The Last Guy (SCEJ)

one

Unruly Member
Veteran
A new PS3 title from SCEJ, to be unveiled on July 11th.

http://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/title/lastguy/

A preview event was held at a coffee shop in Tokyo, with PS3-embedded arcade tables like Space Invader cabinets. The game itself is still under embargo, but apparently the player as "the last guy" walks around a realistic place such as Japan while game play is simple and addictive.

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20080709/lastguy.htm

lastguy3.jpg

Heh... are they going to generalize this model ? The PS3 might last a year or two if the table is well ventilated.

Any significance to the old skool set-up? From the pic one posted I can see a top-down view of a city (I think). Consider me intrigued - simple and addictive (funnily enough) always floats my boat.

EDIT: Ahh, it does appear to be a top-down view from the links Lucid posted. Thanks.

It's probably just an atmosphere thing, the retro style is well received for another PSP game by SCE too.

But The Last Guy is a PSN title in HD. I guess it uses satellite images just like Google Maps and Google Earth with path information as meta data for the game logic.

07.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very imaginative ! I'm intrigued, to say the least. The Japanese game developers have strange (but wonderful) ideas :) Afrika, Aquanaut and Shiki Tei are rather unconventional (non-games) too.

For some reason, The Last Guy reminds me of the parkour game, Mirror Edge.

Are they not trying to speak japanese? In any case my indian is probably worse than my japanes which is non existant :D

Gosh. It kind of sounds a bit like Hindi but not entirely. Maybe Nepalese or something? Where's Deepak when you need him?

Actually that 2nd guy does sound like he's speaking Hindi - but mine isn't very good (not having worked in India or Pakistan in a few years) - I'm only catching a few phrases.

The third guy(?) in the shouts out "I'm the last guy! Sorry, I've said too much... The Last Guy something something".

I find it amusing for some reason though. :)

Bengali translation

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11910320&postcount=216

he's basically talking about how he's set up a new studio, and they are working in a comfortable surrounding on an great game. Then he talks about food for a bit, saying how they get to eat great food, then he apologises for talking about food and goes back to the game and how cool it is and how you're the last guy ever.

Peculiar that they are speaking both Hindi and Bengali.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11910352&postcount=220

The guy with the goat also mentions how the PS3 has opened up whole new avenues for everyone and something about the Himalayas too. And then goes off in to a crazy tangent about how he's the last guy. He also snips in that he's the best in the Himalayas (at what I didn't quite catch) lol.

Very odd. But really cool to see a game for the PS3 being developed under such circumstances. It's definitely peaked my interest. And I like their logo. No idea what kind of a game it is though lol. They don't give away any specifics

Hindi translation: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11910364&postcount=223

- Hello. I am programmer for the last guy. My name is Viye Bokhare. The last guy uses the PS3's cell and the use has cleared the graphics alot. *shows the screen* As you can see, i have cleared the picture of PS3 using my brain. I am number one in calculation in the entire Himalayas *uses calculator*.

- Hello. I am the graphic designer for the last guy. My name is Asok Sen. The whole world knows the last guy. The whole world knows there is a father of the last guy. I know that he is my son. I created him. He is my son. I am the last guy! Sorry, i talked a bit too much. This is the last game I'll create and its awesome!

- Whatever program I created for PS3, if we work together then there is no difficulty. This controller can help move the character with ease. You can also hear audio from this headphone. (Says some jibberish about the biggest something about last guy that you can move it. Maybe he is talking about motion). With playstation 3, all the doors for gaming are open. I am number one in calculation in the entire Himalayas!!

- I provided the design for all the dead characters in the last guy. I created the design by myself. As you can see, this terrifying design is creating by me *shows a picture*. The whole world knows the last guy. I say i designed it! I am the last guy!! Sorry, i spoke too much.

(translation not 100% but yea, you get the drift :p)

wth... Sony you expect us to translate your marketing collaterals now too ? :LOL:

This must be the wierdest marketing campaign ever..

Are these guys really the developers of the game or just actors?

Is the game being published by SCEJ?

I'm totally confused as to what this game is about now..

:p

I speak Hindi and can understand most of Bengali.....they are just screwing around , I don't think they are the devs, I dunno what Sony is planning but it was pretty funny for me(coz I can understand it! ;) ).
At first I thought it was some fun video making fun of Indian devs! But then realised its on Sony Japanese website !!A hindi /Bengali video on a Japanese Site!!!!?!?!:oops: What's up Sony ?

These new marketing ideas keep me amused!:cool: I am loving the R2 ARG 1

Hello. I am the graphic designer for the last guy. My name is Asok Sen. The whole world knows the last guy. The whole world knows there is a father of the last guy. I know that he is my son. I created him. He is my son. I am the last guy! Sorry, i talked a bit too much. This is the last game I'll create and its awesome!

He doesn't say that He says:

The whole world knows the Last guy.This is the success of The Last Guy. I know this is my success. I have made the Last guy. This is My Success,I am the last guy.Sorry

- Whatever program I created for PS3, if we work together then there is no difficulty. This controller can help move the character with ease. You can also hear audio from this headphone. (Says some jibberish about the biggest something about last guy that you can move it. Maybe he is talking about motion). With playstation 3, all the doors for gaming are open. I am number one in calculation in the entire Himalayas!!

Whatever programs I have made, if we use them and the ps3 together then nothing is impossible. You can move the character very easily with this controller and you can hear the sound too with these headphones. The biggest point in The last guy game is that you can move the character very easily. Ps3 has opened the gateway to all the games.I am number one in calculation in the entire Himalayas!!

He he! ;) Don't mind the grammer as I am translating it literally the way he speaks.:smile:

Not a speaking a word of Foreign, I was still able to make out these were supposedly three developers creating 'The Last Guy' and they were clearly of the impression it is to be the best game ever made. It's evidently a skit. I guess it was successful in generating interest. Bit of a shame that Sony don't feel confident the game itself can generate a buzz though. Seriously, viral marketing is tantamount to an admission that your product is dull and boring, and they only way to garner interest is to sneak about and appeal to humanity's curiosity. We else don't you post up 'this game is about such-and-such' and see the world gasp in amazement and queue with their game-buying dollars? I just know that when something viral is found, the content will be heartily disinteresting. Best case, the game itself is good, but the marketing itself irks me.

Not a speaking a word of Foreign, I was still able to make out these were supposedly three developers creating 'The Last Guy' and they were clearly of the impression it is to be the best game ever made. It's evidently a skit. I guess it was successful in generating interest. Bit of a shame that Sony don't feel confident the game itself can generate a buzz though. Seriously, viral marketing is tantamount to an admission that your product is dull and boring, and they only way to garner interest is to sneak about and appeal to humanity's curiosity. We else don't you post up 'this game is about such-and-such' and see the world gasp in amazement and queue with their game-buying dollars? I just know that when something viral is found, the content will be heartily disinteresting. Best case, the game itself is good, but the marketing itself irks me.

Maybe big titles get viral marketing media. Halo3, Resistance2, etc. I don't think it says anything about the quality of the game. I think it's just a trend we will see more of.

There is some element of truth to what you're saying but it's not absolute.

When used correctly, viral marketing is a very cheap and effective way to propagate your message. Not every product lends itself well to viral marketing. And it is not so easy to do a good one.

The marketing move speaks more about the capability of the marketing team. They have also gotten an interesting co-marketing deal with that restaurant... mainly for free PR. It also implies that they have a small marketing budget, or they want to save money to maximize profit.

Right now they have managed to pique many people's interests, and also communicated some level of fun-ness successfully. I like the visual so far so they only need to show the gameplay next.

Back