The LittleBigPlanet pre-release Saga

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Voice chat's in? How good is the lip-sync? I haven't seen any vids of that at all.
Edit : Duh, you said it's not on!

Voice chat's in? How good is the lip-sync? I haven't seen any vids of that at all.
Edit : Duh, you said it's not on!

I didn't think it worked, but just now with deepbrown I've confirmed it does in fact work! The mike is open all the time, just the red light doesn't turn on, and that's what confused me. And the lipsynching is decent enough ... !

Deepbrown's ice/snow themed level is pretty impressive by the way! I'm still doing basic experiments, but his level is like retail quality, one of the best I've seen out there! There are some cool ideas in some of the levels already.

I have not been able to pry myself away from this game for three days. I'm getting exhausted because I can't turn my brain off! I published my first level "Starstruck!" and now I'm working on number 2 "Icebound!". I must say that I have not felt so enamored by a game since the days of Mario64, I feel like a kid again! I think there's a person or two in this thread not on my friends list, so if you want to add me on PSN.

Deepbrown's ice/snow themed level is pretty impressive by the way! I'm still doing basic experiments, but his level is like retail quality, one of the best I've seen out there! There are some cool ideas in some of the levels already.

This.

The sledge race is cool. Took me a while to realize what I needed to do :) and he already rocketed away.
The zip line is nice too.

And it's only half completed ! ^_^

Right now I'm working on an A-Z themed level, with a new idea for each letter. I'm still working through creating the letters and original ideas for each of them, not necessarily in the way that I will match them eventually, but I'm keeping the level playable and publish each time I've finished a new section. This game is just incredible fun and the user interface is amazing. It's so easy to work with! This is the game of the decade for me.

I'll try your level when I get home tonight Arwin. Thanks for accepting the friends request Patsu..have you published one yet, haven't had a chance to check. But if so I'll hop on it tonight too!

It's not a coherent level yet, mind, just a series of 'puzzles' in a row. ;) But it has save points, and it's easily finishable, also in multiplayer. Ironically, the first one is the hardest.

There are ongoing announcements about friends playing the game?! So get a friends list of 100 peeps, and a load of them playing LBP, and the notes will never end!

I quite like it!

And thanks Slider! :(

I've put up the almost final build of my level...it now has the epic downhill tabogan run at the end. There's also hidden areas which need skill and thought to get too...if you get them all you can earn well over 60,000 points! I wish I could take a video of it, maybe someone can for me. It has zip lines, multiple routes, a snowman lol etc etc. Plus i've messed around with different switches, sound effects, and the camera.

However, after creating for so damn long I have found one fatal flaw. A flaw that I think shouldn't be in the final game:

To make sure some things don't move around, you can stick them by holding down X. If you have found you've misplaced that object, you can unstick it. This is all fine, usually. However, when you're making a massive level, which is a structure made up of scaffolding, supports and different sections and all stuck together - when you attach something to it (like a snow man for example), and then unattach it, you also unattach every piece of the structure from every other piece. This means that your level falls apart...and sometimes you don't notice whole sections have fallen off...and you save it after they've fallen off >_< In addition, when pieces get under too much stress (ie. you squash them into a space they are bigger than) they disappear into a puff of smoke - meaning large sections of your level disappear.

I spent 2 hours putting my level back together. Instead when you unattach something, that should be the ONLY thing that's unattached.

Otherwsie, Create in LBP is the best thing to come to console gaming since...well, 3D.

Last edited by a moderator:
The online party system also allows new players to join an on-going session. The existing player gets an alert that someone is joining. He can get them in right away if he moves to a spawn point. Otherwise, the new players will show up whenever the existing player die and respawn.

And you can stop players entering into your level after a certain point...I've put this just before the first sledge run.

BTW...go play it, it's not finished, but it now has its proper ending! (It's not finished because it's now 3am. lol)

I spent 2 hours putting my level back together. Instead when you unattach something, that should be the ONLY thing that's unattached.

Doesn't it depend on which object you choose when you do unattach? But yeah, a check for when multiple objects are attached and an option to detach just the one object or all of them would be a good addition regardless, when it comes up. Some for deleting an object - may be my own problem, but when I have to delete an object that consists of several objects, it seems as if I have to delete every individual part. Other than that though, it's awesome, and the pauze and undo features in particular are essential.

Cool to have been a part of this beta already, even just for being able to see what has changed for the final release (which seems to be more than you'd expect, looking at some of the recent screenshots).

Amazingly few bugs also. I think I did manage to crash the game once but that's it.

If I dare boot this game up again tonight (especially create just eats up your time like nothing else), then I'll try to make a little video of your level.

Could you create your superstructures piecemeal and save those pieces out as objects? That might be a workable undo feature to restructure a whole level.

Videos would be very, very good! Trying to design a level on paper is hard when you don't know the ins and outs of the 3D structure. The level is split into 7 alternative lanes (z planes) of thin/thick. Is it possible to have built objects thinner than the thickness of the thick lanes in the thick planes? Can you add a block of that size and then shrink it? And then can Sackboy pick it up? Is it possible to build a street lamp that's a thin column in the thin lane, and has an overhanging arm one thick-lane in depth consisting of both a short length and a light? I wouldn't have thought so, but if you can build the arm in two pieces large and shrink it before attaching, perhaps you can? How are zip-lines added?

