The LittleBigPlanet pre-release Saga

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I share my LBP beta, will the person I share it with be able to play immediately, or do they have to wait 24 hours? The beta last until the 11th, does that mean we can still play this saterday?
I was thinking of sharing it with a friend who has been chasing beta keys a much I have, but failed to get one. He can have it the last day, so won't have to wait the 24 hours to get it back anyway.

Is there a way to paint Sackboy without using stickers? I was trying to give my Sackboy the beautiful, but complex, skin pattern of a real cornsnake, but that won't work just using stickers.

If I share my LBP beta, will the person I share it with be able to play immediately, or do they have to wait 24 hours? The beta last until the 11th, does that mean we can still play this saterday?

I think he has to wait 24 hours. The guy I shared my beta with wasn't able to access it at first. But I am not sure.

Is there a way to paint Sackboy without using stickers? I was trying to give my Sackboy the beautiful, but complex, skin pattern of a real cornsnake, but that won't work just using stickers.

I thought you can take a photo of yourself and make it into a sticker ?

EDIT: USA Today giving out beta keys:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/10/08/usa-today-has-the-last-of-the-littlebigplanet-beta-keys/

Thanks for the link. I think there all out now, I should have gotten one by now if they weren't.

Edit: Correction, I got one.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I share my LBP beta, will the person I share it with be able to play immediately...
I downloaded and played the beta immediately on my friend's key, and he was locked out of all online titles for 24 hours, including Warhawk and WipeOut. If you share now, your friend should get to play now.

I think this game actually boosts one's IQ :)

My mind is starting to bubble with ideas...
It's been said videogames improve a person's problem solving (well that was probably true before they started making games more 'mainstream friendly'). LBG is sure to improve people's imagination.

That's a wonderful ad. I wish it has a BIG URL at the end for follow up though, or point them to youtube. ;-)

Just got the beta code yesterday, didn't have much time to play LBP yet, only the first "tutorial" level.
Can't wait to get my hands on building things!

I think this game actually boosts one's IQ :)

My mind is starting to bubble with ideas...

It's been said videogames improve a person's problem solving (well that was probably true before they started making games more 'mainstream friendly'). LBG is sure to improve people's imagination.

Bah ! The only thing LBP does is to make you imagine that you are more imaginative. :p

I downloaded and played the beta immediately on my friend's key, and he was locked out of all online titles for 24 hours, including Warhawk and WipeOut. If you share now, your friend should get to play now.

Thanks. But he has his own beta key now, which I got from Patsu's link. Actually I got 2 beta keys from there. I send an e-mail but got no response, so after half an hour I sent another. I still don't like how they handed these out. First I spent hours trying to get one without success, and now I have 3 beta keys.:rolleyes: But those will be put to good use.

Important

http://community.eu.playstation.com...ard.id=b_EN_GAMES_general_lbp&thread.id=21552

LittleBigPlanet Beta Created Levels

With the LittleBigPlanet beta coming to a close on October 12th at 23:59 GMT, we'll be getting everything ready for the launch of the game. As many of you are doubtless aware, at present we are not planning to make shared creations from the beta test available in the full version of the game, however we're aware that a lot of time and effort has been put into what you've created so far.

With this in mind we're going to give you the choice! Whether you took part in the LittleBigPlanet beta test or not your opinion counts - would you rather that created levels and items from the beta test were available when the game launches, or would you rather we removed everything and the shared side of the game started from scratch? Vote before Monday October 13th, and we'll go with whichever option receives more votes!

You can place your vote by clicking 'vote' next to the poll announcement at the top of this board.

Please bear in mind that what we're talking about here are levels that have been uploaded already, any save game data, offline creations or progress cannot be transferred into the full game.

Fellow beta testers, don't forget to vote (for yes ^_^) !

But of course. They have to preserve the hard work.

TGS going crazy now. I'll probably wake up to some strange news tomorrow. Snake and Sephiroth LBP skins were shown:
2926355322_f701230f8b.jpg

2925503017_031bc37c86.jpg

Wasn't the plan the entire time to have lots of user created content ready at launch from the beta? I can't believe they're even considering wiping them out.

Me too. Even though they mentioned that the data may be wiped before launch, I think it'd be foolish to do so.
They probably didn't expect this level of participation from the beta crowd. They also seem to have quite a bit to learn about community management, especially moderation.

Does anyone have a spare beta code for my mate? Just thought I'd ask - you never know, but I can't believe how hard these are to get still!

I've spent considerable time with it today creating a level, an attempt at a multiplayer racer in flying vehicles around a track, and it's been an interesting, fun, yet frustrating job at times. The tools are pretty awkward - very good compared to the usual, and having created a physics editor myself (3D) I understand the difficulties. But the creation of collision geometry posses problems, it appears. You can't edit a mesh once it has been bound to others. This means any design work has to be exact before assembly, you you face a reconstruction rigmarole. Worse than that, you can delete portions of an object drawing with the Triangle button, and yet leave the collision geometry behind. I had a large glass cylinder attached to a background pillar, and chopping off the bottom of it worked in appearance but didn't remove the collision border, and that scuppered placement of objects. I had to delete the whole cylinder and reconstruct. Building nice looking models that aren't a messy hodgepodge of sticking out pieces also requires good forethought. There's a lot of 'best practice' needed to avoid holes, divots, unsightly corners etc. Multiplayer creation could prove very tricky. You'd want everyone to be up to the same standard. A top-tier creator seeing a 'noob' slapping together bits of different width leaving holes in his work might be very annoying!

There's a cap on object complexity that has bit me in the butt. My racecourse is a simple figure-of-8. The curves have to be smoothed out or the vehicles bounce all over the shop. I had a huge glass block and chopped out two cylinders. I then manually tripled the vectex count inside the curves to smooth them out, to something still a bit bumpy but acceptible(ish). In doing this I hit the object complexity limit. This then added an annoying message any time I created an object as the default starting place of placement was on my complex object. And it also means I can't adapt my map to add some starting gates, as I've evolved the design of the game. If the was a tool to slice the object in half, creating two simpler objects, that'd be a problem solved, and maybe one will feature in the final game, but you can't take a little cube and chop out a path to separate two sides, which means that limit is pretty rough. What I should have done assembled a route out of pieces...

There's also a lot of idiosyncracies to learn and work around. I rebuilt my vehicle a couple of times, eventually spending maybe an hour experimenting with materials and weights to see what is needed to attain balance - the size of a Rocket affects it's weight and thrust it seems, but full thrust is substantial even on tiny rockets. Some things proved unattainable - a rocket pack needs a minimum propulsion to overcome gravity, but you can't cap the speed and that same minimum produces crazy speeds on the downhills. In theory, if I could, I could have Sensors affecting maximum thrust depending on where the vehcile is, but you can't add multiple control systems to a device. Where at the moment the engine is always on when a Sackboy is in the driving seat, the whole thing would need a redesign.

It was certainly a fun and engaging experience, and I hope a number of issues have been addressed in the final build, with more advanced tools like Knife and Smoothing and stuff. I'll maybe have another go tomorrow.

They should add a way to reset the state of your level after you die. Now your sometimes unable to finish a level because the changes that happened before you died are still in place, creating a dead end.

They should add a way to reset the state of your level after you die. Now your sometimes unable to finish a level because the changes that happened before you died are still in place, creating a dead end.

Hmm... Couldn't you restart a level ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back