Steam Deck - SteamOS, Zen2 4C/8T, RDNA2 1.0-1.6 TF, 16 GB LPDDR5 88 GB/s, starting at $399 [2021-12]

I compared to xss (in your post you were comparing to xss), I played last weekend on switch and mario wasn't specialy sharp on 720p 5.5 inch so 800p 7inch imho will not be great, you play much closer to screen on hanheld than playing on tv so far from perfect comparison

BTW the switch renders at a much lower resolution when undocked vs docked, so if you were playing it as a handheld it wouldn't have been native 720p.

BTW the switch renders at a much lower resolution when undocked vs docked, so if you were playing it as a handheld it wouldn't have been native 720p.
its 720p during gameplay on hanheld mode and 900p docked in mario odyssey, its 267ppi on switch, will be 215ppi on steam deck

this thing is so heavy and long.

btw its hilarious that somethnig like this able to properly cooldown a 15w APU while many thin and light Zen 2 laptop still throttles under 15w. laptop manufacturers really cheapened out their cooling solution way too much

Depends on the game

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...om-eternal-switch-the-most-ambitious-port-yet

docked mode, Doom Eternal maxes out at 720p - just like those other titles - but can dip just under 540p when taxed. In comparison, Wolfenstein: The New Colossus dropped as low as 360p when docked, so this is an improvement. In portable mode, 360p is a possibility while 612p is the maximum pixel count.

The neo with the older amd apu seems to do 40-60fps at 720p with 10w TDP highest preset

It looks a hell of a lot better on the Neo imo

I think the advantage here is its vertical cooling. Cool air is brought into the system at the bottom where cool air naturally settles in the environment. It then is exhausted from above after its been warmed. Also the fin stack most likely sits right over the apu on this. In a laptop most will rely on one or two heat pipes to move the heat to the fin stacks closer to the back of the machine where fans can move air out

The legions are good gaming laptops that stay pretty cool but you can kinda see the set up here . Big fans lots of cooling space but the heat still moves via heat pip.

now look at how bad the cooling is in a Surface laptop 3

Its one tiny fan off to the side of the chip.

Its hard to do thin , light and proper cooling in a laptop. But consumers care more about thin than performance because most will just watch youtube and surf the web.

Different engineering issues

I think the other folks doing handheld with off the shelf AMD APUs would be clenching fists. :D
Next year though AMD should be able to make them happy, N5 Process should allow the next gen APUs to sip 30% less power and using RDNA instead of Vega
Albeit not the N6 Refresh

its exactly ppi of galaxy s2 from 2011 ;d

Which would be great IMO. I had an S2 and never once noticed a pixel on it. Resolutions on phones these days have gone well beyond whats reasonably needed for perfect image quality. Even today I run my S10 in HD+ (900p) to save battery and have never noticed a jot of difference from its maximum 1440p.

If the new Steam OS / Proton combo is really good, I hope this is the second coming of Steam Machines.

If Value commission a PS5/XSX level APU for their own box, it'd probably be my next PC.

Yeah but on RDNA2 at 1280x800 you're looking at way more effective power than the Pro per pixel there. Consider the Series S is only 2.5x faster in TFLOP terms (I'm assuming the rest of the GPU scales similarly) which would mean it has the same performance per pixel as a Series S running at something like 1200p. And that's with a Zen 2 CPU and SSD. So it should be capable of graphics very similar to the current gen consoles at it's target resolution and well beyond the previous mid gens.

Hihi, i did read '8 RDNA 2 CUs' for '2 CUs' and was shocked initially :) Already wondered how this could give 1.6 TF.
I see increasing amounts of gfx work is no longer all per pixel, e.g. parts of Lumen, any other dynamic probe updates, or BVH build. So 1.6 feels lowest end but well, it's mobile. If devs want to support laptops, this will work too.
I hope it works out. Specs are too low to convince me fully about low power gaming, but it already makes more sense than overpowered high end. Series X / S seems the sweet spot for both price and power.

Main problem is that Valve has abandonned its hardware often by now...
Hard to trust the company on keeping that one alive for many years.
The nice thing about this is that it's not locked down.
So regardless of valve dropping it, would still be usuable and able to play games.

Be interesting to hear how it performs with win 11 on it.

Which would be great IMO. I had an S2 and never once noticed a pixel on it. Resolutions on phones these days have gone well beyond whats reasonably needed for perfect image quality. Even today I run my S10 in HD+ (900p) to save battery and have never noticed a jot of difference from its maximum 1440p.
300ppi is sweet spot, over this value is only marginal better and waste of battery/gpu power

Main problem is that Valve has abandonned its hardware often by now...
Hard to trust the company on keeping that one alive for many years.

It's definitely a real concern since projects like Proton/DXVK/VKD3D rely solely on contributions from Valve employees despite being open source but other components such as the graphics drivers or the OS kernel can see contributions outside of Valve. The translation layers initially started out as hobby projects before Valve hired the developers work on them full-time and Valve has been working on graphics drivers and the OS kernel long before they even had a concept for this device so I don't see them stopping contributions for these projects anytime soon ...

Last edited:
It's definitely a real concern since projects like Proton/DXVK/VKD3D rely solely on contributions from Valve employees despite being open source but other components such as the graphics drivers or the OS kernel can see contributions outside of Valve. The translation layers initially started out as hobby projects before Valve hired the developers work on them full-time and Valve has been working on graphics drivers and the OS kernel well long before they even had a concept for this device so I don't see them stopping contributions for these projects anytime soon ...

Aye, they might have discontinued some products, but that's hardly the end of the world. It's not like they're Google and just go "Well, we're bored, so no more of this." "But what about the users?" "Users? Fuck cares, what'r they gonna do, use a different search engine? *snort snort guffaw, maniacal laughter*"

I'm oddly kind of interested in this more so as a pseudo laptop/mini PC replacement. Especially if the GPU itself supports more advanced decode than what's available for Renoir/Cezanne (AV1).

btw its hilarious that somethnig like this able to properly cooldown a 15w APU while many thin and light Zen 2 laptop still throttles under 15w. laptop manufacturers really cheapened out their cooling solution way too much

Is there actual information to say that is the case? The official performance specs themselves specifically use a rather large clock speed and TDP range. The FLOPs numbers are also all "upto" as well. Which also why I'm not so sure how the Xbox Series S comparisons would actually turn out in practice.

With that in mind after thinking about this for a bit I wonder what realistic expectations of how much performance over Renoir APUs one should actually expect.

It's definitely a real concern since projects like Proton/DXVK/VKD3D rely solely on contributions from Valve employees despite being open source but other components such as the graphics drivers or the OS kernel can see contributions outside of Valve.
Intresting, I didn't know anything about proton etc.

But if Windows runs ok on it, should still be decent even without valve support.
I'm sure people will create stripped down versions of windows for it.

As for XSS comparisons, it's actually pretty tough.
XSS I expect to run between 900p - 1440p. (normally 900p - 1080p though)
It does have 16GB of memory though so that's nice.
4C8T cpu nice but may struggle with newer games going forward.
For the price compared to switch does seem very competitive.

Back