The Annual E3 Nintendo press conference thread, 2016 edition

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
Here's the official thread for discussing the Nintendo press conference at this year's E3. Oh wait, they still wont have a press conference or even a direct presentation.

Instead they will have their Nintendo Digital Event video, erm it's now called Tree House Live. So they're taking their prompts from PeeWee Herman?

2016-06-14 09:00 PST
Nintendo Stream: http://e3.nintendo.com/

It's in less than an hour, but we already know it's only the Zelda-That-Will-Look-Better-On-The-NX title but shown on Wii U hardware and Pokemon Orange+Green (or whatever 2-color combo they came up with), right?

With all the >4 TFLOPs Scorpio and Neo news coming up, I can't help but feel that Nintendo's E3 with no new console to show and zero 3rd party titles will be particularly depressing this year.

Miyamoto: well... we will have a new consolle, at some point
Kimishima: sure, the geeks assured me that we will have it
Miyamoto: only at the moment we can't show you
Kimishima: but will be powerfull!
Miyamoto: ohhh really really powerfull!
Kimishima: at least 50% more powerfull than wiiU
Miyamoto: at least! maybe even 60%!

Oh, that is hilarious. :rolleyes:

Don't quit your day jobs, guys!
(Btw, we know it won't be a full 50% more powerful... That would just be too much for Nintendo to handle!)

Miyamoto: well... we will have a new consolle, at some point
Kimishima: sure, the geeks assured me that we will have it
Miyamoto: only at the moment we can't show you
Kimishima: but will be powerfull!
Miyamoto: at least! maybe even 60%!

Was this an actual convesation that took place in the presentation?
That would make the Neo about 10x more powerful than the NX. Even more so with Scorpio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gameplay trailer for Zelda:

This would look spectacular if it was a mobile title. For large screens there are way too many jaggies IMO. Lack of anisotropic filtering really hurts the eyes on some scenes.

Zelda's inventory opens in the big screen. Have they discarded the use of the second screen in other titles?

Watching the gameplay... Man nintendo is dead to me. They've been developing this thing for years and it looka like an amateur indie title. All nintendo staff must live under a rock. I just can't comprehend any other way in which they can aimnfor such a low quality bar.

I wouldn't say "amateur indie" because there are obviously a number of worthy assets in the demo, at least regarding animations, that wouldn't be present in an indie title.
In ~2007-2010 this would have been a blast, but in 2017 everyone has made open-world RPGs with moving grass and rather long viewranges.
The rendering resolution is what hurts the visuals the most IMO (perhaps it's below 720p?), which is why I said it would have been a great looking game for a 4-5" handheld, but not a big screen in the second half of this decade.

Maybe if you just play it in the tablet controller and pretend it's a handheld game it'll hurt less.

So... Link kills or abuse animals, set woods on fire when he doesn't destroy them, kill wood's inhabitabitants in the most coward way...
It's a shadow of the colossus ripoff?
At the end are we supposed to kill Link using Ganodorf?

Some 10 years ago that Zelda open world would have been impressive.
Now we've had Dragon Age Inquisition, Witcher 3, Xenoblade Chronicles... even Skyrim. All have more impressive worlds and deeper gameplay and stories.
Just putting a Zelda name on it isn't enough. Still, it'll likely be a fun title and a definite buy for me. Hopefully the NX will be something special, I'd hate to see Nintendo give up the home consoles.

I have the hunch nintendo only felt like making a sand-box 3d zelda game was a good idea because of what Kojima was doing with MGSV and Square Enix with their next FF. It feels like many devs at nintendo are still living under the belief most western games are not even worth knowing about. Having Zelda Breath of the Old at the same e3 as Horizon Zero Down is quite depressing.

I guess I must be odd man out. I finally got to watch the Zelda stuff from the Nintendo conference and I think it looks amazing. Especially considering the hardware it has to run on. As AINets mentioned it looks like a painting. Except you can play in it and it's animated.

I'm certainly more interested in this than I am Horizon Zero Dawn despite it's obviously more technically accomplished graphics. It's obviously not as technically impressive, but it suits me better as a more adventurous RPG type of game. Not to mention the main character of Horizon Zero Dawn has the same annoying characteristics as the character from Scalebound.

I dunno maybe people are so jaded that anything Nintendo = bad. But I think it looks gorgeous in it's own way. Then again, considering that 90% of the games I play now days aren't AAA graphics power houses because I value gameplay far more than I value graphics when actually playing a game, I guess I'm looking at it with different eyes than many of the users of this forum.

Regards,
SB

Zelda looks incredible to me. Love the art style would love to play this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't played any of the Zelda games since the first one, so after watching that trailer I have some questions...
Can you climb anywhere?
Can you cut down any tree?
Can you ride any horse?
Can you set any grassland on fire?

Or are these all essentially scripted sequences that you have to do once you get to that particular point in the game?

From what I saw, in this game you can't cut the grass to get those not-really-worth-the-time-but-surprisingly-satisfying rupees.

All that stuff is new to this game.

Well, I sort of figured that. What I meant is that people more familiar with Nintendo games, do they think that this demo shows the level of freedom to do those things anywhere like in a GTA game or do they think those are probably just specifically triggered events?

Back