Technological discussion on PS3 security and crack.*

There is always a few sad exceptions but already claiming to take this to the world press makes it sound more like sensationalist hyperbole. Also unless the arcade stick is a custom one for disabilities there are quite a few on the market that are still likely to work. Sometimes good people get caught up in the crossfire due to not knowing but Sony is perfectly in their right to kill unlicensed controllers.

It is within my human right to be able to use the Playstation 3 like anyone else.
Human right!!!!!! :D
So what about the color blind ppl, blind ppl, deaf ppl, One armed ppl etc
What about their human rights :(

Human right!!!!!! :D
So what about the color blind ppl, blind ppl, deaf ppl, One armed ppl etc
What about their human rights :(

I can't see diffrent shades of blue. i still play. An old co worker of mine couldn't see reds and he would still play halo online. Deaf people do play video games. I'm sure one armed ppl do also. dude when i was in boys scouts when i was 12 there was a dude who did motivational speaker who had no arms and drove a car and played guitar with his feet..... yes his feet.

You missed the point there eastman. The point wasn't that such people play videogames or not but that it isn't Sony's responsibility to make sure they can. If they can find a way to enjoy it more power too them but there is no right they have to play the system that Sony is depriving them of if they don't make controllers or other systems for those with disabilities.

You missed the point there eastman. The point wasn't that such people play videogames or not but that it isn't Sony's responsibility to make sure they can. If they can find a way to enjoy it more power too them but there is no right they have to play the system that Sony is depriving them of if they don't make controllers or other systems for those with disabilities.

There's a difference from not allowing in the first place and allowing it only to remove the feature later.

I can understand why the guy is pissed as he invested in an item that was working with the PS3 prior to the update and is now useless to him. Sony's answer to combating forays into piracy into the system seems to be to remove features (Other OS) that were working on the PS3 before instead of finding other ways to defeat the hack.

Third party devices unlicensed devices aren't purposely allowed nor are they a feature. It's exactly like they jigkick when they find them and they find a way to stop it without harming other devices they do. Especially on unlicensed 3rd party copies which pass themselves off as the real thing.

Removing the other OS was removing a feature. Killing unlicensed controllers isn't. There is no feature to run unlicensed controllers just like the PS3 has no feature to run the unlicensed code in the XMB/game OS. These are completely separate events and the idea that people are trying to link them is quite frankly laughable. One involves taking away something they gave to you the other involves blocking something they didn't want you to do in the first place.

This probably needs another court case. The guy who has lost the ability to play needs his money back from the store he bought the controller from, because it was sold to him as a legitimate controller but it was unlicensed and should not have been sold. The shop would then have to go to court to show people have a right to plug whatever perpherals they want into their hardware. Then Sony will show they have the right to make whatever changes to the firmware they want because it's licensed. Then the consumer would argue they're entitled to a refund if their device functionality has been compromised. Which'll lead back to the OtherOS debacle and what rights Sony has and and hasn't got.

Ultimately though, I'd say the seller was at fault for not labelling and communicating that these devices are unlicensed and may possibly not work. Whcih no doubt they don't do because it's never been an issue before, but then neither was upgradeable FW!

Sony didn't remove the feature. They chose not to support unlicensed USB adaptors.

MS had their own run in with unlicensed products too. e.g., http://www.techflash.com/seattle/20...tel_over_unlicensed_xbox_360_controllers.html
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/04/the-xbox-360-memory-card-battles-continues/

If it was working before and is not working now, then I'd call it something that was removed. From what I remember, Sony allowed you to use more devices as part of the "more open" mantra which is why KB and mouse was supported.

I'm not saying Sony isn't right to remove the capability, but I rather have them go about defending against hacks a different way than disabling devices. If the jailbreak-like hacks didn't come out, I doubt that Sony would be disabling these features now. As with Other OS removal, the timing is suspect. Whatever happened to it only does "everything".

For the tech savy, would a hack ever be possible via HDMI?

Regarding MS suit against Datel, MS from the start was only allowing officially supported devices as a cash cow to maximize profits.

The hacker tools will usually try to mimic an existing device. In this case, Sony seems to be targeting counterfeit products:

http://us.playstation.com/news/consumeralerts/

"“Counterfeit PlayStation3 Wireless Controllers, which are practically identical in appearance to genuine PlayStation3 Wireless Controllers, have been discovered in the market. SCEA advises consumers to be cautious when buying PlayStation3 Wireless Controllers from uncertain sources as the quality, reliability and safety of counterfeit products is uncertain, and in some cases, may be dangerous.”"

