STM pulls the plug on Kyro

This is BS.

All that Stuff posted about how there are more than 2 major competitors. All that talk about Future products. "its comming" bla bla bla.

You guys supposedly had good sales, You kicked but with SEGA, Hercules and others on board. Explain WHY???

Did STM Make a profit? how bout 25$ X 4.5 million dreamcast in 1998-1999.

Anyway, this really stinkith. All I can say is that If Nvidia Buys you guys (wich is probobly EXACTLY whats going to happen). I am Going to PUKE.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hellbinder[CE] on 2002-02-08 16:57 ]</font>

Ranting aside, STM has nothing to do with Dreamcast. AFAIK, the Dreamcast chips were/are all NEC made. I could be wrong, but I think the only chips that STM have produced are for the Kyro I and II line of products.

And yes, it would be questionable if those products turned any significant profit.

i don't think STM ever made money from the dreamcast. they were not implied in this, only in the PC graphics cards using kyro.

Ive been sitting here most of the day reading these posts, but now youve made me register :smile:

Firstly, get a grip :smile:

Secondly, NEC made the Dreamcast chips, not STM, and I believe there were about 6 million.

Third, Noone is buying PowerVR or ImgTec. The PowerVR Technology and IP does not belong to STM, so its not going anywhere.

If nVidia bought STM, it wouldnt make the slightest bit of difference to PowerVR.
It would make no sense for nVidia to buy STM anyway, so I wouldnt bother even going down that road.

Did STM Make a profit? how bout 25$ X 4.5 million dreamcast in 1998-1999.

AFAIK there were 10 million Dreamcasts sold, also there was all the Dreamcast chips in Naomi 1 and II arcade machines. But that wasn't ST Micro/IMGTEC, that was NEC/IMGTEC.

Anyway, this really stinkith. All I can say is that If Nvidia Buys you guys (wich is probobly EXACTLY whats going to happen). I am Going to PUKE.

Why would Nvidia buy ST Micro's graphics division? They'd only get the technicians that worked on Kyro 1 and II as well as licences to produce products on PowerVR Series 3, 4 and 5 (they may not even get that), they wouldn't get any patents or anything. Al the petants for PowerVR Tech would stay with IMGTEC.

If nVidia bought STM, it wouldnt make the slightest bit of difference to PowerVR...
... but maybe it would, to some PVR employees, which matters a lot, no? This industry can get very personal, y'know?

:smile:

;)

I meant, business-wise.
nVidia buying STM wouldnt mean nVidia would be buying PowerVR.

Would nVidia stoop so low as to buy STM out of spite? cos thats all it would be.

If nVidia bought STM, it wouldnt make the slightest bit of difference to PowerVR.
It would make no sense for nVidia to buy STM anyway, so I wouldnt bother even going down that road.

Nvidia would have to win allot of lotteries to enable them to buy STM (STM dwarf Nvidia in terms of revenue).. but obviously they could afford STM's graphics division. I agree with you though, it would make no sense for Nvidia to buy ST's graphics division.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Teasy on 2002-02-08 17:32 ]</font>

"Nvidia would have to win allot of lotteries to enable them to buy STM"

Its just easier to write STM than "ST's Graphics Division" every time :smile:

PVR is nothing w/o a manuf partner. STM was that (and the only one). My comment was simply one borne out of knowing what this cut-throat industry is. And many folks who are employees in this industry take this really personally.

I'm just wondering out aloud, that's all.

Hey, would K and Simon join NV? :smile:

Ok People,

I guess it's going to be up to us.

My wife and I have been saving money for a house, but WTF! ;) If a few of us here pool our money, WE can buy STM's graphics division, and then once and for all put a "high-end" PowerVR chip on the drawing board!

Who's with me!

If it means I deffinately won't have to eat any part of my own body then I'll put £1000 ($1500) towards buying STM's graphics division :smile:, thats all I can afford though.

"high end" PowerVR "chip" is already on the drawing board... PVR just needs to execute.

You mean a high end PowerVR chip is already on the drawing board and STM just need to execute.. STM are the guys that make the designs into chips (of course they won't be executing now).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Teasy on 2002-02-08 17:51 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Teasy on 2002-02-08 17:53 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Teasy on 2002-02-08 17:55 ]</font>

Wow - its amazing how even the so called 'News sites' get it wrong:

http://www.siliconstrategies.com/story/OEG20020208S0016

"For several years, STMicroelectronics has been going up against larger graphics chip suppliers, such as Nvidia Corp. and ATI Technologies Inc. Three years ago, the company acquired U.K.-based Imagination Technologies Group, formerly called VideoLogic Group, to strengthen its three-dimensional graphics and video acceleration product offering"

Do you think IMG knew they were owned by STM!! ;)

Back