The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like the World's First APU is definitely not going to go down in history as a good deal for AMD.

Wouldn't either Brazos or Sandy Bridge take the honor, if looking at AMD's markets?

This suit may have something to it if AMD's executives went on record with misleading supply figures.
The characterization of demand may be up to perception, so I do not know if the suit would do better focusing on the manufacturing and supply figures--which seem to be more concretely described. Sandy Bridge's launch should have foreshadowed the eventual shape of AMD's demand curve for Llano.

Even without this suit, Llano was not a good deal. This extra kick in the pants may have more to do with the value of Seifert and friends.

The RX-425BB is a 35W Kaveri APU. I don't know anything about digital signage, but this sounds like overkill to me.

Anyway, does Samsung make a lot of these things?
Well, pretty much every single display, touch or not, in stores, shopping malls, airports, fastfood places, you name is counted as "digital signage display", so the potential is quite high

Weird if they're using APUs for this, as any Arduino-like ARM SoC would do an equally good job I would think. Is there a particularly large need to run Windows on these things maybe? Because even that would seem more like a millstone around your neck rather than an advantage (high hardware demands, security issues, high license cost and whatnot.)

8 years ago (maybe??) I was doing an interview, and they were already using shaders for such contents.
The idea behind is that the more powerful the APU, the more you can do dynamically - that is, making spots etc. without the need to stream contents, but by using a 3d engine backend.

uh, time passes so fast...

Last time I was into digital signage the really decent stuff was a windows-based client with flash and wmv/mpg stuff. Serious software like Omnivex Moxie did a lot of real-time effects that required a decent cpu/gpu. There wasn't really much around that was more than panels with images for anything non-windows.

I never would have guessed this. I figured digital signs probably used static documents and simple videos.

Well they do have to be able to generate animations / transitions for whatever you put up on them, and the complexity and resolution is going up.

Last edited:
I guess my on-brain integrated Adblock must have made me oblivious to this.
It has been a gradual transition that more and more of this stuff is occurring, gradual enough that you don't really notice it until you stop and look/think about it. For instance, I noticed recently that in my local multiplex what was, not more than a year or so ago, a static poster outside each theatre showing what film was on there has now been changed to a large portrait display showing "active" posters; or, go into any McDonalds now and look at the menus above the tills, what used to be static signs that they rotated around for the breakfast menu to the main day menu's are now more than likely a bank of displays.

It has been a gradual transition that more and more of this stuff is occurring, gradual enough that you don't really notice it until you stop and look/think about it. For instance, I noticed recently that in my local multiplex what was, not more than a year or so ago, a static poster outside each theatre showing what film was on there has now been changed to a large portrait display showing "active" posters; or, go into any McDonalds now and look at the menus above the tills, what used to be static signs that they rotated around for the breakfast menu to the main day menu's are now more than likely a bank of displays.
At least in my country (Eastern Europe), the transition has certainly been noticed and is widespread.
However, it's mostly been to HDTVs playing MP4 files, or, in some instances, lowend CPUs displaying easy vector graphics (i.e. rendering static text + images using a ViA C3 instead of playing an MP4).
Certainly, I haven't seen a single instance of 3D rendering. May not have been paying enough attention, but on the most widespread displays that I did see today, no 3D rendering.

No one is talking about 3D rendering for these but realtime effects like breaking up a video stream/file into puzzle pieces then mapping those parts onto shapes, combining multiple mp4/flash components with layer onto an area, ultra-high resolution video output etc. are all cpu/gpu intensive. And these were the types of things being done back in 2008 when I was actively working on such software/devices. Back then I needed 3Ghz C2D processors and Windows XP to do those types of things, which required a 3" thick mini-pc mounted onto the back of a TV.

There are many drivers for solutions like these - we have many W9100 (Hawaii GL-XT) customers that never even touch the 3D engine, they just buy it for the 6 display outputs and Genlock/Framelock capabilities! But the more prevalent digital signage becomes, so too does it take more to get noticed, so the signage becomes more content rich and interactive. A solution like this APU gives a lot of options in terms of content rich, or just multi-display (with the potential to stitch them into one content display with Eyefinity).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back