Terrible news for Nvidia

The thing that would scare me most is competition in the OEM market taking away from competition in the high-end market. If competition in the OEM market happens we may have great OEM products and bad high-end consumer products. Damn you Intel. Thank god, ATI will still be here.

pat777 said:
DaveBaumann said:
The scary thought is - if you look at the market cap differentiation between ATI and NVIDIA, at these levels NVIDIA is potentially a purchase target for ATI...
Don't forget about Intel.

Well Intel has always been in a position where they could aquire nvidia.

pat777 said:
The thing that would scare me most is competition in the OEM market taking away from competition in the high-end market. If competition in the OEM market happens we may have great OEM products and bad high-end consumer products. Damn you Intel. Thank god, ATI will still be here.
why not the main oem market is 100$ and under. Competition there would me faster products at the 100$ price point. Works for me :)

jvd said:
pat777 said:
why not the main oem market is 100$ and under. Competition there would me faster products at the 100$ price point. Works for me :)
I have no problem with OEM competition as long as it doesn't steal from high-end competition. If nVIDIA is gone, the only competition left will be OEM competition until another company arises.

pat777 said:
I have no problem with OEM competition as long as it doesn't steal from high-end competition. If nVIDIA is gone, the only competition left will be OEM competition until another company arises.

But we'll still have XGI and S3...

:LOL:

I don't post here often but love the site.

Can someone explain this better to me. If I look at revenue it's only a 3mill drop and is this not more reflective of sales? I really don't know this answer.

Doomtrooper said:
I don't play 'The Sims', and X800 sales make up 1% of the overall market... what I'm saying is one game will not make a difference.
According to a survey conducted by NPD last summer, 44% of sales came from graphics cards less than $100, while 39% spent up to $149.
9% of sales were between $150 and $249, while just 1% came from graphics cards above $350, obviousally we’re talking about a very small portion of the graphics market.

I have 3 words (titles) for you to ponder in light of the above statement - Doom, Quake2, Half-Life. These games most certainly did make a difference. Each of them massively influenced the market and helped define what a (FPS) gaming system was. There have been other games that have had just about as great an influence on PC specs in the past, Ultima7 comes to mind for instance.

In the end hardware is only as good as the software that runs on it. If the hardware can't run the software the user wants satisfactorily it is for all intents and purposes useless.

radar1200gs said:
Doomtrooper said:
I don't play 'The Sims', and X800 sales make up 1% of the overall market... what I'm saying is one game will not make a difference.
According to a survey conducted by NPD last summer, 44% of sales came from graphics cards less than $100, while 39% spent up to $149.
9% of sales were between $150 and $249, while just 1% came from graphics cards above $350, obviousally we’re talking about a very small portion of the graphics market.

I have 3 words (titles) for you to ponder in light of the above statement - Doom, Quake2, Half-Life. These games most certainly did make a difference.

Actually it's BS: the whole Quake sequel with all the mission etc discs sold around ~4 million copies - Doom didn't even reach a million copies itself IIRC but max. around 1 million.
H-L sequel is the only big guy here with its 8 million copies but H-L never really required strong machine - that's why it's sold very well and CS played by millions: runs on old machines surprisingly well.

Each of them massively influenced the market

BS. You know what is masive influence? The Simes and its almost 40 million copies. Or Mario-franchise and it's ~150 million copies (all platform together, est).
Those are real numbers...

and helped define what a (FPS) gaming system was.

'mmmmmkay, say true.

There have been other games that have had just about as great an influence on PC specs in the past, Ultima7 comes to mind for instance.

Sure, it solds millions (I mean the sequel.)

pat777 said:
Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
pat777 said:
I wonder if nVIDIA really thinks they can regain the market.

It's the OEMs they should be worried about.
They are worried about the OEMs. Listen to the conference call if you have enough time.

Yes, but they've been also been saying in the CC's that graphics cards are no longer their core business, that they don't consider ATI a competitor, and since NV30, they have not been building products with the OEMs in mind. Just look at the OEM wins for NV40 - nobody wants it outside of the comparatively small retail sector.

Nvidia is so desperate to beat ATI in the benchmarks, they are cutting off their noses to spite their faces. Nvidia are taking their eye off the ball, and it looks like they could win the battle and lose the war.

Nvidia should be a on a high after their Doom 3 superiority, and yet their stock is tanking. What do you think is going to happen in a few weeks if ATI demonstrates their superiority on HL2 (especially given recent comments from Valve)? Nvidia's stock could take another dive if shareholders simply decide they don't have confidence in how Nvidia is approching their buisness.

Just look at the OEM wins for NV40 - nobody wants it outside of the comparatively small retail sector.

What about HP selling Compaq systems or is Compaq not a large supplier anymore?

Also, why is nVIDIA saying the 6800 is better for OEMs than the X800 when it's not? Do OEMs care about SM 3.0 or is nVIDIA just marketing?

well there ya go... they cant compete in the vidcard biz and make a profit, they went for the AMD market, and it is not all roses(where art thou nv3),
If NVDA went out, it would just mean Intel would own alot of good engineers and realestate in the valley.And have the best GPU solution. Ati doesnt want NVDA to go away... Intel + NVDA = trouble for ATI Just sack the boss and his henchmen...you know the ones who ran 3dfx into the ground, and the guys who wanted the law suit with 3dfx...

I believe that game tech does in fact shift the industry quite a bit. While all of the iD titles may not have sold as well as the Sims, but when you consider how many other games have licensed the iD technology, now you are talking about a significant number of copies sold. This also applies to other game engines (like Lithtech and Unreal).

Quake had quite a few games that were based off of that tech (most notably Half Life, which was a highly modified Quake 1 engine with some Quake II tech thrown in). Quake II had quite a few licenses, and of course Quake 3 was the biggest iD license program ever. When each of these programs came out, they provided an impetus for many users to upgrade. This does not mean that every person who bought the game went and found an upgrade. However, if a new game like Quake II, Unreal, or Doom 3 convinces even a few, it could add up to even a 5% increase in revenues. So, in the case of NVIDIA, it would have provided another $22 million in revenues for a quarter.

I distinctly remember when Quake II and Unreal came out, the Voodoo 1 was still the dominant vid card. When the Voodoo 2 was released, the messageboards pronouncing the Voodoo 2 as the best card out there for Quake II did build up a LOT of excitement, and retail stocks of the Voodoo 2 were in very high demand. I can see Doom 3 and HL2 providing a great impetus for a sizeable portion of the gaming population to go out and upgrade when they hadn't planned on doing it before playing either title.

Essentially, I think this boils down to "everyone upgrades eventually" but titles like Doom 3 and HL2 will cause a significant portion to do that well before they had planned to. I guess at the end of 3Q we will find out if in fact Doom 3 and HL2 have in fact accelerated many user's upgrade plans.

Back