[The Inquirer] PS3 supports KB/Mouse + dev kit cost

Acert93 said:
It was announced earlier this week the Xbox 360 will support USB Keyboards. No work on mice or if in game.

Oh man...there has to be Mice support for games...I mean...without a mouse...thats like Hal without Oats.....Peter without the Pan....Jelly without the peanut butter..and maybe without the bread also....

Acert93 said:
It was announced earlier this week the Xbox 360 will support USB Keyboards. No work on mice or if in game.

But only for text input, not for controlling games.

BlueTsunami said:
Real cool...I wonder if BlueTooth functionality will go beyond Keyboards, Mice and Controllers (Headphones..or Headsets)

Not just any headset but also the latest released BT "stereo" headsets will be compatible with PS3's Bluetooth 2.0 EDR. Where EDR stands for Enhanced Data Rate meaning 3MB/sec data transfer wirelessly via Bluetooth. EDR is the fastest Bluetooth standard to date and isn't even applied on any device other than the PS3 afaik(or correct me).

wco81 said:
But only for text input, not for controlling games.

The last official statement I heard was there was no decision of a MS/KB could be used in game. That was just after E3.

Got a link on a confirmation it wont support KB/MS in game?

Chandler said:
Heres the latest! (september 1st, 2005)

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60737

"You can plug in a keyboard but this is for text input only - including in massively-multiplayer games. You can't use it to play games and that was a design choice."

How disappointing it is to see this. It seems like to me that MS is shooting themselves in the foot on this one. They better hope devs don't use the PS3 for FPS games. Epic would be smart to allow it though through a config menu change.

mckmas8808 said:
How disappointing it is to see this. It seems like to me that MS is shooting themselves in the foot on this one. They better hope devs don't use the PS3 for FPS games. Epic would be smart to allow it though through a config menu change.

This was gone over last generation. Kb/Mouse players have too large of an advantage over most standard controller players. I guess by your thinking MS shot themselves in the foot over not letting a KB/Mouse connect for Halo which didn't sell many copies because you had to play with a standard controller...oh wait.

mckmas8808 said:

I had read that it would too much of an advantage for kb/m players when playing over X360 LIVE.

Tap In said:
I had read that it would too much of an advantage for kb/m players when playing over X360 LIVE.

That's kind of my thought. I would prefer to use a mouse/KB combo for FPS games, but it is definitely a major advantage over standard controllers.

Of course, if I've got a console hooked up to my home theater I'm really not going to have a comfortable place to use a mouse and keyboard. A controller is much better in that situation.

Tap In said:

I find that to be a cop out. I've played several games online where there are different "rooms" for varying difficulty levels would it be a stretch of imagination to think that MS can cater to the keyboard/ mouse users and the controller users on different areas, perhaps '"match" you exclusively with other keyboard/mouse users or am I just talking out of my ass?

Sovere said:
I find that to be a cop out. I've played several games online where there are different "rooms" for varying difficulty levels would it be a stretch of imagination to think that MS can cater to the keyboard/ mouse users and the controller users on different areas, perhaps '"match" you exclusively with other keyboard/mouse users or am I just talking out of my ass?
Yes, thats the whole idea of halo2's matchmaking.

You can fragment a userbase so much before it becomes counter productive.

Fact is

1. KB/MS do not work well in most living rooms/bed rooms where the user's TV / Console are located

2. It is a huge advantage... you are talking about not only segregating the players, but also the stats, rankings, and so forth.

3. Developers then have another input device to support; and since KB/MS is superior to a gamepad for FPS you run the risk of devs neglecting the gamepad input

4. KB/MS require totally different balance. KB/MS you are more accurate and quick. The small auto-aim gamepads have would have to be taken off and more enemies would have to be added, etc.

And I am not saying that because I don't want KB/MS support. My next gen check list

[QUOTE="Acert's Next Gen Demands]1. Excellent Online Support and Features
2. 720p letterboxed support on my 1280x1024 LCD
3. KB/MS support for FPS[/QUOTE]

I am a really good KB/MS player, so of course I want KB/MS. This news is the most exciting console news I have heard in a while!! But there are huge issues and I cannot blame them for not supporting it because it could be a mess and turn people off.

So on a personal level I hope this news make MS change their position... from an industry perspective I think MS is doing the right thing. Only time will tell if my ultra competitive nature or market reality win.

My guess is most gamers are casuals, and bending over backwards for hard core gamers--who already are waaay better--really upsets the competitive balance.

But why force an edict?

Why not leave it to the publisher/developer to gauge their fanbase and do what they think will serve their customers the best?

It's not like USB keyboards and mice are so prohibitive in cost that it would present a hardship for people wanting to buy them. Certainly no worse than $50 wireless controllers.

Hmm, maybe that's what it's partly about, to maximize those higher-margin first-party peripheral sales.

Acer93 said:
I am a really good KB/MS player, so of course I want KB/MS. This news is the most exciting console news I have heard in a while!! But there are huge issues and I cannot blame them for not supporting it because it could be a mess and turn people off

WHAT??? Where are you heads at guys? What's going on around here? Every slightly, very very slightly small x360 disadvantage some how gets turned into a "It never mattered at all anyway" comment. What every happened to the single player campain?

Playing through the storyline of a game like Halo 3 with k/b option would benefit some players. I thought you guys liked playing games with a k/b. What happened? :mad:

mckmas8808 said:
WHAT??? Where are you heads at guys? What's going on around here? Every slightly, very very slightly small x360 disadvantage some how gets turned into a "It never mattered at all anyway" comment. What every happened to the single player campain?

Playing through the storyline of a game like Halo 3 with k/b option would benefit some players. I thought you guys liked playing games with a k/b. What happened? :mad:

for MS (and gamers like me ;) ) it's all about the online play, baby. :D

An additional bit from the Eurogamer article:

"Cross-platform development between Windows and Xbox is being actively pursued - in the future, Microsoft hopes that people will be able to play games against each other using either platform."

I would hate to play a FPS on a console against other people that are using a mouse and keyboard on their PCs.....but I would love to play an FPS on my PC against a bunch of console players:)

I guess the tables turn for sports games.

Back