Tekken: Dark Resurrection (with screenshots and VIDEOS!)

Great Visuals, Crappy PSP D-Pad makes this game average in my IMO, the moves are tought to pull off, it took me like 15 tries just to get the starting part of Armor King link throws.

I don't find the D-pad to be too bad on the PSP for fighting games (certainly not like the analog), but I DO find it irritating to actually play with my thumb. At least, it's much harder to play with my preferred method for fighters--controller resting on my knee and fingers on top to strike the buttons like I would in an arcade.

Shifty Geezer said:
I'd have thought that, but aren't there other beat-em-ups that are online? What about DOA4 for example?

If you've ever played DOA Ultimate, then you probably know how slow and laggy it can get.

IGN Review

http://psp.ign.com/articles/719/719836p1.html

9.2!

Closing Comments
Tekken: Dark Resurrection is serious business. It does absolutely everything well and offers a number of options we wish were in last year's PlayStation 2 version of Tekken 5. New modes, new characters (the slow-but-powerful Dragunov and the speedier mash-friendly Lili), incredible graphics, and plenty of other add-ons not only make Tekken a fantastic fighting experience, but one hell of a great PSP game as well.

Nesh said:
man that sucks! So to play a 2 player game I have to find another person that has a PSP and a copy of the game! Bleh!

They should add internet play :devilish:

Actually, like many PSP games, you only need one copy of the game and 2 PSPs to play in Versus mode :D

I find that certainly the white PSP's DPAD plays great. Actually easier to play with than the one on the PS2. I play the d-pad with my thumb, and the buttons with my index and middle fingers, pretty much like I do on PSP.

I'll test it on my black PSP later, this being an original one it probably doesn't play as good.

Also nice though his that the game allows you to play with the analog stick instead of the d-pad. On my black PSP I took the 'knob' off to reveal a tiny little stick which seems to me easier to control that way.

All in all, I must say I am impressed. The only thing I'm worried about is that the online scoreboards are going to be totally useless, looking at the Japanese scoreboards most things seem far too easy and you get max scores/rediculous stuff like 368 in Survival mode, 9999 in Tekken Bowl, etc.. This could probably have been done better.

But still, great stuff.

Got this yesterday. Visually it looks very nice, however I've not got used to the difficulty yet - it seems that the first 4 or so battles are piss easy and then is suddenly ramps up in difficulty. And, yes, I'm finding the diagonals a bit of a pain on this PSP.

I picked it up the day it came out... It's really quite fun -- I hadn't played a tekken game since tekken 1 or 2.

Lots of characters, beautiful graphics, load times that are real quick, etc. I got a d-pad cover for mine, so I can't complain about controls, although I imagine it might be a pain without one.

The arcade/dojo mode are tons of fun -- I was addicted to VF4 Evo for a long time because of that type of thing. Story mode is a pain and isn't really worth concentrating on, if you ask me (Jinpachi can be a complete jerk on anything higher than Easy, and even then he can be ridiculous).

Definitely happy with the purchase!

I found Jinpachi to be much easier to beat than on the PS2 Tekken 5. He's got some real bastard moves, but uses them less often in DR, and they seem to initialize more slowly, too, so they are easier to counter or evade.

After spending a good deal of time on this, I have to say that I'm just incredibly happy with this game. It's just awesome. The practice modes are great also, now you can watch all moves for a character easy and real quick one after the other, and you can practice them real easy too ... great stuff.

Iron Tiger said:
I found Jinpachi to be much easier to beat than on the PS2 Tekken 5. He's got some real bastard moves, but uses them less often in DR, and they seem to initialize more slowly, too, so they are easier to counter or evade.

After getting used to him, he isn't really that hard -- a couple times I've double perfected him (on easy, of course). He can still be kind of cheeseball, but very beatable.

If you want to sell anyone on the depth of Tekken PSP, just go to Practice - Freestyle, select King, press start, select the Command list, and then view the demonstration of each move one after the other. Once you're done, after about 10 minutes or so, he or she will have an impression. :LOL:

I'm half intending to make a little movie of this, although I don't have the best of cameras for this kind of thing unfortunately.

