The Anti-Gay Phone Company

That HAS to be a prank call! How does she keep from breaking into manical laughter?

"...like the fist of god we will smash them!", "exactly.".

soylent said:
That HAS to be a prank call! How does she keep from breaking into manical laughter?

"...like the fist of god we will smash them!", "exactly.".
Why would the operator laugh, it's her job to be submissive.
/snarky stoicly studdified voice

DudeMiester said:

What's wrong with all that?
sad-smiley-028.gif

Mr. Mirman coaxes out the absurdity of the script, but he's no left-wing activist with an axe to grind. Born in Russia, he explains, "My problem isn't with people of faith having certain convictions and wanting their money to support those convictions; it's with a phone company surreptitiously exploiting people's beliefs and fears for revenue. To have a nonprofit call people on your behalf and imply that MCI makes money from the rape of children and that God hates your competitors, I think, is inappropriate."

That's certainly one word for it. A call to United American Technologies shed further light on the fund-raising scheme. I spoke to Carl Thomspon, a senior consultant whose son-in-law Tom Anderson is CEO of the year-old company. He told me that 2,000 people a month were switching as a result of the calls and was forthright in admitting that "our main thing is calling against the gay and lesbian lifestyle." "We're not concerned about offending people who don't agree with us on these issues," he said.

More complicated was the arrangement he described with the "Faith Family and Freedom" 527 organization that had been placing the calls. The fund was created and maintained by the 33-year-old Republican floor leader of the Oklahoma House of Representatives, Lance Cargill. The funding arrangement, as both men described it, was that a percentage of the profits from each caller who switched would be directed back into the 527's coffers to pay for conservative political campaigns. This is a hate-speech-fueled food chain between a company professing faith and a political action fund.

Now THAT is slimey.

Back