The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by overclocked_enthusiasm, May 28, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

One of the changes was from DX10.1 to DX11, which doesn't seem evolutionary at all. Another was from VLIW5 to VLIW4, which seems like a pretty big change too.

2. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

I meant since first GCN they've been evolutionary, just like kepler and Maxwell are from Fermi, didn't mean they've always been

3. pharma

Veteran Regular

Optimism or misty optics?
    http://www.fudzilla.com/news/processors/38461-amd-waves-its-graphics-core-next-roadmap

#3883 pharma, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  4. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

5. RecessionCone

Regular Subscriber

Not so evolutionary. The ISAs for Fermi, Kepler and Maxwell are all completely different.

6. ToTTenTranz

If Kepler is evolutionary to Fermi, then what is revolutionary to you?

7. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Major architectural changes? The base architecture remained quite similar between the two, more units were added to each SM(X) and doubled shader clock was removed, which gave notable power savings, but it was more or less "more of the same" with some arrangement changes
    (at least if my memory isn't betraying me here)

8. fellix

fellix Hey, You!
    Veteran

One could say GF114 is an evolution to GF110, for example. For Nvidia, I think we should look at their Compute Capability nomenclature. Every major CC version increase essentially states a new architecture node, with all the minor branches within.

I would argue, that Maxwell is definitely more "revolutionary" than what Kepler offered (Kepler's primary benefits came from the then new 28nm process, before anything else). There are significant changes to how data caching is handled, compared to both Fermi and Kepler. Instruction scheduling has also been reworked. And that's on top of the radical layout changes to the multiprocessor design.

#3888 fellix, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  9. AlexV

AlexV Heteroscedasticitate
    Moderator Veteran

It is. Kepler and Fermi were / are quite different. For example, consider scheduling.

10. ToTTenTranz

And the ALU arrangement is completely different, with decoupled clocks.
    One could say Fermi looks like Tesla with DX11 (similar to the Terascale 1 -> Terascale 2 evolution), but Kepler is completely different.

11. fellix

fellix Hey, You!
    Veteran

Fermi introduced a whole new concept of memory pipeline and data handling, compared to the Tesla generation, both on hardware and compiler level. That alone is worth all the innovations from Kepler.

12. sebbbi

Veteran

Fermi and Kepler were quite different. GCN iterations (all of them combined) have been a much smaller change.

I don't remember the source, but I remember that there was some discussion that suggested that Maxwell internal microcode showed some hints about multi-level register file. If this is indeed true, then Maxwell is a bigger architectural change than most believe. NVIDIA paper from 2011: http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2155675

Razor1 and fellix like this.
  13. fellix

fellix Hey, You!
    Veteran

Sure it is. In fact I think Nvidia started the work earlier on Maxwell, overlapping it with Kepler's time-frame. It's possible that Pascal is an "extended" evolution of Maxwell's ISA, now with full-blown DP for the Tesla SKUs and some other goodies. Of course, it will carry it's own major CC iteration, as always.

14. no-X

Veteran

Kepler and GCN (1) were direct competitors, both were introduced during winter 2011/2012. It doesn't make sens to compare Fermi -> Kepler transition with GCN transitions. Fermi's competitor was VLIW, not GCN. Since winter 2011/2012, Nvidia introduced Kepler, Maxwell (1) and Maxwell (2) - AMD GCN (1), GCN (2) and GCN (3).

15. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

The following discusses assembly coding for Maxwell, and the change in the arrangement and caching of register operands.
    https://code.google.com/p/maxas/wiki/sgemm

sebbbi likes this.
  16. pharma

Veteran Regular

[​IMG]

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/47105/amds-gpu-market-share-drops-again-even-release-fury/index.html

#3896 pharma, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  17. Entropy

Veteran

That's a marketing slide if I ever saw one. Love the y-axis scale. :)

18. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

It's a marketing slide. But if we travel a ways back down memory lane, we find that Nvidia is being more fair than it has been in the past.
    https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1094504/

It's not good that a competitor being as unfair as they can be are that close to a fairly normalized axis.

19. ToTTenTranz

Well the Steam Hardware Survey says that virtually nobody bought the rebrands.

Though I wonder if the survey is grouping together the rebrands using the same chip.
    There are a lot of 7900, 7800 and 7700 series in there, so maybe they're grouping together the 7900+R9 280/X, the 7800+R9 270/X+R7 370 and the 7700+R7 250X/260/260X + R7 360.
    That would leave the "200 series" with Hawaii chips only, so 290/X+390/X. The only question would be where they're putting the Tonga chips in there.

20. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

The hardware ID of the rebrands changed, so I'd like to assume that Steam would not lump them together. If I remember (and if I'm granted time from the wife after kiddo is in bed ;) ) I'll poke around in the Steam hardware survey site tonight. Are other, prior rebrands from AMD and NV lumped in the same way? Can't think of one just at this moment, but I know both vendors have examples in the recent past.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.