Stuff that mostly has nothing to do with Satya Nadella or Microsoft's Difficult Decisions *SPAWN*

The only thing MS has a monopoly in is the desktop / laptop market and that is a shrinking share of the overall pie.

Every IOS device runs Apple software so perhaps MS is still bigger software wise but the gap is shrinking quickly

Do they even have a monopoly there? Macs and Chromebooks (+whatever linux stuff) is quite popular.

Speaking of monopolies I am seriously considering purchase of a certain Chromebook because it packs in a 1080P IPS display for ~$300. At the time I wanted firefox so I wondered if Chromebook can run that...answer is no, Chrome OS can run Chrome and no other browser at all (the excuse is Chrome IS basically the OS, I guess)!

Thought that was funny given all the crap MS has got in for even bundling it's browser, let alone making it the only one possible to use.

Nowhere near in mobile might be a slight exaggeration? And if you talk about market shares, then you can take absolute quantity of cheap ass Android phones, or look at total revenue and profit, which may paint a different picture ...

In China or other emergent country or in Europe Apple is far from being a big company. They are great in the high end segment but the marketshare is not very big.

http://communities-dominate.blogs.c...e-bloodbath-q1-of-2015-same-ole-same-ole.html

The most accurate analyst in mobile

OS PLATFORMS Q1 2015
Android rules . . . . . 77%
iOS runs second . . . 18%
Windows struggles . . 3%
All others have . . . . . 2%

INSTALLED BASE OF SMARTPHONES BY OPERATING SYSTEM AS OF 31 MAY 2015

Rank . OS Platform . . . . Units . . . Market share Was Q4 . Main Manufacturers of current base
1 . . . . Android . . . . . . . 1,664 M . . . 75 % . . . . . . ( 76%) . . . . . . Samsung, Huawei, Sony, ZTE, LG, Lenovo/Motorola, Xiaomi, Coolpad, TCL-Alcatel
2 . . . . iOS . . . . . . . . . . . 436 M . . . 20 % . . . . . . ( 19 %) . . . . . . Apple
3 . . . . Windows Phone . . . 47 M . . . . 2 % . . . . . . ( 2 %) . . . . . . Microsoft(Nokia), Samsung, HTC
4 . . . . Blackberry . . . . . . 28 M . . . . 1 % . . . . . . ( 2 %) . . . . . . Blackberry
Others . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 36 M . . . . 2 %
TOTAL Installed Base . 2,201 M smartphones in use at end of Q1, 2015

Even Microsoft themselves admit they aren't the dominant player anymore adding PC,smartphone and tablet themselves

Out of curiosity I just checked the latest market share for operating systems. It's shocking. I really thought Mac OS had taken a fair bit from MS lately but it's still under 5%, the rest being various iterations of Windows.
I believe OSX market share is around 7% (yeah.. party time! :runaway:) but for whatever reason everybody who measures market share only measures the size of the largest in-use version of OS X and right now that is 10.10 which is around 4.54% where 10.9 is around 1.47% then it begins to tail off to sub-1% shares.

Have you seen Android marketshare? ;)

Yes, the entire Android marketshare is around 78% of smartphones compared to Windows approximate 90% marketshare of desktop operating systems. Of course 'Android' includes devices which would not qualify as Android now because Google are forever tightening the qualification of what constitutes of Android device. Then factor in that the actual influence of Android is disproportionately lower than its marketshare because of the huge fragmentation of the user base and the spending in the Android ecosystem relative to iOS.

Even Microsoft themselves admit they aren't the dominant player anymore adding PC,smartphone and tablet themselves

Sure, if I had a huge monopoly that meant my ability to acquire and merge with other companies was subject to the approval of three regulators, I'd also downplay my importance too. It's like a convicted serial killer pleading before the parole board they've not dangerous anymore and their rack of guns is just there to fill some space on the wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe OSX market share is around 7% (yeah.. party time! :runaway:) but for whatever reason everybody who measures market share only measures the size of the largest in-use version of OS X and right now that is 10.10 which is around 4.54% where 10.9 is around 1.47% then it begins to tail off to sub-1% shares.

