The Intel Execution in [2024]

As I said I don't think it's correct to state zero review, maybe if you want to be strictly those of the typical/staple tech outlets.

Those were for 13th gen.

Also again technically if you just set power limits you basically get the non K processors -

They just aren't that interesting to review or applicable to DIY. Kind of like why not every specific graphics card model gets cited and treated differently in most discourse, and most people just cite say RTX 4090 reviews, as opposed to every specific graphics card model.

They just aren't that interesting to review or applicable to DIY.
They are interesting because a) there is competition below the super max highest possible TDP parts and some people want to know who's doing how there...
Because b)

cpu-temperature-blender.png

They are interesting because a) there is competition below the super max highest possible TDP parts and some people want to know who's doing how there...
Because b)

cpu-temperature-blender.png

Again as I stated they aren't interesting because as that review shows the K parts can just be manually power limited if they just want to run at lower power.

So practically speaking for most of DIY, which is what tech outlets target, they don't need a specific review for a 14900 or to buy one.

A lot of those Intel SKUs while technically they are available to retail channel in practice they are really intended for OEMs and SI.

Of course they are, it's a no-brainer that should have been clear for everyone when Intel told what the issue is. If you burn your transistors there's no way to undo the damage
They might figure the microcode update will push most of the failures outside of the warranty period. Then they can deal with RMAs for anything that fails before then.

They should cover replacements outside of the warranty period given the nature of the issue.
Replace them with what until when? Raptor Lake is also in laptops:)

Almost 2 years of production is just waiting to break while their next architecture is in the pipeline. Do you want them to produce 13th and 14th chips for a long time just to replace "broken" chips with "less" broken chips and potentially delay 15th generation production?

IMHO the microcode update is at best just delaying the problem and how long depends on how damaged it already is.

They are so screwed....

Almost 2 years of production is just waiting to break while their next architecture is in the pipeline. Do you want them to produce 13th and 14th chips for a long time just to replace "broken" chips with "less" broken chips and potentially delay 15th generation production?

IMHO the microcode update is at best just delaying the problem and how long depends on how damaged it already is.

They are so screwed....
Replace it with whatever the closest performing CPU they currently produce is. This situation should be handled similarly to car part recalls where a warranty period is irrelevant and they just fix their manufacturing defect.

Replace it with whatever the closest performing CPU they currently produce is. This situation should be handled similarly to car part recalls where a warranty period is irrelevant and they just fix their manufacturing defect.
The issue is that their next CPUs need new mobo too, and in some cases different memories too (raptor still does ddr4 too)

The issue is that their next CPUs need new mobo too, and in some cases different memories too (raptor still does ddr4 too)
Then Intel should cover that too since this is a situation created entirely by their incompetence and anti-consumer practices.

[...]
Do you want them to produce 13th and 14th chips for a long time just to replace "broken" chips with "less" broken chips and potentially delay 15th generation production?
Given the context yes, i do.

I'm still not sure what the story is with the 13600K. Is it experiencing elevated failure rates? I assume it has the same problem to a lesser extent and I'm wondering if my 13600K that's been running 24/7 since Feb 2023 needs to be replaced.

How urgent will it be to replace if it does die? From the sounds of it you'll get instability first, so crashing. If that starts happening you can look into a replacement. If you can't take that risk...hit up Reddit and ask around, I guess.

I'm still not sure what the story is with the 13600K. Is it experiencing elevated failure rates? I assume it has the same problem to a lesser extent and I'm wondering if my 13600K that's been running 24/7 since Feb 2023 needs to be replaced.
Any 13th and 14th gen CPU with 65w TDP or above is affected, as per Intel's statement.

Vast majority of people reporting issues have 900k variants.

There is no reason to assume that all chips have the same issue if it's a voltage thing. Certainly we all knew from the beginning that Raptor Lake chips were being pushed pretty hard, but this does not mean that all are in danger of such severe degradation.

How urgent will it be to replace if it does die? From the sounds of it you'll get instability first, so crashing. If that starts happening you can look into a replacement. If you can't take that risk...hit up Reddit and ask around, I guess.
It's the only LGA 1700 CPU I have access to. It would be a PITA if I had to RMA it but it doesn't run anything critical.
Any 13th and 14th gen CPU with 65w TDP or above is affected, as per Intel's statement.
I'm wondering to what extent it's a problem on the lower end CPUs. If I apply the microcode update can I expect it to be fine for the rest of its life? Has it already been damaged? Intel is not being very clear about this and it doesn't look like they intend to be.

Also the statement "13th or 14th gen 65W or above" doesn't seem true. The i5-13400 has 65W TDP and it shouldn't be affected. As far as I know it's just Raptor Lake chips that are affected.

Back