TES V: Skyrim

Not seen any forests in FO3, or any previous FOs either for that matter. They might exist I suppose, I haven't played any of those games very much.

Was FOIII done by the same team as skyrim?

In any case, how could a FO game be "brought up" to skyrim standard when all there is in FO is ash-grey overcast skies and rubble and bare dirt and bare concrete ruins and stuff like that? :p
Haha, well, the setting does pretty much demand a degree of drabness to the graphics :)

But I was thinking more in terms of the overall gameplay. One of the things that really separated Skyrim from the previous Elder Scrolls games was the pure badassery of the dragonborn, combined with significant improvements to the combat system. The graphics were improved as well, but not all that tremendously.

One thing they could do with FO4, to bring an aspect of the superhuman protagonist gameplay forward, would be to have the protagonist of the next game be a new kind of mutant: looks more or less human, but has some super mutant powers.

Hell, thinking of the dragonborn made me want to listen to this again:

I don't really mind some superhuman action, but once you start down that path there's really no turning back. It's easy to let things just spiral out of hand from there; once you "go super", you need to ratchet up the resistance or there'd be no challenge, and it can kind of get ridiculous quite easy. It's like Superman comics. Here's this dude who's uber strong, invulnerable, got X-ray vision, shoots lasers with his eyes and can fly through the vacuum of space without a suit (other than that ridiculous blue one with underpants-on-top and a cape attached)...now what?

Oh. Kryptonite. Let's invent that.

Ah yeah. "Magic." He's weak against that too.

Lul.

Btw:

Yours was really nice too, but a bit too much reverb methinks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow those Youtubes were awesome, really highlights the quality of the music in the game. I'm still playing here, I've finished probably 90% of the side quests but still early on on the theifs guild, dark brotherhood, main and civil war quests - I like saving the best until last.

My character is a lvl 81 Nord with everything maxed out and insane armour and weapons. He's actually far too powerful to properly enjoy the game so most of the time I play in hide armour with a steel greatsword and just carry my uber gear around with me for dealing with those tricky foes.

I don't really mind some superhuman action, but once you start down that path there's really no turning back. It's easy to let things just spiral out of hand from there; once you "go super", you need to ratchet up the resistance or there'd be no challenge, and it can kind of get ridiculous quite easy. It's like Superman comics. Here's this dude who's uber strong, invulnerable, got X-ray vision, shoots lasers with his eyes and can fly through the vacuum of space without a suit (other than that ridiculous blue one with underpants-on-top and a cape attached)...now what?

Oh. Kryptonite. Let's invent that.

Ah yeah. "Magic." He's weak against that too.

Lul.
This is very true. And I do wonder what they're going to do with TES6 as a result. Because yes, it is hard to go back now that they've gone superhuman with Skyrim.

Btw:

Yours was really nice too, but a bit too much reverb methinks.
I see your violin and raise you a singer and cosplay:

And I do wonder what they're going to do with TES6 as a result. Because yes, it is hard to go back now that they've gone superhuman with Skyrim.
Hum, well I never got anywhere really in Oblivion so I don't know how things worked in that game, but in Morrowind, once you got your acrobatics maxed out you could do some pretty fricken ridiculously superhuman jumps and stuff. As long as you didn't carry too much junk (and wore light armor, or maybe heavy that had the crap enchanted out of it with +strength), you could quite easily jump 3-4 meters straight up for example. While you didn't have any shout powers you could run like the wind (bunnyhopping worked great in morrowind!) and it was almost impossible to die from fall damage. You had to want to kill yourself to succeed...

I see your violin and raise you a singer and cosplay:
Cosplay, eh? ...Fold. :D

Hum, well I never got anywhere really in Oblivion so I don't know how things worked in that game, but in Morrowind, once you got your acrobatics maxed out you could do some pretty fricken ridiculously superhuman jumps and stuff. As long as you didn't carry too much junk (and wore light armor, or maybe heavy that had the crap enchanted out of it with +strength), you could quite easily jump 3-4 meters straight up for example. While you didn't have any shout powers you could run like the wind (bunnyhopping worked great in morrowind!) and it was almost impossible to die from fall damage. You had to want to kill yourself to succeed...
Oh, well, yeah, the way the Elder Scrolls games were made you could always make a crazily-powerful character. But before Skyrim, your character didn't actually start as anything particularly special, and there was nothing in the narrative that made your character anything more than your own accomplishments.

Skyrim is the first one to actually have the character have special powers that were, ostensibly, completely unavailable to everybody else (technically, others could learn to shout, but your character is the only one to learn shouts effortlessly).

