The Callisto Protocol [PS, XB, PC]

It's not that bad, but expecting some PC games to be a bit rough on arrival is probably a more realistic expectation. And believe me, plenty of games arrive on console a "little hot" in terms of performance!

Ship-today-fix-tomorrow has become the norm - with some exceptions. :yep2:
It's not acceptable.

We need to demand, and expect better.

To any PC players, any preference between mouse & keyboard vs a controller for this game? I'm using M+K, but the non conventional controls are making me think I should switch to a controller?

It's not that bad, but expecting some PC games to be a bit rough on arrival is probably a more realistic expectation. And believe me, plenty of games arrive on console a "little hot" in terms of performance!

Ship-today-fix-tomorrow has become the norm - with some exceptions. :yep2:

Indeed. Unfortunately the games coming in hot happens everywhere.

Going off what I hear from game reviewers, most of the games can send out PC Review Codes days if not weeks earlier than Console Review codes. Part of that is the PC is their lead platform. However a good part of that is also the consoles, usually, have stricter Quality Assurance or Patch Revision controls put in place. On the PC they can more readily push out a patch. This delay in console version availability leads some reviewers to play on PC early and then do a quick run through the console edition as soon as it's available to make sure it's not broken. Sometimes it's as few as 1 day before embargo lifted.

To any PC players, any preference between mouse & keyboard vs a controller for this game? I'm using M+K, but the non conventional controls are making me think I should switch to a controller?

M/KB is better for pretty much every possible action in this game. Besides the usual stuff thats better in any game ever with free camera controls where you can turn, react, aim, track enemies better than with a stick, in this particular game, the way the dodge mechanic is made is also better on keyboard. You dodge left and right by pressing A and D. There's no stick traveling or not pressing it hard enough. You will always properly press the keys and do the intended action. It almost feels made for m/kb with the ease of it.

It doesnt matter if the designers thought more about a controller, because m/kb can replicate nearly everything a pad does, but better in every way. Just remember to turn off the two smoothing options in the controls menu for mouse, which iare turned on by default for some reason

Just remember to turn off the two smoothing options in the controls menu for mouse, which iare turned on by default for some reason

I sometimes wonder if mouse smoothing is just there to try to make the mouse feel like the analog sticks on a controller. Sort of numb and rubbery. IE - starts off with low sensitivity to allow for greater precision then ramps up sensitivity until it gets to a point where the camera moves more quickly. Sort of like analog sticks that have to start off with low sensitivity/movement near center and then high sensitivity/movement when at the edge.

While controllers definitely need something like that, it's just off-putting on a mouse where the user is always in direct control of exactly how much sensitivity they want with as much fine grained control as they want and can instantly switch between small movements and large movements (and anything in between) with a mouse virtually instantly.

So, I can only imagine it's there to make console players who are new to PC feel more comfortable using a mouse (IE - have it replicate how they experience games with controller as much as possible).

Regards,
SB

I sometimes wonder if mouse smoothing is just there to try to make the mouse feel like the analog sticks on a controller. Sort of numb and rubbery. IE - starts off with low sensitivity to allow for greater precision then ramps up sensitivity until it gets to a point where the camera moves more quickly. Sort of like analog sticks that have to start off with low sensitivity/movement near center and then high sensitivity/movement when at the edge.

While controllers definitely need something like that, it's just off-putting on a mouse where the user is always in direct control of exactly how much sensitivity they want with as much fine grained control as they want and can instantly switch between small movements and large movements (and anything in between) with a mouse virtually instantly.

So, I can only imagine it's there to make console players who are new to PC feel more comfortable using a mouse (IE - have it replicate how they experience games with controller as much as possible).

Regards,
SB

Battlefield (like when aiming in a tank) did that better. By making the camera moves 1:1 but the aiming moves at slower speed.

Capable of what?
Ray traced reflections. I could have sworn this wasn't a bug, just an API difference which made it possible on PS5 and not Xbox.

(I'm being sarcastic BTW.. NXGamer apparently said as much in a tweet)

Ray traced reflections. I could have sworn this wasn't a bug, just an API difference which made it possible on PS5 and not Xbox.

(I'm being sarcastic BTW.. NXGamer apparently said as much in a tweet)

Perhaps let wait to see the effects of the incorporation. Will minimized resolution be necessary? Will be interesting.

What's the actual install sizes for this on each platform?

I don't have the game, so I wasn't going to say anything. But, since nobody else responded to you, here's the only answer I have:

callist.jpg

PS5 43.5GB
XSX 44.5GB

This is from Open Surprise the youtuber who does all the loading times comparison videos.
No word on if XSS is the same. And, obviously, this information doesn't take into account any patches beyond those listed above.

Correction: XSS is also 44.5GB. Source

Great to hear it's coming, but this pretty much confirms the game was rushed out of the door before it was ready. They knew about the issues on XSX RT reflections and so deliberately withheld the feature.

That's a very, very poor management attitude (I doubt the engineers were happy about that).
Someone somewhere says that Sony was bankrolling them. So it made sense that management put ps version with higher polish priority, within the time constrains they got

Someone somewhere says that Sony was bankrolling them. So it made sense that management put ps version with higher polish priority, within the time constrains they got
It just makes sense in general, as lets face it, between the two consoles, games tend to sell more on Playstation.

Sony is way out ahead which means that MS has to fight that much harder. They will undoubtedly pay more for any exclusivity offers than Sony would have to, they'd have to pay more to have studios prioritize their hardware and APIs during development, they'll have to pay more for marketing.. and so on and so forth.

That stuff is natural.. at least IMO.

What's not natural (or shouldn't become normal) are things releasing in a broken state on other hardware due to any of the above. It's one thing to ensure the best possible experience for your own platform, but it's another thing altogether when that priority leads to not fulfilling the requirements you've set out on other platforms.

It just makes sense in general, as lets face it, between the two consoles, games tend to sell more on Playstation.

Sony is way out ahead which means that MS has to fight that much harder. They will undoubtedly pay more for any exclusivity offers than Sony would have to, they'd have to pay more to have studios prioritize their hardware and APIs during development, they'll have to pay more for marketing.. and so on and so forth.

That stuff is natural.. at least IMO.

What's not natural (or shouldn't become normal) are things releasing in a broken state on other hardware due to any of the above. It's one thing to ensure the best possible experience for your own platform, but it's another thing altogether when that priority leads to not fulfilling the requirements you've set out on other platforms.
Yes it should not be a normal thing. But unfortunately Even nintendo has been infected with release now, patch later (Pokémon)

It's not acceptable. We need to demand, and expect better.

If gamers stopped pre-ordering games before they were reviewed and known to to good, a lot less poorly-optimised games would be released. You may want to discuss this with the person in your mirror.

Pokemon just sold 10 million. clearly devs are more keen to deal with issues after because higher up at a company care about strict deadlines rather than full polishing

Back