The Nature of Reviews (ME, GTA4, TH etc)

Yeah reviews ARE all over the place! I am very interested in NPDs.
It's interesting, and I wouldn't expect stellar sales. The wind has certainly been taken out of my interest in the game. I think the Gamespot summary is most appropriate: A perfect example of awesome but unrealized potential.

I'll wait for Eurogamer's review, and Edge's shouldn't be too far away either, but I'm certainly not holding my breath.

Whoa! The reviews are so harsh! Well, there was always a chance of this happening as the game was started on a different generation of consoles, in a different time span when different sensibilities mattered. The ideas get outdated by the time they come out. These same features(or monotony) which is drawing the ire of reviewers might have been the funspot of the game had it been on a ps2 or Xbox.

http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1551/Too-Human/p1/

Usually when I play a game I don’t like, I can point to one or two things and say, “if only they would have gotten this right”. But there are too many things like that in Too Human. I’ve barely scratched the surface on all the things that bug me about this game (zombies? Really?) but I hope I made it clear how much I disliked it. I hope I also made it clear that you may like it. In fact, it’s a guarantee that someone will. Just not me. I don’t need games that make me this mad for so little payoff.

6.5/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=217371

I really wish there were more positive things I could say to outweigh the avalanche of grump. It's not that bad, but then "not that bad" is the highest praise it deserves. A more cohesive game, with an engaging story, might be able to overcome some of its many flaws. But this game, with this story, and this many problems, is always going to be on shaky ground. It's rather fitting that this is still being touted as the first part of a trilogy, since it definitely feels like one third of a potentially interesting game.

6/10

I just find it funny that people keep rating this a 6 yet calling it terrible...

As for the game itself, after I remembered the game's history(It was in development BEFORE DUKE NUKEM FOREVER), I wasn't surprised as to the reviews.

It is just the mindset that anything lower than 7 is bad. Even though there is a range of 1-10 most use the 7-9 range for games.

I think it has more to do with the price of entry. A game rated 6/10 might be a good $20 game, but a poor $60 game.

I'll give Haze and Too Human a go for co-op when they are budget, but not at $60.

It is just the mindset that anything lower than 7 is bad. Even though there is a range of 1-10 most use the 7-9 range for games.
Well, in school or university half of the points is a bare necessarity and not "half outstanding". Going by that scale, anything below 5 should never see a release or be talked about, and between 5-7 is just barely enough.

This is not school though. Game review tells you how good the game is, not if it's good enough to advance to the next grade. That's why game reviews should use entire 1-10 scale to indicate quality, not just 5-10.

This is not school though. Game review tells you how good the game is, not if it's good enough to advance to the next grade. That's why game reviews should use entire 1-10 scale to indicate quality, not just 5-10.

Well, yeah. A C- is a high 60s-low 70s grade. It's passing. Of course, most of us aren't interested in games that are merely 'passing'. Not at full retail price, anyway.

Problem is, most of us don't share one taste. I won't be able to enjoy console FPS even if it's scored 11/10 but I will enjoy hack&slash even if it's 4/10. Even if it's $60.

Problem is, most of us don't share one taste. I won't be able to enjoy console FPS even if it's scored 11/10 but I will enjoy hack&slash even if it's 4/10. Even if it's $60.

So for you any score is useless; read the review text and skip the rest. Using the 1-10 or 6-10 scale won't make a difference.

World isn't black & white though. There are people who play 8+ games, people like me and some in between (majority in fact). I'm sure there are people who would buy 7/10 hack & slash but wouldn't buy a 5/10 one (or it would be a rent for them). Having 5-10 fisheye view on game scores doesn't benefit anyone (including those playing 8+ games). There's no school 50%-entry-level. Publishing is an entry level, score is just the quality of the already published game. That's OT though - I'm sure there's a thread on scores on B3D somewhere.

And where is it written that it aint similar to school ratings. The mere fact that you almost never see a game below 5 should give you enough hints that it aint a uniform scale. It should be easier to improve a game from 1 rating to 2 than getting it from 9 to 10 - no?

Oh and ontopic, I was a huge fan of "Too Human" when it was first announced (around 2000)... it was supposed to be different game back then. I bought a GC for Eternal Darkness and the hope of seeing it. It a shame how things turned out finally, but well... an the upside I dont have to buy an XBox that way.

Should have stayed with Nintendo, Silicon Knights. Perhaps with their help this game would have been on the same kind of level as Eternal Darkness. Instead of the mess it ended up as...

Should have stayed with Nintendo, Silicon Knights. Perhaps with their help this game would have been on the same kind of level as Eternal Darkness. Instead of the mess it ended up as...

I didn't play ED, but from what I hear the big thing about ED was the story/writing. Which makes the stilted writing in Too Human rather surprising.

Yea my bad dude.

Right now its buy 1 get one half off , 20% on top of that and then 10$ gift card promotion.

Back