Technological discussion on PS3 security and crack.*

You are presuming that all pirates live in a country where they can find cheap second hand games & places to rent them. Here in my country second hand marked is almost non existent.

1. The assumption was that new releases (inf2, lbp2) would not work with the jailbreak stick.
2. Is it really worth buying a new "offline" PS3 + $130 jailbreak stick for those games? They can all be found for around $30 or in some cases less, and games like GOW, UC2, and KZ2 can be rented and beaten in a weekend if you're not interested in multiplayer. You'll also get all the trophies proper. Instead of a second PS3 and the jailbreak stick, I'd much rather get a 360 or a PC if I was interested in pirating games. I'm sure at least the 360 route would be a lot more cost effective.
130$ sure not. these stick will be dirt-cheap soon.
I dint upgrade FW yet because of OtherOS removal, I`d surely spend 10$ to be able to hack around in the hardware. Likely wont do me much good, supposedly Ill upgrade as soon I bought a game that needs a new firmware... Im not gonna keep a seperate PS3 around for this.

I rarely play online with my PS3 and i never gave a f*** about achievements , i cant believe i am the only guy that feels that way.

heh you're not the only one, honestly i feel the same if i lost psn functionality i honestly wouldnt care. trophy syncing is soul sucking, download speeds are aggravating, installing is impeding (no background installs)

130$ sure not. these stick will be dirt-cheap soon.
I dint upgrade FW yet because of OtherOS removal, I`d surely spend 10$ to be able to hack around in the hardware. Likely wont do me much good, supposedly Ill upgrade as soon I bought a game that needs a new firmware... Im not gonna keep a seperate PS3 around for this.

Just a word of caution.

You should keep a separate PS3 for this if you want to play with it seriously. Or at least keep your credit card info outside the system.

Having the ability to run unsigned code also means that I can write a rogue program to steal your PSN account data, or wipe out your game saves.

Just a word of caution.

You should keep a separate PS3 for this if you want to play with it seriously. Or at least keep your credit card info outside the system.
Yeah, heres hoping that there will be a homebrew-SDK similar to PSP someday. homebrew on PSP started with leaked SDKs aswell.
Having the ability to run unsigned code also means that I can write a rogue program to steal your PSN account data, or wipe out your game saves.
Disconnecting the lan-cable should be enough to ensure there aint no "phoning home". There shouldnt be anything running after a cold start. deleting saves would be mildly annoying, the only thing that could possible cause grief is wiping bought software keys, but I think thats stored online?

Disconnecting the lan-cable should be enough to ensure there aint no "phoning home". There shouldnt be anything running after a cold start. deleting saves would be mildly annoying, the only thing that could possible cause grief is wiping bought software keys, but I think thats stored online?

I don't know how PS3 OS is designed. PS3 is a very different animal from PSP. The latter is not known to live on the net. :) When abused, I'd imagine the PS3 can be rather b*tchy (Hey look, remote PSEye !). Safer if it's permanently offline. In which case trojan horse should be the only threat.

Your BR game keys should on the discs. PSN game keys should be online. You may be open to Sony's clean up when connected (with or without the token plugged in). Even if you don't pirate, there is no way to tell by simple observation. ... and finally, stay clean.

I cant edit my last post.

I've spent a bit of time researching whats going on. What seems to be happening is they're egging on a Sony specific responce to this to try and better understand stuff. I doubt that'l happen i'm afraid. Behind the hypervisor you will be jettisoned.:LOL:

Nothing is guaranteed. Sony may or may not be able to stop this. The hackers may or may not be able to get around that. This will be an interesting test case not only of how well the inherent security mechanism of Cell is, but probably more importantly how well Sony implemented it.

Saying that Sony will be able to stop this flat and that's the end of the story is just like people saying that PS3 was never going to get hacked. It's certainly not a "clean" hack in that something from Sony was required initially, but then again most console hacks are rarely "clean" with most requiring some level of inside knowledge and theft. As such this isn't terribly different from what's happened to other consoles over the years.

