The Legend of Korra, by Platinum Games. The SLEEPER HIT of the year 2014?

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
I purchased The Legend of Korra a couple of days ago in the Ultimate Summer Sale and this is an impressive game, superb fun and it's so smooth, it looks like it runs at something akin to 120 fps. The gameplay is just almost perfect, and there are many secret areas and cool stuff around if you are a bit observant.

Plus it is a good game for families and their kids.

Gotta wonder why I didn't know about this game before. The staff of Platinum Games are geniuses and I missed this game when it came out, sigh...

The official trailer is quite enlightening:

I also made a 20 seconds video of me playing this great game:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Ruin of Palmira/video/4462149

Gotta wonder why I didn't know about this game before.
Metascore of 49% maybe? Made of mixed and negative reviews, no positive (>70%). User reviews have some enthusiastic players, but the reason you didn't know about this game was it didn't have massive marketing backing, wasn't covered at large by the gaming press, is crazy short (although reasonable as a download title), is a download only title, and didn't generate large-scale interest on the grounds of being awesome to its players.

I imagine there's possibly hundreds of download titles you haven't been made aware of! We always talk about 'famous' games on the internet, but there are a heck load more games actually released that we'll never even hear of.

A lot of people think that compared to the best games in the genre (Bayonetta, DMC (the real ones) etc) this game is quite lacking. But I liked it and look forward to the Platinum Transformers game.

Metascore of 49% maybe? Made of mixed and negative reviews, no positive (>70%). User reviews have some enthusiastic players, but the reason you didn't know about this game was it didn't have massive marketing backing, wasn't covered at large by the gaming press, is crazy short (although reasonable as a download title), is a download only title, and didn't generate large-scale interest on the grounds of being awesome to its players.

I imagine there's possibly hundreds of download titles you haven't been made aware of! We always talk about 'famous' games on the internet, but there are a heck load more games actually released that we'll never even hear of.
Some sites aren't going to score a 9 to a game that doesn't look like Ryse. The game looks very crisp and had nice AF and antialiasing, very little eyecandy stuff but perfect framerate and excellent gameplay mechanics, many cool secrets and parents with children will love it to play them alone, with their children or let their children play the game themselves. It caters both to adults and teens and so on. I recommended it to a friend over Xbox Live and now he has advanced more than me.

Thankfully the game was made by Platinum Games despite being published by Activision.

Some sites aren't going to score a 9 to a game that doesn't look like Ryse.

Hell, they won't even score it a 9 if it looks and is named Ryse!

The game was a mediocre cartoon tie-in, its not a sleeper hit, it's not even a hit. At best it is a great $5 game for the fans of the show.

The game was a mediocre cartoon tie-in, its not a sleeper hit, it's not even a hit. At best it is a great $5 game for the fans of the show.
It's not that bad, trust me on this one. A perfect game for the summer, to have fun and enjoy the smoothness and feel good about your console running graphics so well like that.

Plus it's an EXCELLENT game to get the difference between 24 fps cinema and 60 fps gameplay in videogames. Some parts of the game are videos running at 24 fps. Then you get in game cinematics at 60 fps and cinema mode looks like hell and cinematics in game are heaven.

Have you actually played it and have experience in the genre?

Ymmv with everything, but especially children friendly titles on consoles tend to get rated badly. A game that was a big favorite in our house for a long time, scoring 49%. Though at least it does have a few 80s:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/super-rub-a-dub/critic-reviews

I was discouraged from this game by the reviews though, but my son loves the series, so may still give it a shot based on your recommendation.

Ymmv with everything, but especially children friendly titles on consoles tend to get rated badly. A game that was a big favorite in our house for a long time, scoring 49%. Though at least it does have a few 80s:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/super-rub-a-dub/critic-reviews

I was discouraged from this game by the reviews though, but my son loves the series, so may still give it a shot based on your recommendation.
The only flaw in the game is that, if I am correct -I tested it personally-, the game seems to support only a language, English. Or maybe the downloaded file changes if you have set the Xbox One dashboard to a language -I had it set to English back then- other than English, which was a relatively common practice in the X360 days.

Rub-a-dub was awesome! I want a PS4 version for my kid.
I've never played Rub a Dub. But I understand what you mean. For instance, the first Call of Juarez is one of my favourite games ever, and "only" got a 78-79 at Metacritic.

Back