Cosplay, eh? ...Fold. :D
;)

This is very true. And I do wonder what they're going to do with TES6 as a result. Because yes, it is hard to go back now that they've gone superhuman with Skyrim.

You're assuming there will be a TES6, meaning the coming TES MMORPG stuff doesn't:
1 - become hugely successful making Zenimax/Bethesda avoid making single-player games at all (like what happened with blizzard and the warcraft series)

2 - become a huge failure making Zenimax/Bethesda go under financial stress, endangering all future game releases and avoiding anything under the same name (Star Wars: TOR).

The MMO is handled by a different division within zenimax, it's not the same devteam. It's not even handled within bethesda itself I believe.

Dunno the reason to worry about financial stress, we've no idea how much money they've sunken into the development process. Presumably the MMO shares assets with Skyrim, maybe engine technology as well, so a lot of stuff is already designed if that's the case.

That doesn't matter, it's still a valid concern. If the MMO ends up fulfilling the desires of TES gamers, why would they then invest in a single player game where they can't adventure with their friends.

Anyone else still playing Skyrim?

I just approached my 512th hour. I can't stop modding/playing this game. I have easily 75 mods running at the moment and it looks fantastic. In fact, I've become obsessed with the notion of replacing every texture in the game. Like....almost anal about it. "That cheese wheel doesn't look real enough...."

*Downloads a 2k texture cheese mod*

I'm still yet to beat any of the official story lines, including the main quest. I'm working on the Dawnguard DLC before I get to Dragonborn. I love Dawnguard, and Serana is an awesome follower to use.

They've already said they're not going to stop doing singleplayer TES games, so if they're to retreat from that they'd lose major face and credibility... While they did sell $10 horse armor once upon a time (or whatever ridiculous price it was), I don't think Bethy's just quite evil enough to go that far.

After all, you can't do the same level and quality of storytelling in a MMO anyway, where many people don't really care all that much about storytelling and lore and instead just want loot, and/or experience points. If you want more intense, focused gameplay and combat, singleplayer is the way to go.

You're assuming there will be a TES6, meaning the coming TES MMORPG stuff doesn't:
1 - become hugely successful making Zenimax/Bethesda avoid making single-player games at all (like what happened with blizzard and the warcraft series)
I don't see this as remotely likely. They've developed a huge following with their TES series, and it would make no sense to completely neglect their very large single-player base. Making money in a new way does not make the old way impossible. Furthermore, there are constraints on multiplayer games that tend to make them much less enjoyable in certain ways (for one, they require the game developers to plan for gamers spending a heck of a lot more time in the world, which tends to force the game to become a bit less interesting and more repetitive).

As for WoW, well, I'm not completely sure what happened there. Perhaps the tremendous success of that MMO derailed other plans. A WoW-level success doesn't seem that likely. But as others have mentioned, a different team is handling the MMO anyway.

2 - become a huge failure making Zenimax/Bethesda go under financial stress, endangering all future game releases and avoiding anything under the same name (Star Wars: TOR).
I don't know about that. TOR is still profitable:
http://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/...epublic-subscribers-fall-to-under-one-million

Considering that the initial subscriber volume was more than their servers could handle, it shouldn't be that much of a surprise that they're still doing fairly well. I do hope they can manage to grow subscribers over the years.

SWTOR's F2P these days isn't it? Seems unlikely they'll grow in subber numbers once they start down that path. WoW is basically an anomaly these days in the MMO world, that and EVE maybe. I don't think that game is F2P either, and they're alledgedly still growing, albeit very slowly.

Back in the world of Tamriel, I conquered Miraak the other day. The guy was a complete pushover, unfortunately lol. His attacks barely scratched me. Maybe I should have bumped difficulty up from default setting, I dunno, it felt a bit anticlimactic tbh, but on the other hand I do also love walking around being basically unbeatable (except for (frost) magic users who can still put major hurt on me.)

Dwemer legendary improved crossbow and dwemer crossbow bolts REALLY put the hurt on, especially when they crit. Regular steel bolts either kill outright or at least take out most of the health of even a strong foe, but the dwemer bolts... Jeez. I must have shot off 60% of Miraak's health with one hit, lol.

Unfortunately, every time his health got low he started a scripted event where he went invulnerable and invisible and teleported back to the center of his chamber, and after repeating that a couple times I didn't even get the satisfaction of killing him. Instead there was this deus ex machina intervention where hermaeus mora offed him for me, most unsatisfying. Grr...

