The Official G84/G86 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Or maybe they don't have one? Why does everything have to be some conspiracy. If you read the conclusion they said that if you have an X1950 pro or 7900 GS then the GTS would not be a wise purchase. They're not trying to hide anything. I have to agree though - it's a bit appalling that it doesn't beat Nvidia's last $200 card even when overclocked.

Or maybe they don't have one? Why does everything have to be some conspiracy. If you read the conclusion they said that if you have an X1950 pro or 7900 GS then the GTS would not be a wise purchase. They're not trying to hide anything.

This can't be a reason for a hardware site.
Most of the users not read the conclusion, just watching the numbers and that say something other than the conclusion.

Looking at the results I am very glad I decided to go with with the X1950 Pro several months ago. It appears the 8600 GTS is a bit faster, certainly not enough for those who have been waiting several months for it.

Must say I'm confused as to what point you're trying to make :oops: I'm assuming Archmark's bilinear multi-texturing test is similiar to 3dmark's multi-texturing test and they both convey the same info - that G80 has 32 TMU's at 575Mhz.

The trilinear test betrayed the double filtering power but I don't think that's what we're discussing here re-G84. I'm taking the 3dmark numbers as evidence of the number of texture addressing units in the part.

The 8600 GTS reached around 1.4 GTex/s in Archmarks 4-layer-trilinear-test. That number would've told right from the start, that there are 16 TFUs at work. Sorry about that i had to speak in riddles.

Looks like the new nv magic driver (158.14) are not so magic (except in 3dmark).

It actually benefitted a fair number of the applications in our testing suite performance-wise compared to the initial ForceWare 100 era driver we received, not just 3DMark. Of course, that isn't to say that there aren't still some big performance hurdles to be overcome...

The 8600 GTS reached around 1.4 GTex/s in Archmarks 4-layer-trilinear-test. That number would've told right from the start, that there are 16 TFUs at work. Sorry about that i had to speak in riddles.

Gotcha, thanks. I still don't know why 3dmark didn't report ~ 5400 MT/s in that case. It reports the bilinear rate for G80, why is it reporting > bilinear rate for G84?

Guys, I'd like to not lock this thread if we can avoid it. . . however, this is NOT the place for discussion of reviews. Those discussions should be in the 3D Hardware forum now that these cards are released.

So please take it over here: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=40589
Also read our review by clicking here.

And if you don't, then we may lock this thread for a few days and reopen later.

Just heard that AMD will be lowering prices of the X1950XT and X1950Pro so they will go head to head with the GF8600GTS and GF8600GT. So it's "fast & DX9" vs "slower and DX10". Will the DX10 checkbox-feature really win the consumers money?

The BestBuy crowd maybe. But if this is the real performance of the 8600 series then it won't be popular with enthusiasts on a budget.

Just heard that AMD will be lowering prices of the X1950XT and X1950Pro so they will go head to head with the GF8600GTS and GF8600GT. So it's "fast & DX9" vs "slower and DX10". Will the DX10 checkbox-feature really win the consumers money?

But at least X1950 Pro was already cheaper than GTS, if not cheaper than GT :???:

But at least X1950 Pro was already cheaper than GTS, if not cheaper than GT :???:

I had a look at komplett.se and the the GT and X1950 Pro are priced about the same. The GT is somewhat cheaper depending on the model.

Might be that the upcoming "DX10" games will make the 8600 look better though.

It doesn't seem to me that X1950 Pro will pose much of a threat to the 8600 GT/GTS. Performance is sometimes lower, often similar, and sometimes higher, but featureset is lacking in comparison. The X1950 XT is significantly faster, but selling it for under $200 street price (where the 8600 cards will likely hit) seems unlikely, since margins would be a disaster.

This would only make sense if RV6xx line is still quite a bit away.

Or if they're clearing out inventory for the impending next-gen replacements, no?

Or if they're clearing out inventory for the impending next-gen replacements, no?

If the RV6xx are here soon though, by the time price cuts filter through they might make their own cards look less attractive VS previous generation as well.

Back