That Cross-Generation Games Thread [2020] *spawn*

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by DSoup, Jul 16, 2020.

1. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

When did I said there was only one business case that makes sense ? I specifically said it was nuanced because it is.

The xbox one had its own set of problems. It was more expensive , did not perform as well as the competition and at launch did not have bc.

I think if day one you could take your xbox 360 games and play them on the xbox one things would have gone a bit differently. The pricing would still be an issue however . This time MS has a more powerful system , BC with xbox /xbox 360/ xbox one and while the jury is still out on pricing , it could be the same price or even less. They also have xcloud and the new upgrade program for software

So its not the same as last generations transition

2. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

Also when you say would you be happy if you bought an xbox last year or this, would you be happy with no games coming out for it.
    Do you really think that without xbox studio games there's no games?
    Also I don't remember reading anyone on here saying xbox shouldn't release any more games on XO.

So it's things like that, that makes your presentation of your point sound very extreme to me.

I never said x360 to XO was totally the same, I'm highlighting that at some point their going to want people to remain/upgrade when they are looking at a next gen machine, and staying in the same ecosystem isn't a given regardless of what their telemetry Is telling them, or to be more accurate how they are interpreting it.
    Where do they get this view of the potential from? That's part of the point.

Being the biggest seller isn't necessarily the point of all games. Same for games that they put into gamepass, hope you're not expecting them all to be huge blockbusters.

3. dobwal

Legend Veteran

From a smorgasbord of games in development. Games like the division and watchdog that were marketed at e3 presented a level of visuals that launch games could hardly demonstrate.

Pre-launch marketing of next gen consoles is hardly limited to launch titles.

BRiT and disco_ like this.
  4. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

5. disco_

Newcomer

Spider-man:MM started off as a ps4 game?

6. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

This is news to me but perhaps we should wait for the game before judging. I think it's quite probable that Miles Morales was always intended for PS5 and it was the work done on enhancing the PS4 engine for PS5 that resulted in demo of Spider-Man running on PS5 dev hardware that was shown to Wired in early 2019. The one where they showed Spider-Man moving at impossible speeds for PS4 and 8.1 second loads becoming 0.8 second loads.

We know from the detailed GDC technology break of Insomniac's Spider-Man in 2018 that the PS4's 20mb/sec disk reads was a particular barrier and while they got good results they had to execute some design gymnastics to make it happen. Removing these issues will be a massive time saver when developing nextgen-only (i.e SSD-based) games.

orangpelupa likes this.
  7. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

since PS5 is 3TF more than XBX and 3TF less than XsX, should we say it's mid-next gen ?

disco_ and PSman1700 like this.
  8. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Are you saying PS5 is a 9Tf console? Because.. :runaway:

orangpelupa and Karamazov like this.
  9. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Is that some of the time or most of the time?

orangpelupa, disco_ and AzBat like this.
  10. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

We need a TF gauge on the console, like power gauge in some cars, to really know !

egoless, Silenti, DSoup and 6 others like this.
  11. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

The main problem with that is they are multi-platform.
    For a 1P they can get out games that may not always be huge successes but definitely get eyes on the platform.
    Sony have made some very graphically impressive games, which can go head to head with 3P.
    In MS case they had couple decent early games that people felt would have done well with sequels. Ryse, sunset.

Me personally, don't think that either should just make next gen exclusives, but I can definitely see the positives in having a couple.

This crossover is going to be interesting for 1P and 3P because it's a lot easier to make and support a cross gen game.
    Flip side of that is, easier to start on next gen exclusives, where before a lot of early work was just getting to know the system, api's, porting engines across etc

12. chris1515

Veteran Regular

It seems theyt begin to understand crossgen is a problem...

egoless and ThePissartist like this.
  13. Xbat

Veteran Newcomer

For me there whole marketing thing about the cross gen for the next two years is a deflection because they have nothing ready.
    After watching there conference thing yesterday it just cements that opinion for me. I couldn't believe that Forza wasn't ready to show gameplay and apparently the rare game didn't show gameplay because they still not sure about what gameplay they going to have.

I mean they only announced the location where Hellblade 2 takes place, that probably means it's 2-3 years away from being done.

egoless and disco_ like this.
  14. AbsoluteBeginner

Regular Newcomer

Its probably that these games wont be out before 2022 and cross gen will go till late 2021 tops.

AzBat, BRiT, chris1515 and 1 other person like this.
  15. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

These may have been mistakes to begin with. They also had the Medium as XBO supported as well. And that was always a XSX exclusive.

Moving these onto the store, some people mess up. Anytime at the end of any video you see only 'XBOX' and no platforms mentioned. It probably means it's 3-4 years out still.

#75 iroboto, Jul 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    AzBat, DSoup and BRiT like this.
  16. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Rare's own web page still shows Xbox One & Windows 10, but it hasn't been updated since last December either. Their Games Showcase news page(updated yesterday) does say go to the Xbox.com site for the official game page.

Tommy McClain

iroboto and BRiT like this.