Stuff that mostly has nothing to do with Satya Nadella or Microsoft's Difficult Decisions *SPAWN*

I forget Chinese new year big moment for gift in China but we can talk about this in end of the year. Apple will be like often second but profitable.

I wouldn't bank on it. You can expect a new iPhone being announced in September and released in October. It's usually the 3rd calendar quarter (July to September) where sales tale off as everybody knows a new phone is just around the corner. It's surprising Apple has held solid sales for as long as they have but perhaps the lack of a larger phone really was limiting sales before.

I wouldn't bank on it. You can expect a new iPhone being announced in September and released in October. It's usually the 3rd calendar quarter (July to September) where sales tale off as everybody knows a new phone is just around the corner. It's surprising Apple has held solid sales for as long as they have but perhaps the lack of a larger phone really was limiting sales before.

Large phone are very popular in Asia.

Speaking of monopolies I am seriously considering purchase of a certain Chromebook because it packs in a 1080P IPS display for ~$300. At the time I wanted firefox so I wondered if Chromebook can run that...answer is no, Chrome OS can run Chrome and no other browser at all (the excuse is Chrome IS basically the OS, I guess)!

You can do similar stuff to PS3 OtherOS and run most Linux based OSs on most Chromebooks if you want to run firefox.

What do you mean here?
When Google first launched Android manufacturers had the freedom to pick and mix Google's services or alternatives on devices, now you have no choice because it's all or nothing if you want to licence Google Mobile Services (GMS) which includes access to the Play store. If you want the Play store then you have to take all of Google's proprietary stuff as well and are prohibited for using competitors services that would deprive Google of data they desperately want.

whoever wrote 93% of the profits needs to go back to primary school and learn basic maths
one word to prove this is BS. samsung

Samsung profit don't come only from mobile phone and during the few last quarter Samsung profit dive nose because to fight cheap Chinese handset maker they need to decrease margin per phone...

It is write by serious analyst you can find the same conclusion from other people.

I stop here like NRP said it is a MS topic speaking about something Stay Nadella said..

It is write by serious analyst you can find the same conclusion from other people.
but Its factually incorrect, Im bad at explaining things but bear with me
what they have done I suspect is placed the apple profit by itself and gone we'll leave that number alone
OK samsung made $X billion profit, but we'll deduct from that number sony's/backberries etc losses :confused:

I could do exactly the same with samsung = X billion profit
then take apples profits and from that deduct the other companies losses :D

edit: OK I had a search and see where you got your numbers
http://www.businessinsider.com.au/a...profits-in-the-smartphone-industry-now-2015-2

apple = 93% they claim, yet on the same graphic on that page they show its plainly not 93%, Im guessing ~85%, 93% would be the blue and red together

Headline fail
image.jpg

Last edited:
but Its factually incorrect, Im bad at explaining things but bear with me
what they have done I suspect is placed the apple profit by itself and gone we'll leave that number alone
OK samsung made $X billion profit, but we'll deduct from that number sony's/backberries etc losses :confused:

I could do exactly the same with samsung = X billion profit
then take apples profits and from that deduct the other companies losses :D

edit: OK I had a search and see where you got your numbers
http://www.businessinsider.com.au/a...profits-in-the-smartphone-industry-now-2015-2

apple = 93% they claim, yet on the same graphic on that page they show its plainly not 93%, Im guessing ~85%, 93% would be the blue and red together

Headline fail

I agree that their calculating method is quite questionable, but your numbers are off too and in the end even 85% of profits would be nearly the same in this context.

However Apple's profit share during that quarter was 90.7%, not 85%

Here are the numbers:

profits-phone-makers.png

Apple's share was 19.449 billion out of 21.433 billion, when only the figures from profitable companies are calculated. So the point about Apple raking pretty much all the profits during that Q stands.

A more proper question would be, was that quarter representative of other quarters as well.

image.jpg

It does look like a very weak quarter for Samsung. I'm pretty sure this year with Galaxy S6s, they'll number will look better.

I think the point is that even at 80, 70, 60 or even 50%, it's a huge share of the profits considering it's one company against many others, one of which is friggin Samsung.

Exactly. And thanks for bringing in the numbers Dr Evil, I was even more right than I thought ... ;)

agree that their calculating method is quite questionable, but your numbers are off too and in the end even 85% of profits would be nearly the same in this context.
the 85% figure was just a guess I didnt do the calculations. Unless we have all the data we dont know exactly, eg In the chart above they dont include the 3rd biggest mobile maker in the world (after samsung,apple) 'Xiaomi'
You've gotta question the competence of whoever does the data look at Q3 2013, both Apple and Samsung each have more than 50% of the profit share, surely at the company someone would of realized their methodology is flawed, imagine if Samsung had a worse quarter Q4 2014 would the headlines of been Apple made 104% of smartphone profits :mrgreen:
Of course Im in agreement that Apple is making the lion share of the profits
Btw Why is Sony usually making money, I always thought they'ld be losing cash with mobile for a long time $86 million profit 2014, $206 million profit 2013?

I'd like to think that the sales have plummeted because they screwed the pooch on the S6. They removed the best parts of the S5, external memory card slot and user replaceable battery. That definitely killed the sale for me.

Ditto, I switched to a LG G4 because the new Sansungs had no micro sd slot and weak battery. Although truth be told as time goes on there is less and less reason to upgrade my phone. I switched mostly because the camera on my previous HTC M8 was crap and I wanted a bigger screen. Aside from device boredom, I'm not really sure what will get me to switch from the G4. It's getting to where what else can they offer new on the next phones?

It's getting to where what else can they offer new on the next phones?
Completely unnecessary 4K screens of course.

I'm still hoping for new batteries that would keep all the unnecessary and overkill technology running for a little while longer.

And in 5 years or so they'll come up with bloody 5G and we're back from square one.

Completely unnecessary 4K screens of course.

I'm still hoping for new batteries that would keep all the unnecessary and overkill technology running for a little while longer.

And in 5 years or so they'll come up with bloody 5G and we're back from square one.

See with me my M8 and G4 can both run all day long, so for my needs I'm good on battery power. 5G is interesting on paper, but peak download speed doesn't really interest me much, I'd rather have consistent 4G speeds. Right now there are still plenty of places I can go that I can't even load a webpage, especially near the beach, 5G won't do me much good until they can sort out basic data coverage. 4K screens are definitely a lol but yeah they are coming, they want to get 4k on everyones mind so then they can push them to buy 4k video cameras, tv's and the like, but ultimately useless to me. The camera space can still use a vast improvement though. As good as the G4's camera is, it's still a pittance compared to an A7s. So I'm hopeful good things will come in the phone camera space. Aside from that I'd like an affordable 2tb micro sd card, but that ain't gonna happen any time soon. As for the rest? I dunno, the G4 is pretty good as is. Maybe some new back styles? No idea. I'll probably change in a year anyways because I'm a tech nerd though and will want something new....just because.

But a phone will never, ever have a camera that gives the same quality as an A7 or any camera that has a full or even half frame sensor. That's just physics. No amount of super duper technology will ever, ever make up the reality that a DSLR or equivalent have a sensor that's an order of magnitude larger (or more?) than what we can fit in a camera phone.

The reality is that even then, we will of course change our phones every two years or so (sometimes more often, sometimes less) and that's a luxury only this crazy market can afford.

Back