The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they have to engage in a price war for an extended period of time with AMD is this even going to create setbacks in Intels medium-long term strategies? Does this even effect the capital they need to break into the mobile market (I guess now with their own ARM chip) and challenge the current ARM chip makers who have marketshare?

If Intel can drop prices to near Ryzen levels they'd be admitting price gauging... something that would push me to AMD.

Intel's prices do include a lot of silicon for the iGPU (~40% for quad core?). If Intel came out with GPU free processors, they could make them a lot smaller and cost effective, no? Like, 40% cheaper if using 40% less silicon.

Also, shouldn't this thread be renamed "the AMD Optimism Thread" now?

Either that or an ambiguous title similar to the "NVidia shows signs..." thread. I believe prior to the current name, it was called "The NVidia Execution Gloom thread" or something similar. At the time it was made, NVidia was trending down due to competition from AMD's 48xx series and some were predicting doom and gloom for the company.

Regards,
SB

It's clearly not my domain! From a brief look, these AMD and nVidia threads go back a decade, making them a catch-all discussion? Yet there's a separate nVidia Past, Present and Future thread too, but not for AMD. Obviously a very sophisticated organisation that my small console-like brain can't make sense of. ;)

It's clearly not my domain! From a brief look, these AMD and nVidia threads go back a decade, making them a catch-all discussion? Yet there's a separate nVidia Past, Present and Future thread too, but not for AMD. Obviously a very sophisticated organisation that my small console-like brain can't make sense of. ;)

The PC realm is way too Emo for me too.

haha nice rename

edit: Well it was briefly "The AMD emo thread" :LOL:

Last edited:
Maybe wait for Ryzen to actually be released and see how the market is impacted :)
I dunno. Even if it turns out to not live up to the hype, (which I doubt, I expect Ryzen to be bigger than the second coming of baby jeebus), they've already sold out all their available pre-orders. You gotta admit, things is looking up a bit for AMD.

Just for fun...

C5n_FyCWQAEsoeS.jpg

Intel's prices do include a lot of silicon for the iGPU (~40% for quad core?). If Intel came out with GPU free processors, they could make them a lot smaller and cost effective, no? Like, 40% cheaper if using 40% less silicon.
Not particularly. Individual chips, unless they are truly large, aren't that expensive relative to the prices being charged. Even with GPUs, the Intel chips aren't that big anyway. The Haswell quads are something like 175 and Skylake quads around 120. Assuming something like 7k per wafer (not necessarily Intel's just picking a number bandied about in other discussions), and this is quibbling over prices in the $10-20 per die range, and halving the size isn't going to shift the balance in chips retailing in the hundreds or thousands.

There are spaces where this does matter, just not so much the ones Summit Ridge is gunning for. Other aspects of the chips, their engineering, and packaging can be more important than the piece of silicon, but again the finished product usually won't get near what is being charged unless you're doing something like trying to price a server die with poor yields against an i3--which is a big motivation for the long-standing title of this thread.

Besides, Intel has factories it does need to keep utilizing, and demand for the quads isn't going to shift that much higher from a small discount as it will drop due to a complete loss of product utility for the bulk of the market.

Given how quickly the mood has shifted, perhaps it should be called the AMD execution bipolar thread?
I think there is cause for cautious optimism that AMD can get some leverage to improve its lot, but the sudden shift makes me worry for this thread's emotional stability. Warn me if it spikes to the "AMD execution mania" stage.

6-8-10 cores Intel dont have an integrated gpu's ... the CPUs who was used as a comparaison and who are at 700-1000-1500+ $

Last edited:
Advanced Micro Devices -4.4% amid Ryzen 7 release
Long-awaited availability of Advanced Micro Devices' (NASDAQ:AMD) Ryzen 7 processors has materialized today with three 8-core Ryzen 7 models now on the market. Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 3 processors are planned for launches later in the year.

While one early in-depth review at Ars Technica suggests sound value for price, and strength for the CPUs among workstations, certain shortcomings in gaming capability are observed, prospectively weighing on initial investor reception.
http://seekingalpha.com/news/3248217-advanced-micro-devices-minus-4_4-percent-amid-ryzen-7-release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back