Techniques of Special optical effects (lens flare, DOF, etc.) *spawn

Yap ! It complements KZ2'z art style. I think the same subsystem is used to treat Bloom too:

Bloom + Lens Reflection : 13.1% of 1 SPU (2.6% of 5 SPUs)

[size=-2]Static screen doesn't do justice to the effect.[/size]

I didn't see it in the KZ3 videos though (May be screen too small). Hope they put it back coz it will be breath-taking in the ice and ocean level(s).

That's a 2003 work:

These effects are still expensive for real-time rendering like games, but will hopefully be of practical use in the near future.

Should be able to find better examples today. More realistic, or real-time like in KZ2, or both.

Not if they are not real time. It's useless to me.

EDIT: Also, the KZ2 lens flare fits the dull-color art style like a glove. It's actually more colorful than real-life lens flare. It's an old effect, but the way Guerilla Games did it makes the scene vivid and lively, especially with other environmental effects.

The web page is outdated. ^_^

I noticed the download links, downloaded it on a Mac this afternoon but I didn't have Windows VM on that machine to test. Didn't bother to check later anyway because realistic lens flare is not what I'm looking for in KZ2 or even KZ3. The one in KZ2 is artistically chosen to match the KZ2 art style. IMHO, real-life lens flare is not very interesting usually.

If you play the game, you'd see that the colorful/fanciful/exaggerated lens flare complements the dull color scheme very well; and makes walking in Helghan feel like an outdoor exercise because the light and colors "dance" as I move around.

What are you talking about? There's a downloadable demo right there.

Thats quite impressive that based on the screenshots from him a 9700/9500 series ATI GPU from 2003 runs it at 640x480, 25-35fps with 4-16xMSAA. Though techdemo but considering hardware progress should be feasible in games nowdays.

EDIT: Interesting to see the flare effect. 1280x720, 8xMSAA, highest settings, 169tap bokeh DOF(aint that insane?) and fine at a constant 35-40fps on a standard 7900GT.

Last edited by a moderator:
The web page is outdated. ^_^

I noticed the download links, downloaded it on a Mac this afternoon but I didn't have Windows VM on that machine to test. Didn't bother to check later anyway because realistic lens flare is not what I'm looking for in KZ2 or even KZ3. The one in KZ2 is artistically chosen to match the KZ2 art style. IMHO, real-life lens flare is not very interesting usually.

If you play the game, you'd see that the colorful/fanciful/exaggerated lens flare complements the dull color scheme very well; and makes walking in Helghan feel like an outdoor exercise because the light and colors "dance" as I move around.

But then again, you said:

patsu said:
Should be able to find better examples today. More realistic, or real-time like in KZ2, or both.

Did I get it wrong again? ;) What was my post saying?

This one:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1159201&postcount=35

Thats quite impressive that based on the screenshots from him a 9700/9500 series ATI GPU from 2003 runs it at 640x480, 25-35fps with 4-16xMSAA. Though techdemo but considering hardware progress should be feasible in games nowdays.

EDIT: Interesting to see the flare effect. 1280x720, 8xMSAA, highest settings, 169tap bokeh DOF(aint that insane?) and fine at a constant 35-40fps on a standard 7900GT.
Yeah, I assume that nowadays the effect could be further optimized. And with the powah! of Cell it should be no problem to implement in current games xD

But then again, you said: blah..

Indeed ! What's wrong with finding a more realistic or/and a real time version ? (considering that the outdated web page claimed it's non-real time).

Interesting to see the flare effect. 1280x720, 8xMSAA, highest settings, 169tap bokeh DOF(aint that insane?) and fine at a constant 35-40fps on a standard 7900GT.

Yeah, I assume that nowadays the effect could further optimised. And with the powah! of Cell it should be no problem to implement in current games xD

I really do respect that. But it's apple and orange to compare to a console part.
e.g., Would it overheat in a console, specially a 2003 or earlier PC GPU part ?

In comparison, my Cell _and_ RSX folded non-stop for 9 months straight (first few months only Cell folded though). Can survive a suana. Hell, it could run a full game like GoW3 (720p, 60fps, MLAA, complex geometry, and other effects and subsystems). Would be interesting to see what sacrifice KZ3 need to make to support stereoscopic 3D.

If you're interested in tech demoes, then I supposed you can find some on RSX without RROD.

Indeed ! What's wrong with finding a more realistic or/and a real time version ? (considering that the outdated web page claimed it's non-real time).

I really do respect that. But it's apple and orange to compare to a console part.
e.g., Would it overheat in a console, specially a 2003 or earlier PC GPU part ?

Well for starters I ran it and gave numbers and it sure is realtime and does what it is promoted to do and seems to scale to even higher IQ. Though the author did provide screenshots with debug info, clearly showing what framerate and IQ setting he had on the ATI 9700/9500 GPU.

In comparison, my Cell _and_ RSX folded non-stop for 9 months straight (first few months only Cell folded though). Can survive a suana.

The techdemo heates the 7900GT far less than Furmark does, far less. Utilisation seems quite average on the GPU which might indicate it is quite unoptimised and since code is from 2003/2004...

Hell, it could run a full game like GoW3 (720p, 60fps, MLAA, complex geometry, and other effects and subsystems). Would be interesting to see what sacrifice KZ3 need to make to support stereoscopic 3D

Make it 30-60fps, MLAA, ~fairly complex geometry and you got a deal.

If you're interested in tech demoes, then I supposed you can find some on RSX without RROD.

Explain the RROD part becouse I dont get it. Anyway lets relax a bit!

The techdemo heates the 7900GT far less than Furmark does, far less. Utilisation seems quite average on the GPU which might indicate it is quite unoptimised and since code is from 2003/2004...

Unoptimized or not, it's a PC part and a tech demo. Wouldn't be an apple to apple comparison either way.

Make it 30-60fps, MLAA, ~fairly complex geometry and you got a deal.

It's a full game with other subsystems.

Explain the RROD part becouse I dont get it. Anyway lets relax a bit!

Without overheating, crashing and dealing with all the expensive aftermath and bad rep. It is not just a one-off tech demo for gawking only. It's a sustained console operation.

RROD is much easier to type. ^_^

Unoptimized or not, it's a PC part and a tech demo. Wouldn't be an apple to apple comparison either way.

The point is clear that it is a techdemo but the interesting part is the feature is running on GPU shader model 2.0 together with some other advanced features. That was surprising.

The tech is completly overkill.Try to put a full game behind that effect.
Specially in 2003.
Xbox 1, DX8.The guy that created the RTHDRIBL demo created a LDR implementation of the effects and helped Bunkasha integrate it into Double S.T.E.A.L. 2. And if I recall correctly, the game ran at 720p, too.

More info here.

Back