Marvel's Blade - [XB, PC, XGP]

You can announce exclusivity to platforms without announcing consoles. We’ve seen it many times, we’ve also seen a long trend of behaviour where if MS doesn’t immediately announce exclusivity (once the title is announced) it is likely not fully exclusive.
we've also seen games announced with no platforms before like Starfield and Elder scrolls.

If you announce it's coming to the xbox platform many will assume it will be on the series consoles and if it gets reported that way it will be very difficult to announce later on that its only next gen xbox consoles.

We will just have to wait and see what happens. Perhaps we will hear more during the e3 time frame

BTW - something that you don't get by just looking at the trailer.

This should be timestamped at 2:21:48, so go there if it doesn't automatically go there when you click the video.

That's the Marvel and Akane Lyon guys talking a bit about the team-up for Blade.

One quote from the Marvel guy referencing Arkane Lyon...

And one quote from the Arkane Lyon guy after talking about where they wanted to go after Dishonored and Deathloop, so they went to Marvel with an idea for Blade...

So, if you're cynical that's all just PR. But I have a hard time believing that Arkane Lyon would choose to do anything bland or formulaic.

Regards,
SB
Great news.

I wonder if the reason that Microsoft have clarified whether Blade is Xbox exclusive is because they are in talks with Marvel. I don't think Marvel are in anywhere near as powerful a situation as they were back when Insomniac began development of Spider-Man (2015), superhero and MCU fatigue is massive. I'm out of the TV and movies side.

I'm super interested to see what Arkane can do with this IP, and I really hope it's not just mostly all fighting. This team are great at developing interesting, balanced mechanics that give the player gameplay options so I'm optimistic. Similar to Wolverine, another CQC-focussed character where you wonder what they are going to keep the gameplay interesting and diverse.

I agree with you but if my post give that impression i wasn't clear enought (or my english is too bad :p)
My fear is more the context of production could remove in huge part immersive sim from the equation than the capability of it to be succesfull if present.
No I got you, I'm just making the (into the void) point that there's no reason to take out any immersive sim elements to make it more 'mainstream' friendly. The goal should be to let these developers do what they do best and show the world how good these sorts of games are. This is a perfect opportunity for that.

I understand your fears and they aren't unfounded, I just think it would be a giant mistake. But then again, this is Microsoft now. They are great at shooting themselves in the foot with anything they touch.

I understand your fears and they aren't unfounded, I just think it would be a giant mistake. But then again, this is Microsoft now. They are great at shooting themselves in the foot with anything they touch.
Not true really. I'm sorry, but I can't let that one go. MS have had some trouble getting 9/10s out the door, but they've done a good job lately with a lot of 8.5ish games like Gears Tactics, Ori, Flight Sim, Halo: I, Forza games, Sea of Thieves content, Psychonauts 2, Starfield, Grounded, Pentiment, Gears 5 Hivebusters, Age of Empires IV.

It might not be a lineup that excites everyone, but very solid nonetheless. After all, MS took home more VGA awards than Sony did this year.

Not true really. I'm sorry, but I can't let that one go. MS have had some trouble getting 9/10s out the door, but they've done a good job lately with a lot of 8.5ish games like Gears Tactics, Ori, Flight Sim, Halo: I, Forza games, Sea of Thieves content, Psychonauts 2, Starfield, Grounded, Pentiment, Gears 5 Hivebusters, Age of Empires IV.

It might not be a lineup that excites everyone, but very solid nonetheless. After all, MS took home more VGA awards than Sony did this year.
I mean sony has trouble getting 9/10s out the door also. The majority of their games are in the 80s metacritic wise. It's just what it is

Yeah, as I’m beginning to learn from this forum, Women suck!

Obviously they dont, and very few people really claim that.

But unfortunatelly, film projects that go out of their way to preach representation from a very narrow modern progressive lense, the narrarive ends up suffering. Hitting their token quotas takes priority over making a solid story, and their desperarion to make said token characters spotless perfect characters ends up making them two-dimentional and unrelatable.

I rarely watch pop films such as marvel, star wars and whatnot, but I got the gist of that from second hand criticism. Here is a woman one explaining why she dislakes mothern films that make it a point to have the now-stereotypical "strong female character"

But your answer that inplies "people just hate women" is in line with what Disney tells themselves and the press. Its a way to put one's head in a whole in the sand and not be hones about what really is happening. One that is also arrogant and sanctimonious while at it.

For these high profile films with popular franchises to bomb only because of sexism, the vast majority of filmgoers (half of which are women, by the way) would have to be staunch misogynists... Probably believing that makes you feel special, but its disconnected from reality.

This constant paranoia and accusations that prejudice and hate are lurking at every corner of society and the sollution is calling it out in mediatic hissy-fits is insulting to society and has becone so over-played that most people find it boring.

Last edited:
The great thing about Arkane Lyon is that they are just going to make the game they want to make and skin it as whatever IP license they have. They stated in the past they wanted to make a System Shock game when they were contracted to make Prey, so they just made their version of a System Shock game and called it Prey. They did the same with Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, where they wanted to make Arx Fatalis 2, but got a contract to make a Might and Magic game, so they made Arx Fatalis 2. So I'm confident they are going to make the game they want with a Blade coat of paint on it. Perhaps it will be Redfall 2, but Blade.

Lyon getting to making a good single player vampire immersive sim would be a bit of a slap in the face to Austin. :)
I actually liked Redfall. I don't think it stands up to other Arkane games, but I still found it fun enough. I know it has multiplayer, but it's "friends only" matchmaking that require you to squad up and then start a game prevented me from ever trying it.

Ori isn't a Microsoft developed game.

Flight Sim is barely a game at all, much less recognized by much of the mainstream gaming world.

Halo Infinite was a pretty big bomb ultimately, leading to massive management and strategy overhauls at 343.

Forza Horizon has been the one shining beacon for Xbox 1st party, though even that is a series people are starting to tire of in terms of them largely being Ubisoft-esque in their minimal evolution per release.

Psychonauts 2 was in development before Microsoft ever bought them.

Starfield was in development before Microsoft ever bought them(and has definitely not had the giant curb stomp they were hoping for anyways).

Pentiment is basically an indie game.

I'm not arguing that Microsoft never has anything, I'm not some Xbox hater whatsoever, but they've undeniably been hugely disappointing in terms of 1st party stuff for a full decade now, dating back to the late X360 era. I dont see how this is deniable.

You said anything "MS touched". All of those games were touched by MS, so my argument is still quite valid. MS is doing a good job of getting good games onto their Xbox platform. You don't like those and it's fine, but they all have mid-80s review scores, so my disagreement with your comment still stands. MS published games > than Sony published games this generation IMO. It's close, but I'd rather have the games I listed instead of the PS4 remakes + Spider Man 2, GT7, HFW, and GoW:R. Other people may have different opinions, but metacritic says that MS 1st party is about an 84 and Sony is about an 87, so not much different really.

You said anything "MS touched". All of those games were touched by MS, so my argument is still quite valid. MS is doing a good job of getting good games onto their Xbox platform.
And arguably, this is all that matters. Whether Microsoft are developing their own games, funding third parties through traditional publisher relationship, or just securing the console exclusivity with bags of money, the games on the platform are what matters to gamers.

Blade is a good character that's well suited to arcade video games. It can be a shooter, melee masher, a horror game, a narrative game and can tie in other Marvel stuff. There's no reason a blade game couldn't be a big success. Microsoft should not worry about selling consoles and just make sure the game itself is as profitable as possible by making it multi-platform. It'll be better for their studios and better for gamers.

Back