The Crossing is coming to X360

Arcane studios have posted job aplication for porting the Crossing to X360

As an Xbox360 programmer in Arkane Studios, you will handle porting, maintaining, and optimizing the codebase for the Xbox 360 version of the game, developed on the Valve’s Source Engine

http://www.arkane-studios.com/en/offre.php?rho_id=18

The game seems rather interesting and the developers are talented based on their previous game Dark Messiah, so I'm looking forward to this. The main idea is to take best of multiplayer and singleplayer and mix them up in one game. Let's see what becomes of it.

Further information and a video is here
http://www.arkane-studios.com/en/the-crossing-news.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe if I post the 1up preview I'll get one reply to my thread for crying out loud!

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.offset=0&cId=3156951

CROSS-PLAY UNCROSSED

Solo-, mutli-, cross-play--confused? The Crossing's untried modes aren't all complexity all the time. In the simplest sense, story missions are single-player shooting with an exception: naturally intelligent, people opponents take the place of A.I., if and when you want. So-called skirmish maps, on the other hand, are harder to wrap your head around in that their context and conventions kaleidoscope to accommodate the kinds of players playing. In milquetoast multiplayer mode, skirmishes pit two more or less symmetrical parties against one another, much like Counter-Strike or Day of Defeat. So far, fine. However, The Crossing also iterates on and integrates skirmishes into its solo/co-op content, and here's where the intricacy occurs.

According to Colantonio, "Once one story mission--in a campaign's cycle of story and skirmish maps--is complete, our servers select an appropriate match (according to criteria including difficulty setting, ping, language preference, and so on) and place story players in the queue for applicable skirmish maps." Conversely, the system explains to skirmishers that story players (or Elite soldiers) are now entering the next round--in which case, the server may (or may not) reassign specific skirmisher roles according to narrative need. For instance, it's possible that the skirmishers, who were competing as cops and thugs in two teams of 10, become one 20-man IBAT brigade charged with preventing the pair of Elites from accessing a control center. Meanwhile, another map might maintain two skirmisher teams: one to assist the Elites, one to assault them.

I can't be the only one interested in this game, can I?

One reply? Done.

... are we done here?

Alright, I kid. Since I first read about it, I just totally forgot all the details. Lemme' go back and read about it again (edit forthcoming).

Congrats on the reply, btw.

Edit: Apparently I haven't forgotten as much as I thought I had. I'm reminded of how interested I was in whether they would be able to properly balance such a game, and how they would do it. Some of the how seems to be answered in that preview linked up there. It is a very interesting concept, very ambitious. I suppose I end up with the same thoughts as I have before: I'm not sure what to really think until I see something more substantial, more tangible than has been released so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm cautiously optimistic.

But these guys always seem to over promise and under deliver. With both Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah you could tell they were trying hard to do break the mold. They just don't seem to be able to execute their ideas well at all.

I have long waited for someone to try a single player game that incorporated multiplayer aspects (like the enemies being actual humans). Very difficult to impliment in a fun way, but I like the fact people are looking at it :D I know a Matrix like game it would be totally cool to be a Mr. Smith. Sure I might get trashed by Neo (the SP star) but I can come right back :devilish:

There was a story on The Crossing in a Games for Windows issue not to long ago and I came away thinking: This is nothing new, its objective based multiplayer.

I still get this feeling, and while it might have a story or progression I really just do not get the feeling some truly new is here.

Back