Marvel's Blade - [XB, PC, XGP]

Xbox and PC should be a given, may or may not appear on PlayStation. Marvel may or may not insist on multiplatform.

Arkane Studios Lyon. The good one. Interested to see what they do as I loved Dishonored and Blade is an interesting Marvel character.

Regards,
SB

windows central is reporting it as exclusive to the xbox platforms

Blade is pretty much a franchise in decline. The original made 130m ww , blade 2 155m ww , blade trinity made 135m ww. The last movie was in 2004 so almost 20 years ago. The reboot from disney is rumored to be halted due to the script placing 3 females as the lead with blade being more in a back seat role. It makes sense as the first multi female lead marvel movie just opened to the smallest opening weekend ever for a disney marvel movie and Disney has already announced they wont report box office numbers for it as its basically dead https://www.newsweek.com/disney-mar...tle," Disney announced on Sunday, per Variety.

So my guess is that MS got the liscense for a song and a dance and both Disney and Marvel are banking on game pass to help making this a thing. The movie was originally supposed to release in 2025 but who knows it could be pushed closer to the launch of this game since arkane is saying work has only just started.

This could actually come out before the movie which remains in development hell. It'll be interesting to see what Arcane (the good one) come up with!

Blade is pretty much a franchise in decline

Doesn't matter too much. Marvel characters in a good game with good marketing should do the numbers. It's not as if Prey/Dishonoured really did the numbers that Bethesda wanted.

Gadget based vampire fighting sounds like a great fit for a game and the kind of games that Arkane make.

Blade is pretty much a franchise in decline. The original made 130m ww , blade 2 155m ww , blade trinity made 135m ww. The last movie was in 2004 so almost 20 years ago. The reboot from disney is rumored to be halted due to the script placing 3 females as the lead with blade being more in a back seat role. It makes sense as the first multi female lead marvel movie just opened to the smallest opening weekend ever for a disney marvel movie and Disney has already announced they wont report box office numbers for it as its basically dead https://www.newsweek.com/disney-marvels-global-box-office-1849207#:~:text=The Mouse House, which owns Marvel studios, announced,this title," Disney announced on Sunday, per Variety.

So my guess is that MS got the liscense for a song and a dance and both Disney and Marvel are banking on game pass to help making this a thing. The movie was originally supposed to release in 2025 but who knows it could be pushed closer to the launch of this game since arkane is saying work has only just started.
Very unfortunate Disney has decided to push social politics over making enjoyable movies. Blade is such a good character.

I fear Marvel is a bad news and arkhane could have to produce another aaa that is mainly mainstream attraction park game...
There are already other studios doing that and if it is at the cost of immersive sim (or less of it) it would be a shame because this is more precious and rare for this media in my opinion

Arkane Studios Lyon. The good one.
Both Arkane studios have done fantastic games, I have no idea what you're talking about.

That said, I'm unbelievably tired of superhero stuff. So this is still something of a disappointment from me. All I want is another original, single player, dedicated immersive sim.

I fear Marvel is a bad news and arkhane could have to produce another aaa that is mainly mainstream attraction park game...
If Dark Souls and Baldur's Gate and Elder Scrolls can have mainstream popularity, I really dont understand why an immersive sim cant. The genre name almost belies its real nature, which is really just a first person action-adventure game with RPG elements and decent player freedom. There's no reason such a concept should be inherently niche. They're not especially complicated, they're not especially difficult, they're not on any extreme ends of anything, and there's studios that can make them with AAA presentation levels.

Doesn't matter too much. Marvel characters in a good game with good marketing should do the numbers. It's not as if Prey/Dishonoured really did the numbers that Bethesda wanted.

Gadget based vampire fighting sounds like a great fit for a game and the kind of games that Arkane make.
What is that based on? How many lesser known marvel characters are out there pushing spider-man 2 numbers ? THe 3 blade movies combined made half of what the amazing spiderman 2 made at the box office and that was considered a bomb that Sony had to quickly move on from.

Just look at the run that Spider-man has had. The movies have done amazingly since the 2000s he has been in some of the biggest grossing marvel movies of the last decade like End Game. But where is blade ? blade is in zero of those movies. Blade has a lower profile right now than Agatha from Wanda Vision

Very unfortunate Disney has decided to push social politics over making enjoyable movies. Blade is such a good character.
Well hopefully they are making changes and disney gets on a better path of content
Yeah, as I’m beginning to learn from this forum, Women suck!
There is nothing wrong with female lead movies. There are plenty of amazing ones out there. The problem is when you create female lead movies in male dominated genres that heavily cater to a niche of the female market with lead women that aren't likeable and dislike their own audience. The first movie had the luxury of being sandwiched between infinity war and end game and marvel pushed that people needed to see it for end game. But people found out it was a bad movie with a bad lead actress. Miss Marvel is a failed comic book character who is basically a fan fick self insert from the creator and the comic itself has been canceled and rebooted multiple times due to bad sales. The Disney plus series was also poorly received. The third lead was a side character in wandavision that got powers by walking foward through a magic field. There is very little character building for her and no one really knows their power.

