The DS price is unveiled by EBGames

Oh yeah V3, I'm just sure that Nintendo must have spent billions of dollars on R&D to put 2 normal LCD screens in a handheld. :LOL:

Goldni said:
I've already preordered my DS. The EB manager said that the $199 price is only an "overestimate" to cover the real price for when it does become clear what the final price will be. He said they've done it before with several other products before they've launched so far off. It'll most likely be $149.00 when it releases in November. I'll be in line.
Thanks, that is good news! :D

Come on guys, if everything was true that EBgames hosts on their website than RE4 would be running on a PS2 at the E3. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah V3, I'm just sure that Nintendo must have spent billions of dollars on R&D to put 2 normal LCD screens in a handheld.

Are you saying they didn't put alot of money ? Maybe not billions, I am sure millions go into that development. You've seems to take this system for granted. I wonder why ? Is it because it looks cheap or is it because the idea put into this system sounds cheap ? I won't be suprised if they sunk in as much money as SCE did for PSP to R&D this device.

But that beside the point, my point was, for Nintendo, this innovation is the third pillar. To Nintendo its a damn good innovative product, people shouldn't have problem paying $300 (or the upper price point for videogames gadget), because its worth it.

If it is a good product and launch at $150, Nintendo are selling themself short, like they did Gamecube.

V3 said:
but 200$ is to much.

Does that show how much you value this rare " gaming innovation" ?

If this was true for everyone, Nintendo is pretty screwed aren't they ?

I mean it must have cost them alot of money, to R&D this handheld with two screens.

No i just don't use my gba enough to warrent upgrading it to something that cost twice what i payed for my gba sp.

I wont spend more than 200$ on a console and iI wont spend more than 100$ on a moble system unless its something major .

Well 2 screens is more important than the ngage 2 .... errr i meant psp

Ohh don't worry about PSP, it'll most likely get bulldoze by DS, if not that GBA2, if not that DS2, if not that GBA3. ;)

This is about how much money Nintendo can make while doing it :D

Are you saying they didn't put alot of money ? Maybe not billions, I am sure millions go into that development.

Well you said Nintendo would be screwed if DS failed because they must have spent so much on R&D. Nintendo have billions and billions of dollars. So unless it cost them billions to R&D then no they would not be screwed, that's what I'm saying. It would be quite bad for Nintendo if it did fail obviously, but more from an image point of view then because of money lost on R&D (IMO anyway).

You've seems to take this system for granted. I wonder why ? Is it because it looks cheap or is it because the idea put into this system sounds cheap ?

Yes the idea does sound relatively cheap to me as far as cost of R&D goes. After all good idea's don't cost money, technology does. DS is not about cutting edge high end technology.

I won't be suprised if they sunk in as much money as SCE did for PSP to R&D this device.

Then you'd be massively wide of the mark IMO. Doesn't PSP use sony developed parts mostly? Parts developed by Sony specifically for PSP? Its also cutting edge high end technology (in the handheld market). Meanwhile every component in DS is current technology that did not need to be developed specifically for DS. DS is not about using new technology, its about using current technology in a new way. The R&D costs of DS and PSP will not even be close.

My question is, which one out of all the handhelds that will populate out world come Christmas, which one will be the new Virtual Boy? Or the next Linx?

Bets are open.

Couldn't decide to buy a new GBA-SP to replace my GBA...
DS comes right, with GBA compatiblity and backlite screen, I'll save money :)

london-boy said:
My question is, which one out of all the handhelds that will populate out world come Christmas, which one will be the new Virtual Boy? Or the next Linx?

Bets are open.

IMO it really depends on price. IF DS is priced less than $150, it would do pretty well selling millions in the first year. If PSP is $300 it would do ok not grea in Japan then fall off quickly after all the early adopters has one.

Ingenu said:
Couldn't decide to buy a new GBA-SP to replace my GBA...
DS comes right, with GBA compatiblity and backlite screen, I'll save money :)

I haven't purchased a handheld system since the original gameboy, however this DS looks might cool. Depending on the games (that metroid prime game on, is that for real?) I could have a new "slow work day" companion.

PlanetGamecube said:
EBWorld and Gamestop websites list tentative DS price and shipping date.

Both EBWorld.com and Gamestop.com have added the Nintendo DS to their product lists. They currently have the system listed at a price of $199.99 with a ship date of 11/29/2004. Games are currently listed at $49.99, the same price as most new GameCube titles.

Both sites offer the disclaimer that "these prices and dates are subject to change", but early speculation suggests that the price will indeed land somewhere in the $150-$200 range. As for the release date, Nintendo itself has stated that the DS will be available by the end of 2004.

Jon says: While it is a little high, I think the DS could sell at this price point. Not as well as it would sell at $149.99, mind you, but it would sell. Still, I think $149.99 is the sweet spot for the mass market.

The $49.99 price for the games will definitely not stick. There's no way gamers will pay the same amount of money for a DS game that they would for a GameCube game. I expect DS games to be in the $34.99-$39.99 range, right in between GBA and GameCube games price-wise.

The release date is clearly a ballpark figure telling us, "this product will be released by the end of November 2004". The DS will certainly be launched before Thanksgiving, the biggest American shopping day of the year.

hupfinsgack said:
The DS will certainly be launched before Thanksgiving, the biggest American shopping day of the year.
Hmm i though that was the holiday season (christmas) :? Why are people going shopping, i though it's turkey and family time! :D

thop said:
hupfinsgack said:
The DS will certainly be launched before Thanksgiving, the biggest American shopping day of the year.
Hmm i though that was the holiday season (christmas) :? Why are people going shopping, i though it's turkey and family time! :D

black friday is the biggest shopping day of the year. Or the top 3 and its the day after thanksgiving. If you work retail you want to make sure you get a serious illness and have to be in the hospital that day.

back in 99 when i worked gamestop that year we more than doubled our best day that year . It was just crazy

4 months later...

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16216

Since this topic must has been locked down because there were another thread about it... Made by me... Yeah, i completely forget about it. :?

I'll answer here

Teasy said:
To be honest I'm not even sure why this has even been posted as a new thread. EBGames ect have been listing DS for a while now and we've already had threads reporting this stuff...

The "why" of the new thread is answered. :?
The reason for the thread was this CVG news:

www.computerandvideogames.com

Also reported by www.gamekult.com

Guden Oden said:
Surely you must realize by now 99% of the time these companies just stick some date on their websites so all the clueless people out there won't bug them for a release date, or if they still get bugged, have an answer to give in return.
Yeah, i know, and all the people that preordered Duke Nukem Forever are here to testify that, as living* proofs! :LOL:

Anyway a rumor is a rumor, that it comes from Walmart, Gamespot or whatever, doesn't change much the equation.
And Price rumors coming from 3 of the biggest videogames retailers out there, about a product supposed to be released in less than 3 month, might be somehow interresting... IMO. :D

(*Not sure about the "living"...)

Theres a fact that points at a 150$ price tag, recent GBAsp price drop to 80$ wich is bit more than half the 150$ price tag, that seems a very reasonable price to differentiate GBAsp over DS.

With DS at 200$ price tag, Nintendo wouldnt have bothered droping GBAsp, it make no sense.

IMO that tells clearly that DS will lauch around 150$, and my bet is that price exactly [well 149$...]

Back