The Official G84/G86 Rumours & Speculation Thread

WOW, the Anti-Nvidia FUD machine that is Charlie marches on. Let me ask everyone a question: What are 2D clock settings for G80? Anyone? Anyone?
Well, let me just say that I don't see how anybody would even notice a lack of 2D clockspeed in a desktop mainstream part. It would be a killer for a laptop part, but somehow I doubt that nVidia would even try to sell a chip as a laptop part that had a major bug like that in its power savings circuitry.

Reactions: Geo
Well, let me just say that I don't see how anybody would even notice a lack of 2D clockspeed in a desktop mainstream part.
We're talking about an excess of 2D clockspeed. And you'd notice because the cooling fan on your graphics card would be spinning at full throttle even when you were just browsing the web. You'd probably also notice when you got your electricity bill. :)

We're talking about an excess of 2D clockspeed. And you'd notice because the cooling fan on your graphics card would be spinning at full throttle even when you were just browsing the web. You'd probably also notice when you got your electricity bill. :)

Unless the fan is so quiet it doesn't really need to throttle down that much.

WOW, the Anti-Nvidia FUD machine that is Charlie marches on. Let me ask everyone a question: What are 2D clock settings for G80? Anyone? Anyone?

513 is what mine says. Of course, that is what nTune claims, so... It's a Geforce 8800GTS.

Well, let me just say that I don't see how anybody would even notice a lack of 2D clockspeed in a desktop mainstream part. It would be a killer for a laptop part, but somehow I doubt that nVidia would even try to sell a chip as a laptop part that had a major bug like that in its power savings circuitry.

Well, for channel I'd agree. OEMs might not be thrilled.

513 is what mine says. Of course, that is what nTune claims, so... It's a Geforce 8800GTS.

The 8800 GTS is clocked at 500MHz by default, no? The point is, there is no "2D clock" in G80, at least one that I have ever observed. So what the hell is Charlie talking about? Seems like he is covering his ass regarding his report of a "delay" with "no delay, but don't buy them, the are defective!".

The 8800 GTS is clocked at 500MHz by default, no? The point is, there is no "2D clock" in G80, at least one that I have ever observed. So what the hell is Charlie talking about? Seems like he is covering his ass regarding his report of a "delay" with "no delay, but don't buy them, the are defective!".

G80 has that effectively managed by its clock domains combined with "wide/slow ROPs". Do we know that's the case with the midrange parts?

I think something being overlooked is that G80 does support different performance profiles in the BIOS, whether shipping BIOS revisions have them present or not. Maybe current mobile G8x parts are having BIOS revisions sent out with one profile.

As long as the hardware's not broken in that regard (be it a power issue or something else), I can't see why mobile G8x products can't support it if needed.

1. 2D uses less power anyway, even without throttling the clock. I don't see why the fan shouldn't spin down.
2. Your normal power bill will probably fluctuate more than the added cost of running at a higher clock in 2D. That's not to say you won't pay more, but the cost won't be obvious.

But, in any case, I see no reason whatsoever to expect that this is actually going to occur. Even if it is a real report, it could easily be fixed before launch (it might be something as simple as a driver issue, after all).

Well for what it's worth, I also heard from a reliable source that the midrange cards were having some problems. Many stores already have the cards and are waiting for launch, but nVidia had to rework the cards at last minute because they were getting too hot, which seems to imply that the Inq was right this time.

Fudzilla's take on the situation:

Nvidia had an electrical problem with the early batch of 8600 GTS. This is now history and Nvidia replaced the damaged part on all of the boards.

This won't affect the launch at all. The issue was a nasty one. It would shut down your PC after benchmarking for a while. The component is changed and Nvidia partners are getting new cards with the replaced part.

This is nothing that should concern the end users as the cards you buy after 17th will be completely trouble free at least when it comes to this issue.

Link: http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=385&Itemid=1

Last minute changes on new parts like this aren't that uncommon. There was an article some time ago over at Tom's where they recommended not ever buying brand-new hardware because of it (whether it's CPU's, motherboards, GPU's, whatever).

I run the fan on my GTS at a constant 100%. It gets a bit too hot if I don't, since it won't by default spin up more than 59%, even if the temperatures get into the 70's and 80's. I'm not comfortable with that amount of heat.

First things first, looks like I own Charlie an apology.

Same thing happend in the 8800gts/gtx launch, many of this "refurbished" cards dead because the distributors service changed the affected part, and not NV.

Huh? As I recall, this was only an issue for people who got their cards prior to official release.

First things first, looks like I own Charlie an apology.

Huh? As I recall, this was only an issue for people who got their cards prior to official release.

A few people received cards without the change resistor, transistor, whatever the part was that needed the change. I saw posts with pictures. Whether they got them prior to release or not, I can't answer that question, but some people did get them.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that it was only the GTX model that had the issue.

Back