Streaming PC to TV: What are my options?

Jedi2016

Veteran
So with SteamOS on the horizon and machines like the NVidia Shield, I'm thinking surely someone has thought of this before.

Here's what I'm looking to do: To sit on my couch downstairs with a controller, playing games off my PC upstairs. Controller inputs are being sent to the PC, and the video stream (in full 1080p/60fps/3D, which requires dual-link DVI) is sent back to the TV.

The kicker is that the TV and the PC are literally as far apart as they can possibly be in my apartment. One's in front, one's in back, one's upstairs, one's downstairs. The LAN cable connecting my PC to the router (where the TV is) is right around a hundred feet long.

Now, I'm sure this is not something that NVidia and Valve just magically invented a few months ago, the ability to do this. They just streamlined it and made it easier. Surely people have done this before, even if it is a convoluted process (which I don't really care about).

So what are my options? I assume I'll need some sort of go-between box downstairs that handles all of the communications to the PC. My controller would talk to it, and it would in turn bring in the video output from the PC over the network and send it via DVI to the television (this is, in effect, what the Shield does, is it not?)

What kind of system would I require for this go-between box? I'm thinking something small, maybe not powerful, but it would need to be fast. And obviously some specialized software, probably Linux-based.

On the surface, it seems reasonable to go with something like the Shield, but I think my video requirements (especially the 3D) are more than that little thing can handle. The upcoming Steam boxes don't seem to work this way.

Conversely, would it be more feasible to run it the other way 'round? To set up the PC downstairs next to the TV, as a straight-up home theater gaming PC, and then run video/controls to the keyboard/mouse and the other monitor upstairs, where I don't necessarily need an instant response and direct access to the hardware?

Just an idea, dont use the cat 5 for internet use homeplug, use the cat5 for video you can get video extenders that connect dvi to cat5 and back again
ps: you would need 1080p @120hz yes ?

edit: just realised you want to send keyboard and mouse inputs as well you will need a kvm
easier to just move the pc

I hear homeplug sucks horribly for homes in the US.

You will likely need to look into some of the following just for the video portion:
  • active HDMI cables
  • active HDMI repeaters
  • HDMI over ethernet (cat 6)
  • HDMI over coax
  • HDMI over fiber

The signal quality drop on a VGA cable that long will be undesirable.

@brit I dont think he can use hdmi because of the 3d

Might need to look at dvi to HDMI as well, where HDMI cable is just the broadcast mechanism/transport. Its hard finding reference on running dvi that far. The latest HDMI spec handles 4k 3d and has cables rated for 18Gbps.

Back