TES V: Skyrim

Not seen any incorrectly textured dragons myself, I run standard hires texture pack from Bethy, with detail slider whacked up to max. I have noticed a lot more stuttering however in this last expansion/update though. Both indoors and outdoors.

Booted the laptop today and watched Steam pull down a 1.5GB patch. Guess it's been a while since I've had this thing turned on...

I wonder if the new high resolution texture pack has anything to do with the stuttering. I don't even know what textures have been improved and chances are the countless mods I'm running are higher resolution anyway. Has anyone who's also experiencing stuttering tried disabling the .esm file? As for the dragons failing to load textures, the glitch is rampant even on consoles. I've seen videos of console players experiencing the exact same thing.

The community made HD textures are IIRC better quality than the official HD ones, and have been available forever

The community made HD textures are IIRC better quality than the official HD ones, and have been available forever

Agreed.

I think at least a shader mod based on ENB Series and some of the best rated texture mods are a must in the game.

Then there's the higher-polygon models, more varied faces an body proportions on NPCs, more varied and higher quality vegetation and animals, etc.
Damn, I could go on and on for hours about the mods in the game, and still it wouldn't make justice.

Don't play this game without mods people, make yourselves a favor and play a next-gen game with top-notch assets. It's worth it.

Well in theory it's actually quite a past-gen game since it's DX9 only.

Yeah. 99% of the mods I run are for improving existing textures, so it makes me wonder if I should even bother running the Bethesda high resolution texture packs, and save myself potential unnecessary performance hits.

Yeah. 99% of the mods I run are for improving existing textures, so it makes me wonder if I should even bother running the Bethesda high resolution texture packs, and save myself potential unnecessary performance hits.

Well, if you do plan to use them, you need to do some extra work to get any community one to replace them, apparently the normal methods used don't work and the game uses the "DLC HD textures" instead anyway. Don't know more details about how to override it though, but on another forum one user went to the point that he contacted Steam support and asked (succesfully) them to remove the HD texture pack from his account

I've been encountering a ton of frame rate stuttering in outdoor areas ever since, I believe, the last update. The distant terrain keeps loading, causing brief and consistent dips in my frame rate. After doing some research people claim it's because of the game, while Bethesda said they addressed the LAA issue, not utilizing more than 2 GB of RAM correctly. Some tweaks can resolve this, apparently, in one of the .ini files, by manually entering a variable to increase how much RAM the game will utilize. It's really obnoxious. The FPS dip, while only between 2-5 frames, happens every 5 seconds or so, sometimes without fail, as if on an unending cycle. Is anyone else encountering this and, more importantly, know of a hot fix? I'm going to try the suggestions I read by tweaking the .ini, but I was curious if anyone else here has the same issue. I know a lot of people are experiencing it.

I think that's part of the engine unfortunately. I read that an SSD might help, then I got an SSD. It didn't help (maybe it improved it a tiny bit, but it still happens). I've also seen various ini tweaks that are 'supposed' to alleviate it but in my experience do not. Like the ugrids value, that caused problems with LOD textures and also performance issues for me. I remember reading about those memory tweaks for Oblivion and Fallout 3. I did some pretty extensive tests with different values and they had no effect for me. I have a feeling they don't do anything other than a placebo effect for the users that advocate them.

I would try the 'vanilla' game as a test though if you're running a lot of mods and you've modified your ini. Backup the ini file and revert to a default one, disable any mods (even officia ones) just as a test and see if it does the same thing. I'm pretty sure what your describing is part of the engine. I guess most people don't notice or something. It's pretty noticeable for me. Just walking in a straight path outdoors for about 30 seconds I can see it happen a few times. My buddy was playing the console version and I noticed it on there too (it's even worse).

Besides this, another thing that really bugs me is the occasional "twitchy" LOD textures. Oblivion and the Fallouts did the same thing. I really hope they fix this in whatever future game re-uses the engine 'cause I have a feeling they'll be using it again. Too much invested in it dating back to Morrowind... And to think they claimed Skyrim was using a new engine :rolleyes:

Talking about being overpowered in Skyrim: I am a pure mage build. What I do: I summon two Dremora Lords. Those guys are super funny when listening to their chatting and are super strong. Two of them are unbeatable. So all I have to do is....well, nothing. Just stand there and watch how those guys crush through everyone and everything while making fun of the enemies.
Exactly the way I played my first run! It was a good laugh. A fight went like this:

*Enemy attacks
*Summon dremora lord x 2
*"I SMELL WEAKNESS!" "I WILL FEAST ON YOUR HEART"
*Big Swing
*Enemy decapitated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHp-Y3Gnm_Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Can one summon up different things simultaneously, say elemental, familiar and skeleton...? Or is it just one thing only, and two of the same thing with perk?

Can one summon up different things simultaneously, say elemental, familiar and skeleton...? Or is it just one thing only, and two of the same thing with perk?
Just tried to load up Skyrim to check, and holy hell, Steam has a 110MB patch? What is up with that?

Edit: Anyway, yes, the perk increases your summon limit to 2, of whatever two things you want to summon. Without the perk, you can only summon one thing total.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okays! I'm really excited to start on an "evil" type mage now (those high elves are bastards) who will join the assassins' guild, worship daedra, contract vampirism and so on. Can't right now though, as I'm visiting my folks and only have my Macbook with me. Bloody bethsoft, refusing to do mac ports... Bah!

Will be back home tomorrow, maybe I will have time for making a new character then. I loved flinging spells when I leveled up my wood elf, but his specialty is bow and arrows, so I didn't feel it "appropriate" to keep using spells once I hit level 100 in those skills.

Peanut gallery: stfu! :LOL:

Can one be both vampire and werewolf simultaneously? Heh. That ought to be a hoot.

So I'm running a whole lot more mods now, primary including Climates of Tamriel + Climates ENB. I couldn't really take advantage of the high end ENB mods on my old system but my 7870 eats them up and OMG finally I can match the amazing screenshots people take. It's just incredible actually playing the game in that kind of quality and the DoF isn't overblown and works really well.

So currently have added for visual feast:

Climates of Tamriel
ApachiiSkyHair
Crimson Tide
UNP bodies
Enhanced Lights and FX
Horse Armors for Skyrim
Lanterns of Skyrim
Lush Trees
Real Ice Parallax
W.A.T.E.R.

Plus a bunch of various armor, equipment, map, ui mods etc.

My argonian conjuror was my highest level Skyrim toon, got him into his mid-40s. I'd use dragonrend to bring one down and let the two dremora lords chop away. It really was God mode.

Back