The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damage model implies less resources that could have been in used for something else. Like better graphics, or better physics or whatever.

Normally I would agree to this, but in this case, I don't. GT5 has become very steril over the years - sure, the physics have gotten better, there are more cars to chose from and the tuning options have become more sophisticated - but that's about it.

I think damage is the logical next step in the evolution of the series, not only from a visual point of view, but also as to the potential new gameplay possibilites - offline and online. Damage of course doesn't cure bad driving, but it does influence better driving in general, especially if repairs cost a lot.

The damage doesn't have to be too fancy either IMO. I thought the step from NFS3 to High-Stakes (on the PSone) was huge - simply for the gameplay that damage introduced. Polyphony could take this further - anything that is a potential write-off accident should yield consequences by having the player buy that car again (or repair it for the cost of a new one). Perhaps you could also go further by disqualifying a player from a tournament if he doesn't race accoardingly. An idea would be to have certain tournaments/events where you only have a fixed budget to use on repairs between racers - or none at all, forcing the player to keep his car intact for the entire tournament.

It's not a showcase it's a new GT Academy competition version.

Judging by the date the guys version cuts off I'd guess it will be released just before or after xmas.

It's not a showcase it's a new GT Academy competition version.

Judging by the date the guys version cuts off I'd guess it will be released just before or after xmas.

It's already known when it comes out ... this week!

Hate the track, but love the cockpit view of these cars. I guess the track is a good choice for being a lesser known track and nobody in Europe can feel 'favored', but oh well, it's a new track at least.

Yea track is very bland. I know they say its not a demo but im sure most people will view it as such so they should have gone with one of the more interesting and better looking tracks imo.

It is a boring track. No overtaking whatsoever.

There seems to be a rumoured track list and it seems there are lots of F1 circuits out there. Who knows?

Long-ass articles about upcoming Sony first party games:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/controller-freak/heavy-rain-pours-emotion/article1399757/

But there is a point to this:

Interestingly, the Polyphony Digital delegate who led me through the demo said that the only reason crash damage exists in the game is because of mountains of requests they’ve received from American gamers. The vast majority of content requests they get from European and Asian players is for more authentic cars and tracks. Only Americans, it seems, are fixated on busting up their virtual vehicles.

He also added that, according to their research, most players who want to see realistic damage—including issues that affects performance and handling—end up turning it off after just a few races. “They say, man, that’s cool, then switch it off because it makes the game too hard.”

Are you guys asking for trouble ?

How did Forza 3 sell on a bigger user base ?

Long-ass articles about upcoming Sony first party games:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/controller-freak/heavy-rain-pours-emotion/article1399757/

But there is a point to this:

Are you guys asking for trouble ?

How did Forza 3 sell on a bigger user base ?

Well I'm not an American gamer and I would prefer realistic damage nor do I plan to turn it off after a while. However I would like to punch that PD delegate in the face for making pro-damage players sound like rednecks who just want to destroy everything and have no attention span.:rolleyes:

(... and by realistic I mean similar to some PC sims.... doesnt have to be most advanced)

:LOL: I don't think his intention is to hurt your feelings. He should give some indication of relative size though. I know the pro-damage people are definitely more vocal... [read post again]... and may be more violent.

EDIT: I have a vague feeling damage can be incorporated in a clever, unconventional way for specific people without jeopardizing gameplay.

:LOL: I don't think his intention is to hurt your feelings. He should give some indication of relative size though. I know the pro-damage people are definitely more vocal... [read post again]... and may be more violent.

EDIT: I have a vague feeling damage can be incorporated in a clever, unconventional way for specific people without jeopardizing gameplay.

Yeah, trust me, I didnt miss the irony in my own post regarding "redneckedness".:p

New form of excuse from PD…
Personally, I turn damage off when I make a run for video edition. And for the americans want damage and europeans don't want, may be it's only for GT drivers, on others sim racing games everybody want damages, it's part of the course.
So in the same idea, may be PD should let the ABS, traction and ESP always On, cause most people drive with it…

That delegate may be citing their focus test result though. Do you have your numbers ? How many PC and other console sim users are there ? Are they the same as GT players ? (How well did F3 sell, with its extensive console-based damage system ?)

I actually don't know if Polyphony has confirmed whether all cars will have damage. They mentioned that there will be varying degree of damage due to car manufacturer approval issues.

To not include damages to all models… referenced to europeans and asians want more old cars and don't care to damages. ;)

So, are you claiming that sim drivers are the majority of people who are interested in the GT series? Because that would be very, very interesting.

Patsu, Forza 3 is not a relevant example. Damage is at least as limited as it is being proposed for Gran Turismo, and you can play the game pretty much without it - it's just one of the options that if you enable it, you'll get slightly more xp when winning the race (if you enable all realism settings, you can get about 2x the xp, but if you then turn off damage you still get, say, 1.8x the XP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back