretched out and mixed in with lots of rubbish ones.

Ultimately, a disappointment which I finished watching but it had long lost my interest.

Very accurate assessment, @Mariner . I didn't want that to be the situation.

The production and story telling reminds me a bit of their Watchmen series, which was a total shit show.

Lovecraft Country isn't as bad, but like episode 5 could be entirely removed and nothing would be missed. A couple other episodes could have been combined and scaled back. Some different ideas presented in the story telling but nothing of significance ever comes from it. They squandered their screen time. Its the sort of directorial masturbation that doesn't pay off for the audience, only to fulfill the directors fancy. Portions of the episodes were good while other portions dragged on forever.

A good editor would have cut half the material, made each episode 40-45 minutes instead of 59 to 62 minutes, and been done with what they covered in only 6 instead of 10. Or they could have told a solid story with more content in 8 episodes of 45 minutes.

I'm typing this while halfway through episode 8. Its no longer commanding my attention.

Avenue 5 - mostly mediocre and not funny, maybe something to put on in the background.

Raised by Wolves - first 3 episodes were solid and didn't seem to have any filler or entirely meaningless context. Unfortunately the rest are locked behind HboMax app which the free 5 days of HBO did not include.

I have Perry Mason queued up to play next. I am curious how they approach it.

The Undoing I may queue up tomorrow, but it doesn't seem like they will have the entire season up before my preview expires so I may save this for next time.

brit last episode of undoing should air tonight i think? its just 6 episodes miniseries afaik

Latest episode of WARRIOR was awesome! I skipped all the drama and jumped directly to the fight scenes. The Bruce Lee solo fight looks clunky / choreographed / staged tho.

I liked Avenue 5 - a bit chaotic but I'm a fan of Armando Ianucci's very dark satire. The Thick of It was brilliant and skewered British politics absolutely perfectly. Veep was fun as well, of course.

Watched the swedish drama "Amningsrummet" (the breast feeding room?). Super interesting and funny, but you probably have to be a parent to understand it.

Avenue 5 had no trace of Veep's profane yet witty writing. Poop orbiting the ship sums up the intellectual level of the script.

ST Discovery. I'm trying to force myself watch it every now and then. What an ordeal, at S2E7 after about 18 months. Just spent 15 minutes with it until the idiocy seeping from it again forced me to pause and write this rant.

Back