The LittleBigPlanet pre-release Saga

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I woudk kill for a level with coop climbing on some giant collosus "a la SotC"... And solving puzzles on the way... Please TeamICO make your own level for LBP!!!!

:runaway:

Technically, I want to know how they've implemented the motion blur, which looks flawless in the trailers. They've also got excellent texture sampling. Looking at the lighting, there's a feel of GI there which I'd like explained too. Have they got some simple AO engine running?

Ask and ye shall receive.

http://ati.amd.com/developer/siggra...ions_for_Lighting_of_Dynamic_Scenes-print.pdf

http://ati.amd.com/developer/techreports/2006/SIGGRAPH2006/Course_26_SIGGRAPH_2006.pdf (Chapter 9)

This is from Siggraph 2006. You can even see a picture from one of their tools in the slides, with the familiar 'felt tree' from LBP, so it was right under our noses all the time ;)

Alex Evans is extremely talented (as are the artists on this!). It is a very beautiful game. The mix of photorealistic rendering and camera effects with this world built out of craft materials is really unusual. There were times looking at it when it seemed like someone was filming something that somebody had actually built in real life. When they were zipping around in their jet packs with the smoke trails I was very :oops: It was like a real little world I was watching.

I haven't had time to view any videos, but if what this gif shows is gameplay than wow:) . It really does look on par with an early 00s cg movie and could fool the untrained eye. I guess I still haven't read enough on this game but what is the point? They open-ended level creation must have some kind of goal in each level, right? In other words, we just play for the sake of playing around in the world then what do we play with/for inside the world?:???:

I gotta say I like the look of this game. the team work aspect is neat and the characters are damn cute.

I haven't had time to view any videos, but if what this gif shows is gameplay than wow:) . It really does look on par with an early 00s cg movie and could fool the untrained eye. I guess I still haven't read enough on this game but what is the point? They open-ended level creation must have some kind of goal in each level, right? In other words, we just play for the sake of playing around in the world then what do we play with/for inside the world?:???:

There's no goal as such in the creation aspect, except to see what gameplay emerges and to create something you can play through yourself and/or to publish online and share with others. So actually I suppose it's wrong to say there is no goal.. And that gameplay does actually emerge thanks to the exceptionally good looking physics system underpinning all of this. You put something in the world, and it should behave exactly as you expect. You should really watch the conference demonstration video and look at how that works. There's a great 'puzzle' moment featuring a high ledge, an orange, and a football, and they had multiple ways of approaching it thanks to the physics.

Seriously, grab the videos. It would explain everything much much better, it's kind of tough to express it in text, but the demonstration does an ample job of that.

There's no goal as such in the creation aspect, except to see what gameplay emerges and to create something you can play through yourself and/or to publish online and share with others. .....

Thanks. You articulated the idea well and I will view some videos when I get the time. My mention of goals stems from the mention that there is a level aspect of this game that precedes the content creation and open world (game will come packaged with some levels...etc). If there are levels than there must be goals. I am curious as to what those goals will be. This game sounds pretty new to me and I think I like it just like I like the below icon.

:oops:

There's no goal as such in the creation aspect, except to see what gameplay emerges and to create something you can play through yourself and/or to publish online and share with others. So actually I suppose it's wrong to say there is no goal.. And that gameplay does actually emerge thanks to the exceptionally good looking physics system underpinning all of this. You put something in the world, and it should behave exactly as you expect. You should really watch the conference demonstration video and look at how that works. There's a great 'puzzle' moment featuring a high ledge, an orange, and a football, and they had multiple ways of approaching it thanks to the physics.

Seriously, grab the videos. It would explain everything much much better, it's kind of tough to express it in text, but the demonstration does an ample job of that.

The great thing is, the builder makes the rules and sets the goals.Or just have no rules at all and release chaos :devilish: And it doesn`t have to be a jump and run.
You could do trackmania stuff or a physics pong and so on.
And I hope you can map custom sounds as well ( battles with farting cloth pillars ftw).

Thanks. You articulated the idea well and I will view some videos when I get the time. My mention of goals stems from the mention that there is a level aspect of this game that precedes the content creation and open world (game will come packaged with some levels...etc). If there are levels than there must be goals. I am curious as to what those goals will be. This game sounds pretty new to me and I think I like it just like I like the below icon.

:oops:

The level in the vid I saw was simply to work as four players co-operatively to get from start to finish. They quickly showed that you could punch eachother and grab eachother, so maybe other levels will have a simple action element.

Ok this is beginning to get a bit more clear and exciting.

At least that`s what I got out of the "sharing trailer" where they built a ramp with a car crashing into a set of cubes.
So I think user created levels can be pretty much open.

I just love this picture.

gdc2007_playstation_littlebigplanet.jpg

Given it's made by the guys who developed Rag Doll Kung-Fu what's the chances that this will use SIXAXIS as a puppet like control (i.e. they are manakins)?
They do. Have you watched the full length GDC presentation? They demo controlling the characters to act, such as playing Air Guitar, or surfing. The motion control is used by Phil at the end to make his Munchkin bow (one guesses, tipping the controller when he's asked everyone to give a bow. Muchkin's aren't visible at thate point).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back