You need a license from Sony to use its technologies (like the JigCard). What USB controllers and adaptors can still work with PS3 ?

Sony has been laxed about peripherals due to its open approach. If it represents a new threat, then it will naturally react to protect itself.

EDIT: The peripheral licensing program is introduced in June 2009:
http://us.playstation.com/corporate/about/press-release/521.html

By entering into a license agreement with SCE through this program, peripheral and accessory manufacturers will gain access to technical documentations necessary for designing and creating variety of licensed products for PlayStation platforms including PSP® ( PlayStation®Portable) handheld entertainment system, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system. Furthermore, SCE will provide "Official Licensed Product logo" to be used on product packages, proving that the peripherals and accessories have been designed for each respective PlayStation platform, qualifying SCE standards and requirements. Further details on the "Official License Program" are available on the official site (http://www.scei.co.jp/olp/index_e.html).

I remember they started the program around the time they talked about Playstation Move and its expansion capability. You'll need technical support and documentations from Sony to work on PS3 devices. At the same time, Sony can better control access to these materials.

The jigkick worked before and now it doesn't I wouldn't call that a feature or even something that was removed. Just cause the ability do use something was removed doesn't mean a feature was removed. A feature is something intended by the manufacturer as a use of the system. Anything else is a bug, exploit or untended consequence of something else. When those other things are shown to be a threat they are fixed if not they are much lower on the priority bar. It's simple as that.

They should compile a list of incompatible devices. There's probably a thread out there.

My PS3 Dynex USB and Logitech Bluetooth keyboards still work. Have a USB hub somewhere. Need to see if it's unusable now.

I got it wrong. It looks like they expanded the program in June 2009. It's not a new program:
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Playstation-official-license-product-logo,news-4152.html

Part of the reason behind that is because the platform holder has full access to the entire system and its protocols. Whenever there's a change or upgrade to the system software, testing is done first and foremost with the first party accessories.

This may unfairly put third party manufacturers at a disadvantage, but this week Sony announced the expansion of the "Official License Program" to peripheral manufacturers in worldwide. This means that peripheral and accessory manufacturers will "gain access to technical documentations necessary for designing and creating variety of licensed products for PlayStation platforms" including PS3, PS2 and PSP.

If Sony changes the firmware to patch a hole, it's possible to break existing devices. If the device manufacturers hop on board, they may be able to update their devices to remain compatible.

That's fairer, forming a partnership where licensed peripheral manufacturer's can accomodate changes, although unless controllers come with updateable firmware, it sounds like they can't accomodate all future changes with current releases, making any purchase of a third-party peripheral a bit of a risk.

It'd be best effort usually. My Dynex USB keyboard is for Windows. It has a Windows meta key but no Playstation key. Still works with PS3 3.50.

You need a license from Sony to use its technologies (like the JigCard). What USB controllers and adaptors can still work with PS3 ?

Sony has been laxed about peripherals due to its open approach. If it represents a new threat, then it will naturally react to protect itself.

EDIT: The peripheral licensing program is introduced in June 2009:
http://us.playstation.com/corporate/about/press-release/521.html

I remember they started the program around the time they talked about Playstation Move and its expansion capability. You'll need technical support and documentations from Sony to work on PS3 devices. At the same time, Sony can better control access to these materials.

I got it wrong. It looks like they expanded the program in June 2009. It's not a new program:
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Playstation-official-license-product-logo,news-4152.html

If Sony changes the firmware to patch a hole, it's possible to break existing devices. If the device manufacturers hop on board, they may be able to update their devices to remain compatible.

Ouch, so basically any accessory made for PS3 prior to 2009 by a third party can be disabled at a moments notice by Sony? As well going forward they could decide to disable all keyboards and mice (I'm not sure how many are actually licensed) if some hack is discovered that makes use of a USB keyboard? ;)

MS may get a bad rap for being money grubbing (due to required licensing for everything) but at least it's been present since launch of the console, so there'd never be any confusion about whether a licensed product would work or not. And anything unlicensed (Datel memory card) was only living on borrowed time.

Regards,
SB

Hmm, I dont know how they would indentify USB-devices, given that the PS3Jailbreak needs some programmable hardware I dont think that would stop the hacks.
Together with having to whitelist tons of regular keyboards, mice and hubs I dont think its the case of detecting hardware (by ids or whatever). I think its probably detecting "fake" hardware which poses as official Sony device but isnt.
So in short a random keyboard/controller will continue to work, but one that says "Sony-Dualshock3" but fails some tests wont.

Back