Regards,
SB

Nothing is guaranteed. Sony may or may not be able to stop this. The hackers may or may not be able to get around that. This will be an interesting test case not only of how well the inherent security mechanism of Cell is, but probably more importantly how well Sony implemented it.

Saying that Sony will be able to stop this flat and that's the end of the story is just like people saying that PS3 was never going to get hacked. It's certainly not a "clean" hack in that something from Sony was required initially, but then again most console hacks are rarely "clean" with most requiring some level of inside knowledge and theft. As such this isn't terribly different from what's happened to other consoles over the years.

Regards,
SB
IIRC, xbox and psp were hacked without insider info.

From 10,000 feet level, things may not look terribly different but there is something special in the PS3 security. At the moment, the best route forward is to walk around it.

Then again if a backdoor is revealed, then yes, as always, exploit the weakest link.

Either way, it is clear that something like Cell security would make a good foundation for future media devices if the vendor can afford the extra cost. They should be able to try a cheaper variant.

upnorthsox said:
It sure seems that if you remove the piracy element homebrew is a nonstarter.
It likely limits the target audience that will bother looking at it.

That said, homebrew generally needs a carrot. For enthusiasts that's usually exploring the hw (which was partially closed on PS3), or more mainstream - distribution channels offering call to fame (MS), or money(Apple). Or sometimes when the hw-maker drives initiative (PS2 Linux kit), things can move quite a bit too.

PS3 was kinda just, there.

Saying that Sony will be able to stop this flat and that's the end of the story is just like people saying that PS3 was never going to get hacked.

Actually, they're not exactly wrong. Does anyone expect a security system to stand up to having someone on the inside? If that's the only way the PS3's security can be broken, it speaks volumes for the security model and means we might be a step or two away from machines that won't be broken.

From a homebrew perspective, of course, there's no difference between an inside job and cracking the system, both allow for unsigned code and so the distinction is academic.

What the heck is going on?

"Things just go from bad to worse when it comes to the PS3's security as of late. A certain hacker whose name starts with D and ends in S has had his blog hacked and leaked SCE service manuals for PS3 displayed. In a message on his blog, the hacker of the blog leaves a message which states "f*ck you all". The reason the leak of these service manuals could cause further serious hurt for Sony, is the fact that they contain all the 'pinouts' for the PS3 motherboard and compontents. This leads to the ability to understand how to do hardware mods and the like. Please note, links to the 'leak' are strictly forbidden as are the blog post."

source: http://www.maxconsole.net/content.p...als-for-PS3-leaked-publicly-disaster-for-Sony.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, if the packager has truly leaked then SCE are in trouble, there isn't any need for a hack now if code can be igned with SCEs own tools. This is very bad news. Anyone still believe it was reverse engineered?

Wow, if the packager has truly leaked then SCE are in trouble, there isn't any need for a hack now if code can be igned with SCEs own tools.
Do the service manual explain how to do that? I took by the name that these are hardware reference manuals for repair centres, which shouldn't explain any of the security aspects. the risk here as I understand it is providing hardware details that'd allow modchips to circumvent parts of the machine. Coupled with the debug hack to run unsigned code, and the SDKs to develop code, any number of hack vectors using hardware can be worked on.

Do the service manual explain how to do that? I took by the name that these are hardware reference manuals for repair centres, which shouldn't explain any of the security aspects. the risk here as I understand it is providing hardware details that'd allow modchips to circumvent parts of the machine. Coupled with the debug hack to run unsigned code, and the SDKs to develop code, any number of hack vectors using hardware can be worked on.

ld5Qzl.jpg

Taken from the GAF thread, it looks like SCE's internal toolset for disc imaging which probably means it signs code. This DemonHades guy is probably going to end up in prison if he lives in the US or EU.

Back