SWTOR's F2P these days isn't it? Seems unlikely they'll grow in subber numbers once they start down that path.
Well, it's revenue that matters for that, isn't it? As I understand it, MMO's are going down that path because it's more profitable.

But in general what I really meant was the overall revenue. I do hope that the revenue continues to increase, due to an active player base, as that should help the MMO to keep going strong for some time.

Back in the world of Tamriel, I conquered Miraak the other day. The guy was a complete pushover, unfortunately lol. His attacks barely scratched me. Maybe I should have bumped difficulty up from default setting, I dunno, it felt a bit anticlimactic tbh, but on the other hand I do also love walking around being basically unbeatable (except for (frost) magic users who can still put major hurt on me.)

Dwemer legendary improved crossbow and dwemer crossbow bolts REALLY put the hurt on, especially when they crit. Regular steel bolts either kill outright or at least take out most of the health of even a strong foe, but the dwemer bolts... Jeez. I must have shot off 60% of Miraak's health with one hit, lol.

Unfortunately, every time his health got low he started a scripted event where he went invulnerable and invisible and teleported back to the center of his chamber, and after repeating that a couple times I didn't even get the satisfaction of killing him. Instead there was this deus ex machina intervention where hermaeus mora offed him for me, most unsatisfying. Grr...
Yeah, this is one of the problems with a game that allows more or less open-ended character development: it tends to be relatively easy to make tremendously overpowered characters, once you know what you're doing. So if the game developers scaled the game's difficulty for reasonably-experienced characters, inexperienced players wouldn't know how to make a powerful character and would continually die. But tailoring it to new players makes experienced characters way overpowered.

The build I usually went for in that game was a dual-weapon thief build. If I could sneak up to the enemy and backstab them (which was usually), then they were almost certain to die in one strike. If I couldn't, then a good elemental fury shout would let me take the enemy down in seconds. That build requires some well-enchanted armor for protection (the higher-level dragon breath can be especially nasty), but it usually works well.

Anyway, I haven't tried it out on the latest DLC yet. I started a barbarian-type specializing in two-handed weapons a bit ago, but haven't played him much.

Well, it's revenue that matters for that, isn't it? As I understand it, MMO's are going down that path because it's more profitable.
Yes, for almost all western MMOs except EVE and WoW, because they've been unable to retain subbers and thus revenue starts going down which forces them to cut back on development, meaning no new stuff, so more subbers quit, causing a spiral towards oblivion if they were to rely on subs alone.

Even with F2P, games like Warhammer age of reckoning hasn't released much of any new content at all; the game's alive, but it seems that's pretty much it.

it tends to be relatively easy to make tremendously overpowered characters, once you know what you're doing.
I haven't even bothered to strive for overpoweredness. I just picked the perks I liked, that suited the type of character I was making (sneaky rogue, bow-and-daggers-style gameplay.) My level 81th perk point I even put into dwemer blacksmithing even though I specialize in light armor, just so I could improve my dwarven crossbow more. Well, maybe that counts as tweaking out my character towards overpoweredness, I dunno, but it's pretty much the only skill point I did that with. I even deliberately passed over the perk that gives 15x damage to sneaking power attacks with daggers, because I end up fighting melee very rarely.

I started a barbarian-type specializing in two-handed weapons a bit ago, but haven't played him much.
Melee is much harder than ranged combat IME, because power attacks hitting you can really put the hurt on at early levels (or even kill you outright), and also frost mages sapping your stamina with their spells while simultaneously slowing you to ridiculous levels, meaning you have no chance to catch up with them...meaning you die, unless you shoot them first.

Or keep swigging potions, but that's usually a losing proposition unless you're like me and run a no-weight-potion mod running constantly. (Along with no weight alchemical ingredients, no weight blacksmithing supplies, gems, scrolls... Heh. I must be carrying around 500+ pounds of excess weight at all times, but I'm gonna drop off all that junk and rid myself of the excess mods.)

My 2nd character will definitely be a high elf mage. I would like to try out the Conan-like barbarian nord type character, but the attraction is not high enough there.

What do they mean with it being "profitable"? I imagine that having 500 000 subscribers won't instantaneously compensate for the ~$200M that the game cost to develop.
Probably, at 500 000 it still pays the bills of the support team, servers, electricity bill, etc.

Nonetheless, I find it hard to believe they will ever get the development costs back.
The game will probably be a nail in the coffin for the Old Republic franchise, seeing as how Disney seems to show little to no interest in using Lucas' franchises for videogames other than smartphone casuals.

I do hope they can manage to grow subscribers over the years.

Did that ever happen in any MMORPG other than WoW with their expansions?

Back