Too many questions!

Could you create your superstructures piecemeal and save those pieces out as objects? That might be a workable undo feature to restructure a whole level.

I think that should definitely be possible.

Videos would be very, very good! Trying to design a level on paper is hard when you don't know the ins and outs of the 3D structure.

Some things definitely require a bit of experimentation. So ...

The level is split into 7 alternative lanes (z planes) of thin/thick. Is it possible to have built objects thinner than the thickness of the thick lanes in the thick planes? Can you add a block of that size and then shrink it?

Shrinking never affects the depth of an object.

And then can Sackboy pick it up?

Sackboy can't really pick anything up. Just drag/push things, and pick up objects (objects, stickers) from object prize bubbles. At least, that's how it is now. It will be interesting to try some things with having to find a prize object, that you then need to use to unlock something or get up to something.

Is it possible to build a street lamp that's a thin column in the thin lane, and has an overhanging arm one thick-lane in depth consisting of both a short length and a light? I wouldn't have thought so, but if you can build the arm in two pieces large and shrink it before attaching, perhaps you can?

I've tested this. You can create a thin column, and attach an overhanging arm one thick line in depth. You can attach a light to this, but the light will be one-thick length currently.

How are zip-lines added?

Ask deep. ;) But I think it's basically creating something that overarchs the center lange that contains the wire, fairly simple.

Too many questions!

Not really. Keep them coming. ;) Key for you here is not being able to scale anything in z, only x/y.

Many thanks for the constant feedback!

Okay, that's useful info. There are vids of shrunk objects but these are in-game meshes, like the skateboard or balls. These appear to be shrinkable smaller than the depth of the current z-plane. It sounds like building blocks are fixed width between planes, which is a shame. You can't build something like a giant match with a flaming end that the Sackboy has to drag around the level. This means every magnetic key type control is going be a thick block in depth, or an in-game object. Hopefully there's enough of these to sit most situation, but it makes designing a level pretty hard when you don't know what objects the final game comes with!

At least it's making sense now, how the stuff fits together. I can do my buildings which should look cool. :)

Ooo, here's an important question. Can blocks be moved into different planes? I don't think so as all forces are in the x/y axis. The only way to 'move' and object forward or back in the z direction is probably to destroy the original and create a replacement in the new plane.

You could certainly have Sackboy drag a burning match around. Nice idea, by the way. But yes, you'd have to stay in the single plane, or indeed think of something clever to make the one object disappear in favor of the other. No moving objects into different planes as far as I know.

EDIT: wait, you can shrink some objects into one or more planes, that's true. But some objects will always be limited to at least one full breadth, ot one of the seven planes, and it will depend on the object parts if they can scale to a certain plane. I'll see if I can find the exact limits on that.

Right now I'm working on an A-Z themed level, with a new idea for each letter. I'm still working through creating the letters and original ideas for each of them, not necessarily in the way that I will match them eventually, but I'm keeping the level playable and publish each time I've finished a new section. This game is just incredible fun and the user interface is amazing. It's so easy to work with! This is the game of the decade for me.

:LOL: Yes, thank you. Everyone who fathers a 2-3 year old needs something like this (many Alphabet games !).

I'll try your level when I get home tonight Arwin. Thanks for accepting the friends request Patsu..have you published one yet, haven't had a chance to check. But if so I'll hop on it tonight too!

I have not touched user creation yet. No time ! I have 2 parallel (work) projects and just got invited to a third one :(
Also I shared my beta with another fellow player because of all the begging and pleading that was going on. Sometimes, like most of yesterday, I couldn't get into the game (probably because he was playing).

I finally got into LBP in the evening. Played for 2-3 hours with 2 12 year olds (Judging from their voices, or may be a girl ?). My 3 year old was watching and said "I want to play". We had lots of fun partly because I never hear a single f* word from the kids. And they were all persistent to go through a level. Some were tough but we cleared most of them. The 12 year olds are great at platforming. ^_^

EDIT: wait, you can shrink some objects into one or more planes, that's true. But some objects will always be limited to at least one full breadth, ot one of the seven planes, and it will depend on the object parts if they can scale to a certain plane. I'll see if I can find the exact limits on that.
It would be a highly appreciated personal favour if you can try this out! Try some dead simple object, maybe a simple key shape, built out blocks at Fatto size, and shrink it down, and see if it'll land in the plane it was created in and be moveable in it. I've seen a few pics where there are blocks inside a track, and couldn't work out if the 'track' was actually extended across the two thin planes either side as well, or if the block had been shrunk in the z direction. However the fat heads of some of the NPCs seen suggests things can't be shrunk in the z direction smaller than a plane's width, otherwise wouldn't the objects look better with thinner heads? Maybe they can only be shrunk if positioned centrally, and if you shrink a block in a fat plane, it wouldn't be attachable to an object behind as it wouldn't reach?

No, that part you can put to rest. It's always within the confines of those planes. But the seven planes (three thick, four thin) do not overlap. I've just tested a level in which in the most outward thin plane a little round ball with a key is rolling down, and the player (using my jetski duck) has to beat it to a target or you can't go through a gate. That whole mechanic of the key rolling down can be in the single thin plane, which is great, leaving three fat planes for the three players and three thin ones for decoration and other stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back