That Cross-Generation Games Thread [2020] *spawn*

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
First, this is all false and there's no game design improvement possible next gen (this falls into crazy conspiracy theory, like everyone is lying). Second, they actively prevented their devs from designing around the new hardware capabilities for games launching in that time frame. Or third, the games designed from the start to exploit the next gen hardware are simply not ready, which makes the most sense since big AAA new IPs would take at least 5 years to make.

I'd add a forth, that you get a cut down version of the game or one that's segmented in a way the next gen version isn't.

Won't be much of a bummer to me. We'll still have the better looking, higher resolution, higher framerate, and faster loading versions of those XGS games. We'll also have the option of getting them on PC for even higher fidelity.
But I'm sure you also can see the view of some folks who are not ready to sign up with a third Microsoft console playing the same Xbox One games better than the last - for at least a couple of unspecified Earth elliptical orbits around the sun, give or take a number of lunar orbits about Earth. :runaway:

I'm interested to see how this cross-gen thing pans out. Obviously the games next week could blow us away, but there could always be that lingering thought in my head where I say "wonder what this would have looked like if it was just a next-gen exclusive".

MS though just recently acquired their newer studios so this might not even apply all that much to the AAA games that are probably YEARS away. More so to their indie, lower budget-ish titles that they'll publish to add to Gamepass to go along with their vision of releasing titles every three months.

Got round to reading all of Phil's blog post. He starts mentioning All Access rather a lot towards the end. I think that'll be part of their price/launch announcement (presumably the August update).

I'd bet on All Access preorders. "You too can afford this for a small monthly fee!"

I'd add a forth, that you get a cut down version of the game or one that's segmented in a way the next gen version isn't.

Sort of like the LaserDisc version of movies, where you have to get up to flip the disc.

Except this might be you'll have longer initial load to get into the first zone with a lot more streaming always going on while you move around. Also scale the textures and resolutions and framerates.

The worst aspect will be targetting the puny Jaguar cores. You'll probably be restricted to the meagre 30 FPS realm. Though I see people clamoring for that and saying how cinematic it feels. So they may be happy.

Not to mention that Series X technically has thousands of launch games already thanks to its BC solution going back to Original Xbox, Xbox 360, and all Xbox One.*

*Discarding the Kinect titles.

I'm interested to see how this cross-gen thing pans out. Obviously the games next week could blow us away, but there could always be that lingering thought in my head where I say "wonder what this would have looked like if it was just a next-gen exclusive".

The games will look amazing. Series X has a ton of power to throw at visuals. What some people are anxious about though is whether the decision to maintain cross-gen game development will hold back experiences for nextgen console owners.

But I think as discussion on these forums has demonstrated, it's really quite difficult to point at a - or a range of - gameplay features and confidently state they can only be done on nextgen. Because if you look at individual features, really impressive stuff has done on far lower powered hardware like Red Factions fully-destructible environments on PS2 and varied open worlds like GTA San Andreas.

Ignoring visuals which we accept are highly scalable, the only title I've seen where I felt that couldn't be done on PS4 is Ratchet & Clank and those wormholes. Whether this mechanic actually adds anything meaningful to gameplay is debatable. Now I know without hesitation that once developers starting targeting only nextgen consoles with decent CPUs and fast SSDs, we will be inundated with great games that clearly would have had to be dramatically different if they were going to be on this generation.

Much as you can look at Assassin's Creed Unity and say that they would have had to utterly gut that game's vision to get it working on PS3 and X360. It felt like cross-gen games faded real fast this generation, with a few games planned as cross-gen being were canned, like Dying Light. I'm still kind of impressed Ubisoft released Watch Dogs on PS3, 360 and Wii U.

Can we get rid of the MGS abbreviation for Microsoft Game Studios please? It's Xbox Game Studios or XGS. I don't even play or like Metal Geal Solid, but that's all I see when I see MGS used. Thanks!

Tommy McClain

I am of the mind that the launch window titles (1st year) will be difficult for most companies to design their games to take advantage of next gen features and hardware. It is easy to scale existing games upwards to take advantage of the power which is why I suspect we're seeing so much native 4K with 60fps, and/or ray tracing.

I do believe it will be some time to make the switch, perhaps year 2-3 titles.

Of course, it may not be much of an actual decision, it could be Microsoft's true Series X exclusives are just far out so presenting the situation as a pro-consumer policy is smart.