Yes, the entire Android marketshare is around 78% of smartphones compared to Windows approximate 90% marketshare of desktop operating systems. Of course 'Android' includes devices which would not qualify as Android now because Google are forever tightening the qualification of what constitutes of Android device. Then factor in that the actual influence of Android is disproportionately lower than its marketshare because of the huge fragmentation of the user base and the spending in the Android ecosystem relative to iOS.

Sure, if I had a huge monopoly that meant my ability to acquire and merge with other companies was subject to the approval of three regulators, I'd also downplay my importance too. It's like a convicted serial killer pleading before the parole board they've not dangerous anymore and their rack of guns is just there to fill some space on the wall.

The Android ecosystem is under control out of China...

The Android ecosystem is under control out of China...
Out of control? Mostly what you're seeing in China is devices with forked versions of Android. The phones often aren't using Google's services (which by Google's own definition you need to do be an Android device) and aren't using Google's Play store ether. Chinese 'Android' phones are no closer to Android than OS X is to stock BSD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of control? Mostly what you're seeing in China is devices with forked versions of Android. The phones often aren't using Google's services (which by Google's own definition you need to do be an Android device) and aren't using Google's Play store ether. Chinese 'Android' phones are no closer to Android than OS X is to stock BSD.

Under control... Sorry marketshare of fork is tiny out of China.

In China or other emergent country or in Europe Apple is far from being a big company. They are great in the high end segment but the marketshare is not very big.

Yeah iOS vs Android is heavily in Android favor. But iOS is composed of a few flavors of the iphone which is sold only by Apple, while Android is offered by a handful of manufacturer offering dozens upon dozens of smartphone models.

iOS isn't the dominant OS but the iphone is practically the most dominant smartphone device almost everywhere.

Can you provide figures?

Amazon phone sales are weak...

https://www.abiresearch.com/press/2q-2014-smartphone-results-forked-android-aosp-gro/

Quarter 2 2014 sales ABI in the only big analyst group to have done this study and give public result . And when you sells Android phones try to sells other system and Google will take the Android license. Acer try this in China and cancel the fork phone... Fork are dominant in China but weak in other part of the world because Google service and Google market are under license and Google took many Open source part of the OS and they are now under proprietary part of the OS the Google play services...

Last edited:
Do they even have a monopoly there? Macs and Chromebooks (+whatever linux stuff) is quite popular.

That's a bit of an internet myth really. We can see it on other peoples stats, and even my own personal stats reflect that. From the many millions of hits that my websites get yearly, the percentage of users on Linux was 1.x% when I started many years ago and today it's still at a paltry 1.62%. Likewise Macs were around 5.x% when I started and today they are at just 7.15%. What has really changed though is that the percentage of people using Windows to access my websites has plummeted, going from 91.x% when I started down to 59.64% today. In list form:

1. Windows 59.64%
2. Android 16.54%
3. iOS 12.62%
4. Macintosh 7.15%
5. Linux 1.62%
6. (not set) 1.11%
7. Windows Phone 0.59%
8. Chrome OS 0.21%

The drop in Windows users was not from Linux or Mac users but due to Android and iOS users who were at 0% when I started and now account for a staggering 29.16%.

Last edited:
Yeah iOS vs Android is heavily in Android favor. But iOS is composed of a few flavors of the iphone which is sold only by Apple, while Android is offered by a handful of manufacturer offering dozens upon dozens of smartphone models.

iOS isn't the dominant OS but the iphone is practically the most dominant smartphone device almost everywhere.

Out of US Iphone is not the most dominant smartphone. Samsung often have the biggest marketshare or in China Xiaomi because Apple only selles High end smartphone. Most of 90% of hardware smartphone profit goes into the pocket of Apple.