Arwin said:
If you want to sell anyone on the depth of Tekken PSP, just go to Practice - Freestyle, select King, press start, select the Command list, and then view the demonstration of each move one after the other. Once you're done, after about 10 minutes or so, he or she will have an impression. :LOL:

I'm half intending to make a little movie of this, although I don't have the best of cameras for this kind of thing unfortunately.

Yes make a movie and post it here.

Yes make a movie and post it here.

I actually tried this, and ended up with 18 minutes worth of movie ... :oops:

But King's move list contains a number of special grappling combos that is incremental, e.g. there is a series of 6 moves, and then you get to see them the first move, the first two moves, the first three moves, etc. So ideally I should only show the last version of all of them, that would shorten it considerably.

I'm still playing this game all the time, really. Just loving it! Greatest passion so far has been the Command Attack bonus game. My best time, which seems a bit of a fluke so far, is 26 seconds with Asuka, which is actually pretty close to the top times (22 seconds or so). The best way to go about this is to first go to practice mode and do command practice. Once you have managed to get them all (here you can get demos, so that's a great help), then you can try the command attack mode to get 10 of them (7 regular ones, 3 juggle or 10 combos) as fast as you can.

Also a lot of fun (though also slightly depressing) are the online scoreboards, and the overall score (combination of time attack, survival, command attack, gold rush and bowling striker). I'm currently on a total score of 2231, but that is dropping so fast it's nuts. Basically each time I improve I'm still worse of than the last time, so there are definitely some people out there putting their scores online. ;)

I definitely have a lot of room for improvement in the survival (11) and gold rush areas (3707).

I'm going to recharge my camera batteries and see if I can do better. It's hard to get a good picture quality with a regular camera, but it can do a decent framerate so except for losing focus on a regular basis it should be ok.

I'm going to recharge my camera batteries and see if I can do better. It's hard to get a good picture quality with a regular camera, but it can do a decent framerate so except for losing focus on a regular basis it should be ok.

thanks for that. btw, turn off the camera's autofocus, just focus it manually and leave it at that - today camera's autofocusing seems to get confused by abrupt changes of luminosity of the target, which you get a lot from the screen of a videogame.

thanks for that. btw, turn off the camera's autofocus, just focus it manually and leave it at that - today camera's autofocusing seems to get confused by abrupt changes of luminosity of the target, which you get a lot from the screen of a videogame.

Thanks, but I can't change that for video on my old DSC-P73 ... ;) But anyway, it turns out ok. I've converted the MPEG to MP4, a PSP format actually but QuickTime plays it and the file size stays within reason (3 minutes at 24mb).

I've done one to youtube and one to rapidshare, will do all on rapidshare tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMBdY7nfPak - moves 0-39
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4pCfRv0NJw - moves 40-82
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiyMjT3ov_M - moves 82-112
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AYcx8dRtVQ - a selection from moves 112-176

http://rapidshare.de/files/30041734/M4V10003.MP4.html (0-39)
http://rapidshare.de/files/30038927/M4V10004.MP4.html 40-82
http://rapidshare.de/files/30041735/M4V10005.MP4.html (82-112)
http://rapidshare.de/files/30041736/M4V10006.MP4.html (most of the grapple combos from 112-176)

As you can see these are not even all moves, but certainly nearly all ...
I put the opening screen in the first movie so you can also see load times, this is representative of the load times for this game - they don't get much longer for nicer environments; as you can imagine, the animation data for the characters is likely to be the biggest contribution to the load times. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend the MP4 versions on rapidshare while they last, as their quality is a lot better, despite being on 'shakeycam' (it gets better after the first movie).

I really like King's many, many grapples (see the third and fourth movies) - the pick up grabs and especially mid air grabs are really cool. If you knock an opponent off their feet, you can then grab them before they hit the floor.

I'm still in love with the Command Attack. It just seems a good way to improve my overall combo and command skills, though I should really get the European version once it is out so I can learn the proper names and memorise them easier.

My best command attack times:

- Asuka: 28'75
- Anna: 39'66
- Lili: 42.23

These three ladies have reasonably easy juggle combos, making it easier to complete the 10 rounds. I'll try to get all characters under 1 minute (though some I can't even finish at this point, too many combos I can't pull off). I hope that I can get the European version with one of those d-pad extensions, I would like to try if that does make it easier.

Back