The hardware in Kinect 2.0 looks to be amazing where is the software to show it off?

I "google" using Bing. I don't have time to invent verbs that are dependent on the search engine I use. I am lazy like that. LOL.

"I duckduckwent that subject the other day Bob." said GTFOH.

Last edited:
Way back, didn't the Kinect have problems with reading Black people or something?

Kinect 1.0

Kinect 2.0 is significantly better to the point where it can function in extremely low light situations. however with that said, the hit rates are slightly lower with darker skins.

Build for everyone, ended up useful for orangutans? thats funny material
easy jokes aside, as long as they don't touch my very personal tropical fruit. :D

Actually this is perfect for easy jokes. Where I live "playing the orangutan" (we say literally "making the orangutan") means monkeying around :smile:

Figured this was the best place to put this, MS has closed the Xbox Fitness store. You can no longer make purchases. If you have purchased any games from the Xbox Fitness store, you have a year to use them before the entire thing is scuttled.

https://microsoftstudios.com/news/2016/06/27/xbox-fitness-sunset-announcement/

I don't really see the logic here, there must be on-going costs associated with maintaining the Xbox Fitness portal that I'm not recognizing. I can understand that various licensing deals could be expiring, but I don't see how legally purchases can be treated differently than workout DVDs. (ie, people who bought PX90 on DVD can still use it - on the XB1, only for one more year.)

On the bright side, it saved my the $399 for the XB1S and $50 for another kinect and $179 for a MS Band. So good news all around, I guess.

It also motivated me to look up PS4 fitness options, which to my surprise, there are none. The fitness games on the PS2 were on of my girlfriend at the time most favorite things.

Figured this was the best place to put this, MS has closed the Xbox Fitness store. You can no longer make purchases. If you have purchased any games from the Xbox Fitness store, you have a year to use them before the entire thing is scuttled.

I don't really see the logic here, there must be on-going costs associated with maintaining the Xbox Fitness portal that I'm not recognizing. I can understand that various licensing deals could be expiring, but I don't see how legally purchases can be treated differently than workout DVDs. (ie, people who bought PX90 on DVD can still use it - on the XB1, only for one more year.)

Here's my take on it ...

This is to prepare the market (consumers) for the inevitable total lack of support for all things Kinect on XBox Scorpio including Kinect Games. That might be extreme, but I really think they don't want to support Kinect 2.0 hardware so by cutting off the software aspects it serves to limit the expectations that the hardware will work there.

I suppose that's correct, but they just released two new games today as well for Fitness. (As a way to say Thank You, of course..) You can't purchase either of these games, but you can stream them for one month. Then they, like all the other games you didn't actually purchase prior to today, vanish. Leaving you with only the games you've purchased before now.

So MS has had these two new Fitness games in development for I don't know how long and decided the best way to get an ROI is to release them while telling the users they are only good for a month and the entire service ends in one year.

It just seems to me like MS is still having issues with this entire integration push, because the Kinect/MS Band/MS Health app integration was really done quite well.

Code:
snip

It also motivated me to look up PS4 fitness options, which to my surprise, there are none. The fitness games on the PS2 were on of my girlfriend at the time most favorite things.

I am really hoping for a PS4 port of Move Fitness et al for the same reason. PS4 supports Move just fine so shouldn't be hard. I don't necessarily want to keep my PS3 around for ever and the Ps4 is much more convenient anyway.

Perhaps there will eventually be a VR version, but ai am not 100% sure I'd want that - I'd probably break something or someone if I can't see what I am doing. Perhaps Hololens will be better at this eventually.

Very sad, this was a huge opportunity for MS to get into education software for kids, fitness apps for health and now its gone... Just Dance is probably my daughter's favorite game and the motion controls are pretty crappy, if there were reading and math games heck even language could be possible.... MS could have positioned the Xbox as the gateway to the PC for kids if they had a bit more ambition. They had very good tech, just imagine what the Media Molecule guys could have done with it....

MS poisoned Kinect with their initial approach to it. It became a loathed and ridiculed software starved sign of MS's contempt for Xbox customers, instead of a desirable accessory that expanded the way people interacted with their TV.

Most impressive piece of technology this generation - by a mile - and it's in the bin.

Back