Apple and Google are the two dominant smartphone actor for different reason.
Google need maximum audience because Google bread and butter is advertising and Apple need to sell high end smartphone to do big profit..

In Android ecosystem the big winner is Google, Samsung is not so bad but it begins to be difficult with the China handetmaker taking marketshare in China, Emergent market with Android phone.

Before working in financial software industry I worked a few years in telecom industry for Swisscom and I know a little bit how this industry work...

Last edited:
Out of US IPHONE is not the most dominant smartphone. Samsung is often the biggest marketshare or in China Xiaomi because Apple only selles High end smartphone. Most of 90% of hardware smartphone profit goes into the pocket of Apple.

Apple and Google are the two dominant smartphone actor for different reason.
Google need maximum audience because Google bread and butter is advertising and Apple need to sell high end smartphone to do big profit...

Apple is the market leader in China when it comes to device sales. Xiaomi is second and Samsung is third.

Things have changed pretty dramatically in the last year.
http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-tops-as-chinas-smartphone-market-sputters/

The problem
Apple is the market leader in China when it comes to device sales. Xiaomi is second and Samsung is third.

Things have changed pretty dramatically in the last year.
http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-tops-as-chinas-smartphone-market-sputters/

And next quarter they will not be first again. When a new Iphone goes in sales they are the first smartphone sales and the rest of the year it is not the case. Iphone sales pattern is always the same. At the end of the year Samsung or other handset maker will be the biggest smartphone seller but it is better to be Apple because profit is important.

When I will have time I will show some graphics with Apple having 96 or 98% of profit of all handset mobile industry not only smartphone. Samsung 2 or 3% of the industry profit.

Last edited:
But Apple is the winner because they often have more than 90% of all mobile industry profit even non smartphone handset. Samsung is often the only other handset maker with profit.. Apple don't need to be the biggest smartphone seller they need to sell high margin phone and this why they are the most profitable company of the world and the most valuable company.

Last edited:
The problem

And next quarter they will not be first again. When a new Iphone goes in sales they are the first smartphone sales and the rest of the year it is not the case. Iphone sales pattern us always the same.

The iphone 6 was released in China last Sept. Apple was holding onto the market lead as of last quarter and well into the spring.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...or-apple-in-europe-china-during-march-quarter

1 in 4 of smartphones sold to people in china making just $322-$645 a month were iphones. iphones may be high end devices but its consumed by plenty of people in china that don't have high end salaries.

But Apple is the winner be a use they often have more then 90% of all mobile industry profit even non smartphone handset.
There is no correlation between Apple's market share and Apple's profits. Apple's hardware sells with at least a 31% profit margin and some items have margins as high as 38%. Apple sell a moderate amount of hardware with crazy high profits but their market share has always been tiny. The only market where Apple ever dominated was digital music players but that was a long time ago.

The iphone 6 was released in China last Sept. Apple was holding onto the market lead as of last quarter and well into the spring.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...or-apple-in-europe-china-during-march-quarter

1 in 4 of smartphones sold to people in china making just $322-$645 a month were iphones. iphones may be high end devices but its consumed by plenty of people in china that don't have high end salaries.

I forget Chinese new year big moment for gift in China but we can talk about this in end of the year. Apple will be like often second but profitable.

There is no correlation between Apple's market share and Apple's profits. Apple's hardware sells with at least a 31% profit margin and some items have margins as high as 38%. Apple sell a moderate amount of hardware with crazy high profits but their market share has always been tiny. The only market where Apple ever dominated was digital music players but that was a long time ago.

I know and it is exactly what I say. Apple don't need to have the biggest marketshare but to make the biggest profit

http://www.phonearena.com/news/This...up-93-of-the-mobile-industrys-profits_id65777

93% of handest profit it is crazy... Most of handset maker are in the red...

Back