The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the market for an OK-ish CPU with an OK-ish GPU simply isn't there. If you want to game, you go discrete GPU, and for everything else the crappy Intel GPUs with great CPU is all you ever need.

The funny thing is that both iOS and Android devices value graphics power a great deal, it's just on Windows that it doesn't seem to matter. So perhaps Microsoft is to blame for failing to properly promote gaming on Windows.

I think the market for an OK-ish CPU with an OK-ish GPU simply isn't there.
There are a lot of people who only play f2p or MMOs which do not need beefy specs, but balanced one I think (never tested performance of these games though). I remember Trackmania ran very well on AMD E-350.

The funny thing is that both iOS and Android devices value graphics power a great deal, it's just on Windows that it doesn't seem to matter. So perhaps Microsoft is to blame for failing to properly promote gaming on Windows.
It seems to me that 2D performance on mobile is more important that the 3D part. Are there that many games that really push the GPU?

There are a lot of people who only play f2p or MMOs which do not need beefy specs
I lent one of my old Radeon 6970 cards to a mate of mine, and was surprised when it completely failed to run maxed settings World of Warcraft at a decent clip at 1080P rez. He had to knock down settings to "good" (halfway) to hit 60fps reliably.

DAMN. Something has happened to that old game! :LOL:

I lent one of my old Radeon 6970 cards to a mate of mine, and was surprised when it completely failed to run maxed settings World of Warcraft at a decent clip at 1080P rez. He had to knock down settings to "good" (halfway) to hit 60fps reliably.

DAMN. Something has happened to that old game! :LOL:
Maybe it enables SSAA or MSAA at max settings?

There are a lot of people who only play f2p or MMOs which do not need beefy specs, but balanced one I think (never tested performance of these games though). I remember Trackmania ran very well on AMD E-350.
I don't think the typical AMD configurations, the ones with inadequate cooling capacity and single channel RAM, are going to provide much of an improvement over an Intel HD 4xxx equipped machine. Back when Intel was still pushing Intel HD "Ironlake" and HD 2000 perhaps.

I have a feeling that "ran very well on AMD E-350" is a rather subjective interpretation.

But anyway, they aren't selling well for whatever reason(s) it may be.

Last edited:
It seems to me that 2D performance on mobile is more important that the 3D part. Are there that many games that really push the GPU?

I'm not really sure. I mean, popular games like Angry Birds, Candy Crush, etc., are all 2D, but modern SoCs have far too much processing power for those. Plus, they tend to include dedicated 2D accelerators, although I assume those are meant for UIs more than games.

Maybe the graphics power is usually wasted and only there to win popular benchmarks and get good reviews. This isn't necessarily a bad way to spend 20mm².

The only Carrizo laptop I can find currently for sale is this Acer model in Slovakia.
I can't find any review of any Carrizo laptop anywhere.

So yeah, Carrizo's story seems to be same or worse than Kaveri: interesting chip but no OEM wants to touch it.

Maybe it enables SSAA or MSAA at max settings?
Granted that I haven't actually launched the game for few months, last time I checked AA settings are separated from rest of the settings and not part of the gfx level presets

(edit: it does offer both, though, and also supports rendering at higher than native res natively (meaning you don't need DSR or VSR for it) etc)

Lenovo were showing product at the Computex announcement:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...gen-a-series-carrizo-apus-powering-windows-10

Dell have shown both notebook and desktop AMD based products as well. Its been a while since Dell have used AMD CPU's in their platforms.

http://www.cnet.com/news/dell-inspirion-amd-carrizo/

[Edit] Dell listings: http://pilot.search.dell.com/amd
Does that mean that dell wont have carrizo proper (non -L) in their laptops? On another note do you know when amd will update the listings on their website?

Was it that hard to compete with BayTrail, which is found on thousands upon thousands of tablets, including high-end ones?
Baytrail is way more than a match for Mullins on the CPU side, but Baytrail has GPU performance like that of a Radeon 8500 so there was a window there perhaps. Intel was just about giving Baytrail away though, trying to get into the tablet market.

Last edited:
Baytrail is way more than a match for Mullins on the CPU side, but Baytrail has GPU performance like that of a Radeon 8500 so there was a window there perhaps. Intel was just about giving Baytrail away though, trying to get into the tablet market.
Not just the tablet market, baytrail completely pushed amd out of the $200-400 budget market, where AMD made their bread and butter with bobcat and jaguar cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back