System Reservations on PS4, 4Pro, XBox One, One S, One X, and Xbox Series X|S [2019-12, 2020-03]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by BRiT, Dec 18, 2019.

1. LiveGamer

Newcomer

Why is PS5's reserve such a secret? Shouldn't ever dev making a PS5 game know this?

2. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

Sure, but they also want to keep their job.

LiveGamer and BRiT like this.
  3. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

This time around it seems that information is under NDA and Sony hasn't talked about it.

LiveGamer likes this.
  4. LiveGamer

Newcomer

Surprised we don't even have a rumored amount? Only thing I can think of is Sony feels the amount looks bad compared to Series X? What other reason could there be to NDA such a innocuous detail?

5. JPT

JPT
    Veteran

Sony does not share as many details as MS does, thats basically it. Did Sony ever confirm Ps4 allocations? I think it was leaks that did that, like most things on PS, or do I remember it wrong?

milk likes this.
  6. Proelite

They were pretty upfront about the PS4 and Pros memory allocations.

If they didn't talk about PS5's, it means it looks bad to do so and no one really cares about it.

In practice I doubt one or two gigs difference either way makes much difference due to the SSDs and the existence of the S.

7. scently

Veteran Regular

They actually weren't upfront about PS4 memory allocation. I remember all the hoopla about xb1 reserving 3GB and the assumption was that PS4 was reserving around 1GB only. That is until DF published an article detailing the PS4 memory allocation; 4.5GB for games, 3GB reserve, and .5GB system managed Flexible memory. Sony then contacted DF to clarify the function of the flexible memory.

#27 scently, Mar 8, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  8. LiveGamer

Newcomer

Yes but an extra 1 or 2 gigs would help the XSX's slower SSD by having space for a larger buffer in RAM no?

9. Proelite

Xsx doesn't have a 4k UI which should help save a gig of space.

LiveGamer likes this.
  10. milk

milk Like Verified
    Veteran Regular

KZ Shadow Fall Digital Dragons presentarion dig include a pretty detailed memory budget breakdown pretty early after PS4 release. I guess that was the first official source.

Proelite and BRiT like this.
  11. scently

Veteran Regular

This was made pubic in SIGGRAPH 2014 even though the initial presentation was made in 2013. As I stated above, the first to make the PS4 memory allocation public is DF in an article from July 2013: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-system-software-memory

BRiT, milk, Proelite and 1 other person like this.
  12. vjPiedPiper

Newcomer

Can anyone provide even a broad breakdown of how a console OS requires so much memory?
    even a 4K RGBA image is only 32MB uncompressed, - ie. GUI background.

How the hell do they need Multiple GBs of memory for the OS?

Even if you allocate 1GB for cached images, icons, logos, sounds - where they hell does the extra 2+ GB come from?
    I must be missing something?

The core OS for a console should be well under 500MB, it's basically core cpu drivers + gpu drivers + OS Libs, which are all gonna be optimized specifically for that console.

13. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

The video recording stuff will take up several hundred MB, at least. Up to 2 minutes of 4K 60 video on hand, plus however much memory the encoder needs to work with, plus at least a few full res uncompressed HDR screens to work with.

Wouldn't be surprised if you were looking at something pretty big like 500~1000 MB.

Series S seem to have half a GB less reserved memory than Series X. If it's only recording at 1440p (anyone?) that might be a good reason why it needs less.

RagnarokFF likes this.