The Callisto Protocol [PS, XB, PC]

Imo the problem is easy to understand. The base version was PS5. The publisher wanted the game to release before Christmas and before Dead Space Remake.

This is not true with patch but from a commercial perspective this is a huge problem.
this game managed to create a lot of expectations, even from people who aren't into Dead Space games -like me, although I played them via EA Play-. What happened is just going to make Dead Space more appealing to people who first knew about this kind of setting through The Callisto Protocol but may be held back due to bad reputation.

I guess there may still be other issues though. From what I've heard the RT is very poorly optimised on PC, there is that issue with the orange smoke, and the menu options require restart after changing.

Fix all those and maybe we'll get a smile back on Alex's face!

I've only just started playing and I have to admit the PS5 version is a definite looker. I'm assuming this is the top end of what we could expect from UE4 now?

a review from one of my favourite youtubers who ONLY reviews games after 100% completion.

While I can't say for sure, I honestly doubt that it was "patching some files".. I sincerely think they spend the past couple of days playing the hell out of the game building up a complete PSO cache.. and then patched it in.

I think they maybe forgot to build a cache for the game fullstop for the shipping build. Because the way the game launched, it was simply unacceptable. Literally every scene every new thing was stutter. Like there was no cache at all.

If they had those files already and simply forgot to integrate them, I think the turn-aournd would have been complete the first patch. Instead the first patch fixed SOME of the stutters.. but didn't have nearly enough coverage. So that's why I think they went through and built a new fresh cache.

Anyways.... this is how it should have been...

20221206195333-1.jpg

20221206200256-1.jpg

That is with a completely deleted shader cache.

It's now rock solid.
So does the new patch force a shader compilation step before you run the game or is Steam downloading pre-cached shaders?

Someone somewhere says that Sony was bankrolling them. So it made sense that management put ps version with higher polish priority, within the time constrains they got

I think this is a interesting discussion to have because it seems like it's a matter of perspective regarding this issue with respect to multiplatform games and release dates, and what is "fair" or "right."

To me there seems to be that there is no actual win/win scenario here. Practically speaking there is no such thing as truly neutral/unbiased way to actually allocate priority and development resources. Either some platforms will naturally be worse off, or some will be have to be artificially held back to maintain the optics of parity.

Just in terms of release dates, let's look at the concept of simultaneous release dates vs. staggered release dates (and essentially limited exclusivity). The reality is one platform is going to be ready before the other, the idea of all platforms naturally being ready near the same time is just a fantasy. So what do you do? Hold back the ready platform and basically delay it for no real reason to maintain parity? Release in state in which other platforms might have issues? Staggered release dates?

Of course from the end user perspective you will tend to lean towards the bias of your platform of choice, but from the developer perspective you're ultimately going to alienate at least one group of users (well unless you fool them).

Back