Marvel/Disney needs to either make more likeable characters or put the breaks on replacing all the characters in the universe with female characters.

The new Mad max movie based on Charlieze Theron's character looks really good. That was a female character done really well who was more than just a 2 dimensional women are amazing character. Perhaps disney should look at something like that

More than likely

Blade is pretty much a franchise in decline. The original made 130m ww , blade 2 155m ww , blade trinity made 135m ww. The last movie was in 2004 so almost 20 years ago. The reboot from disney is rumored to be halted due to the script placing 3 females as the lead with blade being more in a back seat role. It makes sense as the first multi female lead marvel movie just opened to the smallest opening weekend ever for a disney marvel movie and Disney has already announced they wont report box office numbers for it as its basically dead https://www.newsweek.com/disney-marvels-global-box-office-1849207#:~:text=The Mouse House, which owns Marvel studios, announced,this title," Disney announced on Sunday, per Variety.

image.png

On the one hand, it'd be in keeping with SM on PS. OTOH it doesn't make sense to keep neutral IP platform exclusive any more unless I guess significant amounts of money trades hands. SM was a simple starter for Marvel seeking out new partners in the post Activision era. Now, given popularity of the Marvel universe, multiplatform is the only platform that makes obvious economic sense.

On the one hand, it'd be in keeping with SM on PS. OTOH it doesn't make sense to keep neutral IP platform exclusive any more unless I guess significant amounts of money trades hands. SM was a simple starter for Marvel seeking out new partners in the post Activision era. Now, given popularity of the Marvel universe, multiplatform is the only platform that makes obvious economic sense.
And the obvious platform size differences… and exclusivity is the easiest thing to announce. The only time MS has ever been hung up on announcing exclusivity, is really because it wasn’t fully exclusive.

If Dark Souls and Baldur's Gate and Elder Scrolls can have mainstream popularity, I really dont understand why an immersive sim cant. The genre name almost belies its real nature, which is really just a first person action-adventure game with RPG elements and decent player freedom. There's no reason such a concept should be inherently niche. They're not especially complicated, they're not especially difficult, they're not on any extreme ends of anything, and there's studios that can make them with AAA presentation levels.
I agree with you but if my post give that impression i wasn't clear enought (or my english is too bad :p)
My fear is more the context of production could remove in huge part immersive sim from the equation than the capability of it to be succesfull if present.

Fairly confident it’s not exclusive.

And the obvious platform size differences… and exclusivity is the easiest thing to announce. The only time MS has ever been hung up on announcing exclusivity, is really because it wasn’t fully exclusive.

Could simply come down to Marvel not wanting platforms to be announced yet. They are saying the game has just started development so it might not even be for the xbox series consoles

Dev start 2023 + 4 years is 2027 + 5 years is 2028. That be right in time for a new console gen

I agree with you but if my post give that impression i wasn't clear enought (or my english is too bad :p)
My fear is more the context of production could remove in huge part immersive sim from the equation than the capability of it to be succesfull if present.

During the announcement the Marvel rep mentioned that they absolutely loved Dishonored and implied that Blade would be a Dishonored style game. The same went for the Akane Lyons rep. I'd be really surprised if this was just a simple Action spectacle game like Spider-Man.

Regards,
SB

Could simply come down to Marvel not wanting platforms to be announced yet. They are saying the game has just started development so it might not even be for the xbox series consoles

Dev start 2023 + 4 years is 2027 + 5 years is 2028. That be right in time for a new console gen
You can announce exclusivity to platforms without announcing consoles. We’ve seen it many times, we’ve also seen a long trend of behaviour where if MS doesn’t immediately announce exclusivity (once the title is announced) it is likely not fully exclusive.

Last edited:
BTW - something that you don't get by just looking at the trailer.

This should be timestamped at 2:21:48, so go there if it doesn't automatically go there when you click the video.

That's the Marvel and Akane Lyon guys talking a bit about the team-up for Blade.

One quote from the Marvel guy referencing Arkane Lyon...

We are huge fans not only because of the story rich games with innovative gameplay but because of the authentic passion.

And one quote from the Arkane Lyon guy after talking about where they wanted to go after Dishonored and Deathloop, so they went to Marvel with an idea for Blade...

When we had chats with Marvel, we said, "OK, let's really challenge them. Let's present a wider take on the superhero we both love."

So, if you're cynical that's all just PR. But I have a hard time believing that Arkane Lyon would choose to do anything bland or formulaic.

Regards,
SB

Back