Tennis

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UniversalTruth, Mar 16, 2014.

1. UniversalTruth

Veteran

Only what is written in the press, nothing extra.

2. UniversalTruth

Veteran

Novak has just won his Third Wimbledon Grand slam title, and 9th in his carreer.

Cheers for him! :p

3. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

I really wanted Roger to win :)

The real news is Serena winning. What a phenomenon. Don't even know where to start. Just amazing.

4. UniversalTruth

Veteran

Nope.
    BTW, I think Roger is gay and touched Novak's a$$. Something strange is on one of the photos, Novak looked back at the other with a killer gaze. :lol:

[​IMG]

Serena is like a man among all the other (pretty) women tennis players. :lol: It is natural that she demolishes everybody lady out there.

Edit: quote of the day (Eurosport comments https://eurosport.yahoo.com/news/tennis-federer-will-walk-park-djokovic-192632373--ten.html ):

Only one man can take on and beat Novak Djokovic, and that's Serena Williams.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#24 UniversalTruth, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  5. tabs

Veteran

edit: never mind

#25 tabs, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  6. Rurouni

Veteran

I think that Federer just don't have the stamina anymore to compete with the younger guys. Skill wise, he is probably still the best, but not by much.
    What surprising me is Martina Hingis. Yes, she play doubles, but 2 doubles in a single tournament and managed to win it both was amazing. Also credit to her partners, especially Paes that can still compete at a high level at that age (42)..

7. London-boy

Legend Subscriber

tabs likes this.
  8. UniversalTruth

Veteran

Ok, she is all yours to bang her. I am not going to be a volunteer, neither would I be impressed by that rubbish.

9. 2014 IQ is unacceptable

Disingenious. Skill is very much a part of the sport.

Simon F likes this.
  10. Phil

Phil wipEout bastard
    Veteran

No mention of Stan winning the French Open this year? IMO one of the most stunning performances in Tennis in a long time... well, perhaps since he beat Nadal in 2014 at the Australian Open, even if that one was a bit hampered by the fact that Nadal then struggled. But it's been rare that a player has dominated any of these two players from the baseline and Stan has done exactly that. Very impressive.

London-boy likes this.
  11. green.pixel

Veteran

Serena could've easily been up to 30 GS by now if she had the persistence of Fed, Djoko or Nadal.

12. London-boy

Legend Subscriber

I think she's where she is today because of her persistence. She had a very dark period with injuries and the murder of her sister, and look at we now. Absolutely on a league of her own, no one can touch her at the moment and it's been like this for a while. And she's by far the oldest on the tour. Coming back from all that and get to the level she is now must have taken a lot of determination.

13. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

She's not even close to the oldest on tour. Kimiko Date is 48.

14. London-boy

Legend Subscriber

You know what I mean. She's number 1, with double as many points as the second ranked player, in a top 100 made mostly of twenty-year-olds. Kimiko is ranked what, 150?

15. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Being young isn't what it used to be in tennis. Lots of players are playing at or near their peak into their 30s, and teenagers don't often make runs to the finals.

16. green.pixel

Veteran

Women's tour isn't what it used to be since Henin retired either.

17. Phil

Phil wipEout bastard
    Veteran

I'm not going to disputing that, but lets not forget that in just Toronto 3 weeks ago, Bencic - 18 years old - defeated Williams rather convincingly in 3 sets in the semis. That after she also defeated 3 other top 10 players en route to win the tournament. That girl has a staggering career ahead of her if she can keep up with that. She's made huge progress in the WTA since last year at the US open when she also defeated 2 top-10 players until being defeated in the quarters. There's a long way ahead of her, but what she has already achieved is already very impressive.

London-boy likes this.