The Last Guy (SCEJ)

Right now it's just (online) buzz, it can be measured via surveys and collecting posts across the net.

The "viral-ness" (word of mouth) is usually measured in terms of outgoing referral (e.g., How many times someone introduces/mentions "The Last Guy" to their friends). *If* the necessary platform is setup, this can be sampled by observing the referer URL or forwarding webmail URL when they look at the web server log.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it. They have offline element too (The restaurant gaming tables). So some people have already seen and played the game. They are just holding back the information online to stage the marketing.

Right now it's just (online) buzz, it can be measured via surveys and collecting posts across the net...etc...
Right, but do you have any actual metrics, any numbers, to tell us it's 'many people' who are interested? What constitutes 'many'? 100? 10,000? A million? And is interest in the viral event interest in the game?

It's an informal comment based on daily exposure to Internet fora. :)

flOw is a relatively high profile PSN game (It was in top 10 if I remember correctly). If you use it as a reference to measure online buzz, its main GAF thread is 7 pages with 14,357 views and 308 replies.

The Last Guy's promo video thread is also 7 page long with 338 replies and 22,978 views. There are a few YouTube videos which sum up to about 5,000 - 6,000 views. Not as high as Janet Jackson's "boobs" video but it's all free exposure to more people (and may still be spreading).

Humor is a good reason for people to forward links around. I am pretty sure some fellow gamers in India will forward The Last Guy's teaser link to their friends because it is closer to "home".

Personally, it makes me think that these guys are fun to be with. So hopefully their game will be like its creators.

I am also curious about their restaurant co-marketing effort. Besides getting slightly more people exposed to PS3 and the game in general, I'd love to see more shops like this in the Bay Area :)
Dave & Buster is too noisy for me.

EDIT:
And is interest in the viral event interest in the game?

This is always a concern for any sort of marketing: Whether the people getting the message fits the target profile. In this case, they should be pretty relevant since all I see now are forum threads about the game. You'll have to discount people who don't own PS3 from the figure. But then again, the thread title may already filter non-PS3 owners away.

Visited stor-age.com to find undiscovered info (about anything !). Found something new on "The Last Guy".

Please be forewarned that I have no experience with Asian gaming sites, like whether they hype games unrealistically. But here goes:
http://www.stor-age.com/stor-age/2008/0710/974898.shtml

SCE recently announced a mysterious PS3 game, The Last Guy. Game genre is Multi-people [Multiplayer] Action. Official website has been launched. To be available in 2008 Summer [Remember this is probably Asia release date]. Price unknown.

In "The Last Guy", the player controls "Last Guy", using various techniques to escape from the zombies. At the same time, lead survivors to the escape zone within the time limit. The game uses Google Earth's HD images to create mobs. It's a hide and seek game that can be highly addicitive [says who ?]

Yesterday, Japanese media, including Famicon and GameSpot, got invited to play test the game.

Famicon
First impression is (if you have not experienced the game personally, you might not know what I'm talking about): At first glance, it looks like a low-tech game. But it truly is a high-tech title. It has the intensity of a hide-n-seek game, and give people the feeling of "Now this is what I call a SCE game !". The keywords are "rescue" and "SCE originality". Too bad I can't reveal too much. But I want to stress that regardless of who is playing the game, (s)he will be shouting and laughing while (s)he plays it.

Gpara
Very refined and high quality imageries. Gameplay is astonishingly simple. Despite its simplicity, the power of PS3 has been utilized without reserve into the game details, thus emitting a refreshing new feel.

GameSpot
Generously flaunting PS3's processing power; potentially (highly) addictive. Once caught, may be hard to get out.

That's the end of the article. I think we are supposed to get more info on the 18th July.

:LOL: Yes... the language use is rather pompous. The title of that article reads: "Even Famicon is screaming. The Last Guy announced".

That's why I inserted the disclaimer at the beginning (Do Asian gaming sites typically overhype games ?). I'd wait and see the game personally. I am more interested in the so-called intense and additive gameplay at the moment.

From the screenshots, the Google Earth images do look nice.

Heh... I was rethinking the translation (also double checked with Google). The translation seems correct. But from the quotes, I have a feeling the game may be a mix of "Tag" and "Hide and seek" (because we have to save the survivors within the time limit).

Humor is a good reason for people to forward links around. I am pretty sure some fellow gamers in India will forward The Last Guy's teaser link to their friends because it is closer to "home".

Thats one of the main reasons of the video spreading so much in India. Friends who are not gamers and look at us gamers with fear, awe and disgust are gleefully watching the video and spreading it around. Some of these might come by to check out the game if one of the gamer friend buys it. Some might get introduced to casual gaming and ps3 may not intimidate them that much. Such videos do work, especially with people who were not at all interested in the phenomenon before, as it offers them a new perspective towards what they were hesitating to check out.

Of course, it is also a very fun joke to play at all the bengali friends ! ;)

EDIT: OOps! I came late into the discussion !

I'm intrigued. In concept sounds a little like Lemmings and Capcom's recently revealed Flock.

I saw the Flock video. It looks more like a puzzle game. The Last Guy has zombies, which are absent from both games.

I am skeptical about mob generation that fits the Google Earth images (unless the zombies can fly), but let's see.

Yeah, it's only a little bit like Flock and Lemmings. :p

I'm really keen to see more on the Google Earth imagery integration. Surely that must need some tweaking. I'm racing ahead I know but having something set in your own (tweaked) locale would rock.

Hmm. After my earlier patchy comparisons I've found some closer analogies... Snake (the classic from old Nokia phones) and Pacman.

So, can it be played on any satellite image? Does it compute dummy 3d objects from the image for collision detection and makes pathways out of roads?

or is it a few maps that can be played.

If it means I can play on any image from Google earth or something, that would be a breakthrough though the gameplay will be on the mercy of the image. So, I don;t think that is possible. They must have made maps out of a few images from the satellite where they believe a match is plausible(balanced gameplay) and maybe they will keep providin more such "images"(maps) later.

Creating maps from images isn't too tricky. See Line Rider, or the original Worms, for bitmap-based levels. I hope 'The Last Guy' isn't an allusion to the gameplay experience of getting everyone out only to find there's some last guy lost somewhere...

I think it's a misnomer. The Last Guy leads the crowd away from monsters and into the safe zone. The Last Hero might be a better fit ?

Back