The future of Digital sales and Retail stores?

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Shifty Geezer, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

2. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Interesting, that provides a small opening for MS to get stores to push their products if they allow digital codes for games.

For the end consumer I don't see it having much effect though. But it does feel like Sony wants to put console game stores out of business in favor of having digital cash cards everywhere.

Regards,
    SB

egoless likes this.
  3. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

I forget if MS/Sony have gifting options implemented with their digital stores. Surely they're not ignoring that aspect of consumer purchasing?

4. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Confirming the news in a statement issued to Eurogamer, Sony said it took the decision "in order to continue to align key businesses globally".

Well that clears that up that decision. :???:

5. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

MS has gifting of digital titles.

egoless, AzBat and AlBran like this.
  6. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

Weird...this is good way to gift games. No different than gift cards really.

7. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Money cards are probably more profitable than full game codes. Some % of them always go unredeemed.

iroboto likes this.
  8. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Good point. I guess that could either push people to buy the physical game as a gift or let them choose some odd mix of money cards if the choice of game is difficult.

9. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

More than likely to control game pricing and cutting off grey-market vendors like cdkeys or GMG from purchasing bulk codes from different regions then reselling them in others.

DSoup likes this.
  10. tuna

Veteran

I think people would be pissed if they bought a game (card) for €30 when they could have bought the game for €20 in the PS Store.

11. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

This has nothing to do with physical games though, right? Just the digital game-specific cards.

12. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Yes. They're not stopping sale of PSN credit and cards for IGC will still be available; only codes for specific games are being discontinued.

Malo likes this.
  13. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

If money cards will still be avalible then it doesn't change much. Perhaps they are doing this to cut down on costs. Easier to just ship lots of the same digital credit cards than it is to ship out different games.

14. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

The weird thing to me is game cards being stopped but not IGC cards. I'd have thought it'd be the other way round. Does this mean IGC cards are what people buy most?

15. DSoup

DSoup meh

Maybe they just are economical. If I wanted to buy a gaming credit gift for friend of family, I'd give them generic credit rather than a specific game. That way they can spend it on whatever they like. I remember one birthday I got two copies of Bubble Bobble for the C64. :???: Maybe Sony just decided to ease up on the rain forest murder.

AlBran likes this.
  16. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Or just allocate more store space to the cash cards.

Anyways, it invariably leads to people spending more than they need because prices don't always align thus having stuff sit in the online wallets (or psychologically getting people to just purchase online things because they've already spent the RealWorld money), which is more of an advantage for the digital store owner, I guess.

egoless and DSoup like this.
  17. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

How do score card prices align with digital store prices? I presume they are sold to the stores based on the current Online Store price, so if a game is new and £25 on PSN, it's sold for maybe £20 to the retailer who gets a £5 markup. If that game price drops to £10 on the digistore, it's a waste of money buying retail? So conceptually it's better value to buy credit and get the game online at whatever the latest price is; it's not like prices ever go up after time.

18. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Perhaps, but nominally the intent is for these to be gift cards (your father’s brother’s nephew’s cousin’s former roommate buys you a card because they don't trust you with their CC info). :p

The digital store gets the revenue early, which I suppose has some benefit in the context of fiscal year & inflation (in the case of unspent credit vs direct purchase, which is possible if the gift cards are bought in larger denominations than necessary) :?: There are reasons for the wallet/credit over the years, although I suppose a large part is avoiding CC transaction fees for small amounts.

In the context of gifting, the credit is just more flexible where specific digital game codes are somewhat redundant if the person knows what they want and could have just bought it directly online.

#18 AlBran, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    DSoup likes this.
  19. milk

Veteran Regular

All this talk of physical stores and new ways to sell games and online content has got me thinking. And now I thinkI just had a brilliant idea.
    What if they created little physical kiosks for buying loot boxes? They could be the size of an Arcade Cabinet, and have a big lever on the side to roll the next lootbox. You could place hundreds of these in a building, maybe by a bar and hotel. The advantage is you don't even have to bother with the boring online mach part of the game. Just sink your teeth right into the part that keeps on bringing you back.
    EA, take note.

20. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-04-02-pre-owned-game-sales-are-in-freefall-in-the-uk

If people are less interested in 2nd hand games, stores lose even more relevance. I wonder if mobile has helped move folk towards digital downloads?

Edit: Actually, looking at comments on that story, it seems people are avoiding second hand in stores because of ludicrous pricing. 2nd hand sales may be robust on eBay etc.

DSoup and AlBran like this.