Or were they maybe taking into account the ability of xCloud to play your games on any device? :cool:

This is something I've been saying for a few weeks now.
That I think that the no exclusives is probably less to do with consumer friendly as all first party is going into gamepass and i expected xcloud to be rolled into it.
That being the case, with xcloud only being current gen based it would make the whole messaging harder, add the fact that their new studios current projects probably targeting current gen also, probably makes sense to present it as consumer friendly.
They've been talking about next gen for couple years now, so it's not like people didn't know.
Better still simply say we're going to support XO, but where a studio wants to make an exclusive we won't stop them, but that will be rare in the short term.

The main problem with their approach though is if people buy ps5 for the exclusives, keep their current Xbox as they can play everything on it. They will then invest into ps ecosystem as that's where the games will look and play best.
It reminds me when they kept going on for years about their telemetry for X360 and so just a matter of waiting for them to jump into XO, well that never happened.

I imagine ! above your head every time you see it.

Yep! Pet peeve for sure.

The main problem with their approach though is if people buy ps5 for the exclusives, keep their current Xbox as they can play everything on it. They will then invest into ps ecosystem as that's where the games will look and play best.

If MS has you spending money on their games via direct purchases or Game Pass, I doubt they care what devices you own. They're still getting money from you.

Tommy McClain

This is something I've been saying for a few weeks now.
That I think that the no exclusives is probably less to do with consumer friendly as all first party is going into gamepass and i expected xcloud to be rolled into it.
That being the case, with xcloud only being current gen based it would make the whole messaging harder, add the fact that their new studios current projects probably targeting current gen also, probably makes sense to present it as consumer friendly.
They've been talking about next gen for couple years now, so it's not like people didn't know.
Better still simply say we're going to support XO, but where a studio wants to make an exclusive we won't stop them, but that will be rare in the short term.

It reminds me when they kept going on for years about their telemetry for X360 and so just a matter of waiting for them to jump into XO, well that never happened.

MS will have xbox / pc exclusives. There may be a large amount of people who love playstation exclusvies but MS is building a pretty good case for the xbox ecosystem.

Xbox series x is the highest tflop machine on the market
PC is where performance is at and you can upgrade till your heart content
game pass ultimate ties both platforms together
Game pass ultimate starting in sept will include xcloud.

MS is investing into updates to its software we have griffon coming ,we have the xbox beta app on pc which is much better than the old one and we have a revamped xbox experience on the consoles itself.

In just a week we will see their first party vision in terms of games.

Its starting to add up as a great package and platform for serious gamers.

Sony might have fans of their first party games but if the first party games they like aren't out right away the xbox platform may be the better first choice for a lot of people when you add up all the features.

About that Microsoft Games Studios cross-gen Statement from Phil Spencer. It is not a mandate. It's up to each respective developer to decide for themselves, even within Xbox Game Studios.

The thing you'll see on the 23rd is we're giving our studios real creative freedom to build the games that they envision.

As you know we've added a lot of studios to the to the Xbox Game Studios organization over the last few years and providing them the financial stability, the creative freedom to go build the games that they want to go build, and our game creators want to build great games that can reach a large audience of players.

So I think what you hear Matt talking about and what our creators will say is we have a vision for every game that we're building and the vision starts with the player, not the device. If a creator comes to us and says 'No, I really want to focus on next generation' with their games, we're completely open to that and we're very supportive of that.

If a creator comes to us and says I have this vision for reaching these customers across different platforms and different generations we're completely supportive of that.

It is really about our creators having choice and allowing them to build the games that they want to build to reach the audience that they're looking for and not things that we're mandating to our creators in terms of what they have to go do.

It's not our rules for our platform it's more about creators creating the games that they want to go build looking ahead.

About that Microsoft Games Studios cross-gen Statement from Phil Spencer. It is not a mandate. It's up to each respective developer to decide for themselves.

The thing you'll see on the 23rd is we're giving our studios real creative freedom to build the games that they envision.

As you know we've added a lot of studios to the to the Xbox Game Studios organization over the last few years and providing them the financial stability, the creative freedom to go build the games that they want to go build, and our game creators want to build great games that can reach a large audience of players.

So I think what you hear Matt talking about and what our creators will say is we have a vision for every game that we're building and the vision starts with the player, not the device. If a creator comes to us and says 'No, I really want to focus on next generation' with their games, we're completely open to that and we're very supportive of that.

If a creator comes to us and says I have this vision for reaching these customers across different platforms and different generations we're completely supportive of that.

It is really about our creators having choice and allowing them to build the games that they want to build to reach the audience that they're looking for and not things that we're mandating to our creators in terms of what they have to go do.

It's not our rules for our platform it's more about creators creating the games that they want to go build looking ahead.
Sounds like, the devs were allowed to do anything they want. But everyone chose to go cross gen for the next few years and that’s how they marketed it.
Interesting.

Back